• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Generative Remove (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products.
Post Camera Raw feedback here

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look at Generative Remove, which makes it easier to remove unwanted objects and distractions, even on complex backgrounds, with a simple brush stroke. Generative Remove is powered by Firefly AI.

How to use Generative Remove on a desktop:

• You can find Generative Remove under the newly renamed Remove panel (aka “Heal”).
  • Make sure the “generative AI” checkbox is enabled before you start brushing (note: when unchecked, Lightroom will use Content-Aware Remove to fill your brushed spots). 
  • By default, you will be given a moment to refine your selection with an add or subtract brush. Remember to include shadows for a more accurate result! You can also skip this step by holding down ‘CTRL’ on windows or ‘CMD’ on mac as you finish your brush stroke. 
  • Once you’re ready to apply and have accepted the terms, Generative Remove will use Firefly AI to remove your distractions and intelligently fill in the space that’s left by the removed objects. 
  • Note: stable internet connection is required to use this feature.
  • Generative Remove also lets you choose from multiple variations, so you can pick the one you like best, giving you full creative control. 

Checkout the FAQ and Best Practices

Please give it a try and share feedback and/or report variations in this community forum. It would greatly help to include details like which app you are using (i.e., Lightroom Classic or Camera Raw) and other system details. Our team will continually monitor this thread to track issues to improve the future experience.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager
Posted by: Rikk Flohr 

Update:
Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results.
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. You can avoid these issue by following the guidance provided in this linked tutorial. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace

The recommended order for applying edits is:

1. Denoise 
  2. Heal (includes Generative AI Remove)
  3. Crop (includes traditional Cropping, Lens Correction, Transform, or any operation changing the geometry of the image)
  4. Edit
  5. AI Selective edits

If you deviate from that, you may see the removed object remain as a ghost image. If this occurs, you will have to use Update AI Settings, which can be found under the Develop module 'Settings' menu.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1345 Replies 1345
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2024 May 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@johnprose 

The behaviour you describe regarding an image that you susbsequently denoise is expected. The order edits should be  Denoise - Heal (Including Gen Remove) - Crop/Edit - AI Selective edits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2024 Jul 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try that Ian.  My preference has always been to get everything right and denoise last 🤷‍:male_sign:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

since switching on Ai remove tool it has moved my spot brush out of sync. 

On the screenshot I am removing a spot on the blonde girls chin but the tool is in the wrong place!!

It has disrupted my whole workflow for this job

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The tool works mostly good - for me the white line when starting to mark the area which should be removed  is not very good (too bold) - would like to have the colored field of the pencil so the borders are much more better to see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tolle Erleichterung, ht bei mir überwiegend sehr gut funktioniert. Die Wartezeit ist akzeptabel!

Gruß

Andreas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wonderful., It is not a remove tool, It replaces the object with something replicating the environment. This is a feature that I was really looking forward for. Very useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk,

It's amazing. It's amazing. It's amazing.  So happy this is in lightroom classic now, saving me from going to PS. Does a great job for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried removing a light pole 3 times. Regenerated 3 times. Reselected 3 times. Always gave me some form of the pole, with or without the base, even with the shadows removed. Otherwise, it has mostly been helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to ensure that the connected shadows are removed otherwise the model will put something in to cause the shadow. I've attached a screenshot of your image with the selection/mask shown and pole gone.

remove shadows.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Handy tool, I'm glad you've added this into Lightroom Classic instead of having to open photoshop for each of these edits. I would recommend "subtract" being the default option rather than add. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please disregard my last post, I used your feature wrong lol whats there is working great 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very usefull, but if the object in some big it doesn't remove just remplace. Waiting the final version looking foward for it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love this but it crashes now 100% of the time I use "Remove" with Generative AI unchecked - so now I can ONLY use Generative AI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very disappointed.  I was hoping it would save me going into Photoshop to use the remove tool there which is excellent and gives me what I want 95% of the time on the first go.  I have tried to get rid of an overhanging branch using the new AI remove tool 17 times now and the branch or parts of it are still there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2024 Jun 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marche tres bien pour remplacer, mais je n'arrive pas a supprimer une personne ou un objet d'une photo, j'ai pourtant utilise toutes les options ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a little bit of practice time I used this tool very often (let´s say 80% !) directly in LRc instead of switching to PS. What I would like to have changed in the final version is to use only the "red colour" for designing the mask instead of the "white line" (it´s too bold for me - with the "red colour" like in PS or when using "improvement of the mask" it´s easier for me to get the exact mask!). Thx 4 incorporation of this tool into LRc.

Alex.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my use so far the tool mostly produces excellent results. Sometimes the generated patches don't blend quite as well as I would like. Especially in those cases I love the variations feature: one is usually almost perfect.

I have run into the issue others have mentioned, when the tool stubbornly keeps replacing one unwanted object with a different one. I would be perfectly happy with a removal-only tool that replaces an unwanted object with a patch that is intelligently synthesised from the surrounding areas.

All I want to be able to do in LR is removing stuff with as little traces as possible. If I wanted to put something else there, I would resort to Photoshop where you have control over what gets placed there instead. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the introduction of the generative AI non of the spot removal tools work well anymore. They don't really remove spots or other small deistractions (sensor dust, straws of gras in the foreground, short plane tracks in the night sky) anymore, only making them a little less visible. They are alwys still visible afterwards, just a little less visible. Doesen't matter ehich tool I choose and aöso generative AI doesen't do a better job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your description suggests that you've applied the Generative AI, Clone, Heal tools to an image with an AI mask. You can easily check whether this is the case or not by looking for a red dot below the Masks icon on the toolbar. If red dot is present, then you'll need to 'Update the AI Mask'. See atatched screenshot.

To avoid the same issue in future, it's best to apply the Remove tool before creating an AI mask.

red dot mask.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestion. I was indeed using AI maks. But updating them made no change. So I completely reset an image and tried again. Still got the problem as you can see in the screenshots.

That's the original image:

Bildschirmfoto 2024-06-01 um 22.39.23.png

With the normal remove tool:

Bildschirmfoto 2024-06-01 um 22.39.45.png

With the AI remove tool:

Bildschirmfoto 2024-06-01 um 22.40.58.png

With the healing tool:

Bildschirmfoto 2024-06-01 um 22.40.03.png

With the clone tool:

Bildschirmfoto 2024-06-01 um 22.40.11.png

As I wrote, other things like sensor dust, hot pixels, airplane tracks, ... suffer from the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2024 Jun 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m not sure I see (or understand) the solution you describe, but I did go
back and do some more work with the photograph I had previously tested.
It’s possible that I was expecting this tool to work differently than it is
intended. Taking a different approach I actually got some pretty impressive
results.

I will say that when I try to remove larger objects similar to some of what
I’ve seen demonstrated in the forum more often than not It simply replaces
the area I want to remove with an altered version. On the other hand, I
was able to remove areas in front of other objects or directly adjacent to
them with great success. As long as I kept the areas I wanted to edit
relatively small.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2024 Jun 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. My problem is, that all remove tools don't work properly anymore. They all don't remove objekcts correctly anymore and only kind of tone them down. This even happens also for small areas like hot pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2024 Jun 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kernto Check the Opacity slider for each of your repairs. It sounds like it's turned down, whereas it should be at 100 for complete removal. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2024 Jun 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for your help, I guess that was the solution.

I guess I should have nitced that myself😅

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adjacent photos shot in burst. I removed 2 people, 1 van, copped final. Generative remove worked well, except for the slogan on the wall about South Africa for a free Palestine. The parts of the slogan got mashed into something unreadable, so that necessitated more cropping than I had originally wanted to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines