• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Generative Remove (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products.
Post Camera Raw feedback here

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look at Generative Remove, which makes it easier to remove unwanted objects and distractions, even on complex backgrounds, with a simple brush stroke. Generative Remove is powered by Firefly AI.

How to use Generative Remove on a desktop:

• You can find Generative Remove under the newly renamed Remove panel (aka “Heal”).
  • Make sure the “generative AI” checkbox is enabled before you start brushing (note: when unchecked, Lightroom will use Content-Aware Remove to fill your brushed spots). 
  • By default, you will be given a moment to refine your selection with an add or subtract brush. Remember to include shadows for a more accurate result! You can also skip this step by holding down ‘CTRL’ on windows or ‘CMD’ on mac as you finish your brush stroke. 
  • Once you’re ready to apply and have accepted the terms, Generative Remove will use Firefly AI to remove your distractions and intelligently fill in the space that’s left by the removed objects. 
  • Note: stable internet connection is required to use this feature.
  • Generative Remove also lets you choose from multiple variations, so you can pick the one you like best, giving you full creative control. 

Checkout the FAQ and Best Practices

Please give it a try and share feedback and/or report variations in this community forum. It would greatly help to include details like which app you are using (i.e., Lightroom Classic or Camera Raw) and other system details. Our team will continually monitor this thread to track issues to improve the future experience.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager
Posted by: Rikk Flohr 

Update:
Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results.
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. You can avoid these issue by following the guidance provided in this linked tutorial. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace
  • The recommended order for applying is: Denoise - Heal (includes Generative AI Remove) - Crop/Edit - AI Selective edits. If you deviate from that you may see the removed object remains as a ghost image. If this occurs you will have to use Update AI Settings, which can be found under the Develop module 'Settings' menu.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1143 Replies 1143
LEGEND ,
Jun 25, 2024 Jun 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jack madsen 3: "have not found a way to make it remove anything...always replaces with another object no matter how much open border you leave around the object to be removed."

In general, we've been able to solve this issue for everyone who's followed through. Please export one of the problem photos as a full-resolution JPEG, attach it here, and call out the object. Either we'll see what's going wrong or, if not, it will provide Adobe with an example problem photo.

It's not clear which instructions you've read, but these are the most complete:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just WOW!!! Did a real estate shoot yesterday afternoon and tile guys were still working on the flooring in basement, had their chop saw & materials spread on the ground in the backyard, and had their work trucks parked in the driveway.  Using generative remove in LRC worked fantastically!! Vehicles -- gone and replaced with correct driveway/lawn/edging. Chop saw & materials -- gone and replaced with good-looking lawn that matches rest of yard.  Tile guy kneeling on floor with box of flooring, tools, etc lying on the ground --- gone and replaced with flooring pattern that looks like a complete installation.

This has saved me scads of time and produced quality photos that my client absolutely loves!  I am sold!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would think that the remove function would, you know, remove an object and blend it in with the background.  But I instead get a ton of different random items in lieu of the item I am removing (just as with Photoshop).  I am not always at the edge of a photo, it is in the middle as well that this happens.  I don't want me removed and replaced with a funky looking duck or other strange bird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@default4eem19pmhn01: "I instead get a ton of different random items in lieu of the item I am removing (just as with Photoshop).  I am not always at the edge of a photo, it is in the middle as well that this happens. "

If the instructions in this article don't help:

then please export one of the problem photos as a full-resolution JPEG, attach it here, and call out the object. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2024 Jun 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C est vraiment cool et ça fonctionne très bien !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pour mon utilisation, je n’est rien à en dire. 

L’outil est parfait

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tried to remove a wire running across a grey sky. The wire is not removed, just exchange with a more blurry wire, in all 3 proposals. Tried to re-generate several times, alas, the wire is not deleted.

Why is this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

@Murseblonder: "The wire is not removed, just exchange with a more blurry wire, in all 3 proposals."

Looking at the screenshots, there are two possibilities:

1. You're applying Remove on top of a Sky mask. If you do the menu command Settings > Update AI Settings, then the shadow of the wire should disappear. In general, Adobe wants you to apply Remove first, then Sky masks (not a natural workflow for many people, but that's how they designed it).

2. You've applied Crop, Lens Corrections, or Transform, such that some of the pixels of the wire have been cropped out and aren't being selected. In this case, Remove will try match those remaining pixels. Temporarily turn off the Crop, Lens Corrections and Transform, apply Remove, then turn them back on.

See here for more details:

If this doesn't help, please attach the original photo here (not an export) so we and Adobe can see the issue in detail. If the forum won't let you attach it, upload it to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar and post the sharing link here.

Using your low-resolution screenshot, Remove removed both the cable and the white line outlining the selection:

1-2-2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buenas tardes.

No funciona correctamente, ya que al querer detectar un cable electrico, detecta otra cosa totalmente ajeno a lo que estaba marcando.

JuanPedro38278541cnp3_0-1719425747578.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

Google translation: "when it wants to detect an electric cable, it detects something else totally unrelated to what it was marking."  Error message: "Remove. No object has been detected."

You've brushed over the horizontal cable but the white outline of the brush marks are vertical.  There have been a couple of other similar reports that the brush strokes on a portrait photo don't correspond to what LR actually indicates as the brush strokes. There's clearly a problem with Remove interpreting the orientation correctly.   Unfortunately, I'm not able to reproduce the problem.

To help get an actionable bug report, please upload the original photo (not an export or screenshot) to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar and post the sharing link here.  Unless Adobe is able to reproduce the problem, or unless many people report the symptoms, they generally won't pay much attention.

Using your low-resolution screenshot, Remove did a very good job of removing the cable:

JuanPedro38278541cnp3_0-1719425747578.jpg

As a workaround, if you export the photo as a TIFF and then reimport it into LR, Remove should work properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any tips on removing bubbles from an underwater scene?, I've not had much success although I think the way it can remove "objects" is great!
Here's an example image I've just been working on

marinepix_0-1719437052945.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

actually - forget what i just said... I just installed 13.4 and tried again. This time it nailed it!!

marinepix_0-1719440263051.png

it might not stand up to close scrutiny but I suspect I could get it perfect with more effort.
What an excellent tool this is!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2024 Jun 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tengo 2 preguntas:

1. Si aplico la herramienta IA generativa (en Lightroom Classic) sobre una previsualización inteligente, esta se aplica sobre la imagen al 100% o al tamaño de la previsualización? Cuando desactivo la previsualización no queda bien a tamaño 1:1, queda borroso.

2. Si aplico esta herramienta IA Generativa desde Lightroom o Lightroom Deskop a una foto de una colección sincronizada desde Lightroom Classic se aplica en la previsualización o en la foto original?

Me está pasando que el trabajo realizado se ha aplicado a las previsualizaciones, y no a las fotos tamaño 1:1. Quedando difuminadas las zonas que he tratado con la herramienta !quitar"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used it on some small things and its done great. It has however left some bright spots over the object I have removed but, ive been able to fix it so far. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MY AREAS UNDER 'REMOVE' LOOK NOTHING LIKE THE ONE I JUST SAW ON PHLEARN...NOTHING REMOTELY LIKD WHAT HE WAS WORKING WITH...MY 13.4 IS 'EARLY ACCESS'....BUT AGAIN HAS NO APPEARANCE LIKE THE ONE HE WAS USING AS AN EXAMPLE...I WATCHED HIS VIDEO SEVERAL TIMES, THE SCREEN IN MY 'REMOVE' IS NOTHING LIKE THE ONE HE SHOWED....SHOULD I REINSTALL 13.4?  PHLEARNS DID NOT SHOW 'EARLY ACCESS' IN THE BOX....ANY IDEAS???????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Frankie36, please post a full-resolution screenshot (no a phone pic) of the entire LR window, so we can see what you're seeing and get the issue straightened out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EU ESTOU AMANDO, ERA O QUE FALTAVA NO LR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a clear yellow line not removed 
other pictures the same with clear objects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Gerard38305403cjab: "a clear yellow line not removed, other pictures the same with clear objects"

See this article for how to remove objects more reliably:

Most complaints about Remove are addressed in the article. But if it doesn't help, please attach the original photo here (not an export) so we and Adobe can see the issue in detail. If the forum won't let you attach it, upload it to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar and post the sharing link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find the generative remove in Lightroom Classic very helpful, but the replacement resolution is much too low and the replacements, at 100%, often reveal  a vicious halo around the edges.  Sometimes there is stippling or what may be a grid patter in the repair area also.  I am confident in time these issues will be resolved........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@corneliusr7095, please attach here full-resolution JPEG exports of the original photos and the results of applying Remove showing these different issues. That will provide Adobe with actual examples of what's going wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2024 Jun 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is dissappointing - not nearly as good or effective as the AI tools in Photoshop.  Still better to Edit in Photoshop (edit a copy) to remove distractions, generate extra space etc first, then go back into LR and do all your other edits etc there.  You keep a copy of the original as well, in case it all goes wrong!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Top Cat2000: "This is dissappointing - not nearly as good or effective as the AI tools in Photoshop."

Could you please post an example or two of the original photo and the results of LR Remove and Photoshop Remove?  Most of the reports here of Photoshop doing better are addressed in this article:

It would be helpful to know in detail which issues you're facing with LR Remove.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A difficult image to edit, so ignore the underexposed ship.  In the LR edit, there is a ghost image where the wind turbine has been removed - this took about 4 attempts to get a reasonable result.  The cars were fairly well removed in LR (2 attempts), and the figure by the bollard was more successfully removed, (1st attempt) as was the smaller mast in the distance.  I then used the Generative fill in PS to compare, and the replacements were all better than the LR ones.Galeon Original.jpgGaleon LR edit.jpgGaleon PS edit.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Top Cat2000, the ghost outline of the wind turbine is caused by doing Remove (any kind of remove) on top of the an AI mask (e.g. Sky).  The original mask didn't include the turbine, so when you removed it, its pixels were replaced by the original unedited sky. You can either do Settings > Update AI Settings to recompute the mask, or apply Remove first then the mask (which is what Adobe recommends, though that doesn't match the natural workflow of many people).

As for removing the person next to the bollard, I didn't see any qualitative difference between LR and PS. 

The cars, however were tedious for me to get an acceptable replacement with both LR Remove and PS Generative Fill. Lots of just-OK variations but nothing very good.  Here is the best I did with LR after many tries (PS was different but no better):

Galeon LR edit JRE 2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines