• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Generative Remove (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products.
Post Camera Raw feedback here

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look at Generative Remove, which makes it easier to remove unwanted objects and distractions, even on complex backgrounds, with a simple brush stroke. Generative Remove is powered by Firefly AI.

How to use Generative Remove on a desktop:

• You can find Generative Remove under the newly renamed Remove panel (aka “Heal”).
  • Make sure the “generative AI” checkbox is enabled before you start brushing (note: when unchecked, Lightroom will use Content-Aware Remove to fill your brushed spots). 
  • By default, you will be given a moment to refine your selection with an add or subtract brush. Remember to include shadows for a more accurate result! You can also skip this step by holding down ‘CTRL’ on windows or ‘CMD’ on mac as you finish your brush stroke. 
  • Once you’re ready to apply and have accepted the terms, Generative Remove will use Firefly AI to remove your distractions and intelligently fill in the space that’s left by the removed objects. 
  • Note: stable internet connection is required to use this feature.
  • Generative Remove also lets you choose from multiple variations, so you can pick the one you like best, giving you full creative control. 

Checkout the FAQ and Best Practices

Please give it a try and share feedback and/or report variations in this community forum. It would greatly help to include details like which app you are using (i.e., Lightroom Classic or Camera Raw) and other system details. Our team will continually monitor this thread to track issues to improve the future experience.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager
Posted by: Rikk Flohr 

Update:
Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results.
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. You can avoid these issue by following the guidance provided in this linked tutorial. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace

The recommended order for applying edits is:

1. Denoise 
  2. Heal (includes Generative AI Remove)
  3. Crop (includes traditional Cropping, Lens Correction, Transform, or any operation changing the geometry of the image)
  4. Edit
  5. AI Selective edits

If you deviate from that, you may see the removed object remain as a ghost image. If this occurs, you will have to use Update AI Settings, which can be found under the Develop module 'Settings' menu.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1326 Replies 1326
New Here ,
May 24, 2024 May 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

das generative Füllen in Lightroom habe ich getestet. Auf die Ergebnisse hab ich gar nicht erst gewartet. Habe nur eine ca 5 mm x 15 mm großen Bereich markiert (Baukran). Ich bin eine Etage tiefer gegangen und habe mir Kaffee geholt. Als ich wieder vor dem Rechner saß, war Lightroom immer noch nicht fertig  Nein, macht ihr euch keine freunde.

Schneller geht ist, wenn man mit Rechtsklick das bild in Photoshop öffnet, dort bearbeit und zu LR wieder speichert. Solange die Schnelligkeit fehlt meine Empfhelung: auf diese funktion verzichten!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

90% of the time I use this, I want to just remove the object and replace it with a better understanding of the background that the remove tool.  But this tool seems to constantly want to replace the object with a random other object that I have no say in.  Very strange.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Works very well to suppress a bin in the background.

But trying to suppress :

- a person in the background : the IA replaces by another person

- a person's head in the foreground : the IA replaces by another head.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's my 2 cents about Lightroom Classi "removing" (do not remove anything) function....I'm trying to remove a bag of chips from an image...but it just generated other things...see images attached2.jpg1.jpgchips.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, in my cast the tool doesn´t work, when the green bar it stays on and doesn´t finish. In Photshop Beta it works alright.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk and Ian,

I appreciate your repeated advice about being sure to select "shadows, reflections or projections" in order for Generative AI to cleanly remove an object rather than replacing it with some other (typically random) object.

However, you're probably getting an accurate sense from numerous other messages here that for anything but the most basic removal tasks, the average Lightroom Classic user is not going to do this intuitively, and even if they do my experience so far has been that it's a roll of the dice as to whether G-AI actually removes the object or attempts to replace it.

I'd also propose that if G-AI is smart enough to detect shadows or other artifacts and to take that finding as a signal that it should go about the intensive process of generating a synthetic object to replace the one being removed, it should also be smart enough to instead expand the selection to include the artifact and to remove it along with the selected object.

I suggest (again) that the choice of whether to "remove" the object (replacing it with a plausible, synthetic background) or to "replace" the object with an AI-generated surrogate for the removed object should be an option available to the Lightroom Classic user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removing sensor spots used to be really easy, now it's become impossible to do it decently. Why does everything have to be AI when things worked really great before? Is this some marketing stuff to sell your product?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kayl46517980  It is not recommended to use Gen Remove for simple spots - especially sensor dust. The previous tools are still there and far more efficient for simple corrections. 

Please see: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/using/generative-remove-faq.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the most cases the AI-Removal works flawles for me, in one case it changes  a Powergridpole with a different type of Powergridpole. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It did not work so well for me.  I tried to remove an individual from a photo with 3 persons.  I highlighted the person to be removed and the new Generative Remove AI tool simply replaced the person to be removed with another person, origin unknown.  I have attached a before and after photo. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@richardb60793086  I had no trouble with your image. Are you selecting a wide enough area to get all extraneous parts? Shadows? Reflections? Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 2.30.53 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rikk, I tried it again.  Per your suggestion I included a little more than the subject in my selection, and it worked perfectly!  It removed the person and perfectly filled in where the person was, even keeping the pattern of the curtain consistent.  This is pretty astonishing feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always remember, if you leave behind a shadow, a reflection or a leg under a table, the AI will try to make sense of it by inserting something to create the shadow, reflection or the leg....

A little wider is always a little better, too, as it blends the scene better. 

Perfect? No - better than all the previous tools? Yes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will be a great tool for removing objects, but the few times I have used it so far I notice that sometimes it just tries to replace the object with a similar object and it is not removing the object.  For example, I had a rope in a picture and when I selected the rope to remove it just replaced it with another AI drawn rope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing that has always frustrated me about any form of removal in LrC is how it performs along the images of edges. This poor performance continues with Generative AI. If I have an image of sand—just featureless relatively uniform sand—and in the corner is a small shadow cast by the photographer, I can completely select the shadow with borders around the small shadow, Generative AI will generate a different shadow. Maybe the newly generated shadow has a different shape or is smaller, but LrC can't seem to figure out that I want that tiny corner to look like the rest of the image. Ps never has this problem. This applies to rock or other distractions on the edge of the image that I try to clean up. Ps removes the distraction while, more often than not, LrC just generates a different version of the distraction. (macOS & LrC latest versions)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to me the tool is misnamed--it doesn't remove something selected so much as it replaces that something.  There is perhaps a need for Adobe to decide which of these functions is the primary one.  The "generative" part suggests replacement more than removal, but many of us seem to be looking mostly for removal, since that's what the tool is called.  Perhaps there could eventually be a way for the user to choose between replace and remove?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What an absolute perfect tool that s been added into Lightroom.

I have always used the removal tool with my Samsung phone because it never worked for me with the Adobe applications but this new feature in Lightroom........It's Just.......... Brilliant! Keep up the great work and can't wait for the final result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Está muy bien en principio, pero al igual que en Photoshop, en algunos casos al generar algo,  agrega algo que no viene al caso, debe de haber la opción de simplemente quita el objeto, la persona o lo que sea SIN PONER OBJETOS. En un caso particular quiero quitar una persona y necesariamente me pone otra persona, sin entender que lo que quiero es quitarlo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature is amazing.  Objects which were difficult to remove because of a comlex background now disappear in seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love the updates for generative AI and remove tool, however, I am not able to manipulate the spot that I try to remove or heal. This is how I would blend with the background more. I would love to be able to have that feature back! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I would like to know if someone can help me with my problem, yesterday I updated lr and even that does not work very well to remove objects I was working masks tools like creating background mask and subject, today I no longer work, uninstall the app and I returned to intalar and still does not work, download the previous version and if I funsiona, if someone can tell me what the problem or is because this is still very new version and if someone is presenting the same problem, thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent feature! Recommend the ability to point the tool at another reference image. E.g. a series of photos taken of a street scene where you want to remove a vehicle. If you could point the tool at another photo where the vehicle has moved slightly, this would help in the creation of a more accurate background. Would be especially useful where there is text that is partially obscured by the object you wish to remove.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me gusta mucho porque facilita la edición. Lo que me ha empezado a pasar y que no sé si tiene que ver con esta actualización, es que en las máscaras no detecta sujetos ni cielos cuando concretamente los sujetos son más que evidentes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had high hopes but I am finding it pretty useless and I pretty much will have to keep going into PS to actually remove objects. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola, actualicé hoy Lightroom con gran expectativa, y cuando intento aplicar la opción quitar para remover objetos o personas, no me funciona, en cambio me cambia (en mi caso) una persona que quería remover, por otra parecida, y me da tres opciones. Pero lo que quiero es eliminar esa persona u objeto. ¿Qué estoy haciendo mal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines