• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Generative Remove (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products.
Post Camera Raw feedback here

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look at Generative Remove, which makes it easier to remove unwanted objects and distractions, even on complex backgrounds, with a simple brush stroke. Generative Remove is powered by Firefly AI.

How to use Generative Remove on a desktop:

• You can find Generative Remove under the newly renamed Remove panel (aka “Heal”).
  • Make sure the “generative AI” checkbox is enabled before you start brushing (note: when unchecked, Lightroom will use Content-Aware Remove to fill your brushed spots). 
  • By default, you will be given a moment to refine your selection with an add or subtract brush. Remember to include shadows for a more accurate result! You can also skip this step by holding down ‘CTRL’ on windows or ‘CMD’ on mac as you finish your brush stroke. 
  • Once you’re ready to apply and have accepted the terms, Generative Remove will use Firefly AI to remove your distractions and intelligently fill in the space that’s left by the removed objects. 
  • Note: stable internet connection is required to use this feature.
  • Generative Remove also lets you choose from multiple variations, so you can pick the one you like best, giving you full creative control. 

Checkout the FAQ and Best Practices

Please give it a try and share feedback and/or report variations in this community forum. It would greatly help to include details like which app you are using (i.e., Lightroom Classic or Camera Raw) and other system details. Our team will continually monitor this thread to track issues to improve the future experience.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager
Posted by: Rikk Flohr 

Update:
Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results.
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. You can avoid these issue by following the guidance provided in this linked tutorial. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace
  • The recommended order for applying is: Denoise - Heal (includes Generative AI Remove) - Crop/Edit - AI Selective edits. If you deviate from that you may see the removed object remains as a ghost image. If this occurs you will have to use Update AI Settings, which can be found under the Develop module 'Settings' menu.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1149 Replies 1149
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2024 Jun 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that was weird. it removed a person but replaced her with a totatally random other person

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@louloubell: "it removed a person but replaced her with a totatally random other person"

See this article for how to more reliably remove objects:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace/

Most complaints about Remove are addressed in the article. But if it doesn't help, please attach the original photo here (not an export) so we and Adobe can see the issue in detail. If the forum won't let you attach it, upload it to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar and post the sharing link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far so good. It's pretty good this new feature, I just wish it was instantaneous. Do I need more computing power for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Carnegius: "Do I need more computing power for this?"

No, Generative AI Remove is computed on Adobe's servers in the cloud, so it takes about the same amount of time for everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried to remove a simple water bottle from a plain background using both the remove and heal tools.  Tried multiple different refreshes.  Nothing worked.  Finally a clone took care of it.  Five more minutes of pfaffing around.  Haven't been impressed to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@smcyyc: "Tried to remove a simple water bottle from a plain background using both the remove and heal tools. "

Most complaints about Remove are addressed in the article. But if it doesn't help, please attach the original photo here (not an export) so we and Adobe can see the issue in detail. If the forum won't let you attach it, upload it to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar and post the sharing link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Develope Visualize Spots function does not perform in the same way as in ACR (Which I prefer)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a workflow issue with this tool.
Lets say you use gen fil, and then move to a new image. You chose to use the heal tool, but decide you need to try remove it will automatically start the gen fill process.  If you click cancel its take you back to the heal too.  What about if I want to try plain old remove? I have to click on the remove tool and try to click the Gen Fill check box before the progress dialog box appears!

holding control whilst selcting remove removes your selection.  
Surely a better paradigm is to separate the selection part of the process (including the new object aware option), and then have a three-way choice - heal/remove/gen fill.  It is very clunky at the mo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2024 Jun 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a great Feature for restoring old photographs that I'm doing for a researcher, and also removeing objects in Photographs I took on a trip... truely amazing.  I even removed cars, parking lot, and Motel cabins in a Momumeny Valley Photograph to get a shot of the way it was before it was developed... did a fantastic job... took 10 seconds.  Takes a little getting use to of what to select but your guidance I discovered after the fact is right on.  Sometimes I have to do it in two stages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great that you found the information provided in the thread was useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's worth making it easy for people to flag if generative AI has been used to create parts of the photo. Either for their own editing/photo/catalog management, or if they want to be transparent about generative AI use as they use/share/publish the image. 

I don't know if that's keywording, like you can specify with Enhance; a separate type of flag; a separate filter/Smart Collection selection option; or what. Just... something. Nothing forced, just an option.

You can already create a Smart Collection/filter that looks for something with any AI-based removal. Maybe just add Generative Remove as a separate option there. While it's billed as another removal tool, it really is different in the ability to create a full-on replacement with something entirely new in a way the others don't.

(It is in the file if you save metadata to file and truly dig for it—run exiftool on the file to find "Retouch Area Fill method : firefly".)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@umlautnord 

Adobe are rolling out a technology called 'Content Credentials'. It's currently in many of the products utlising FireFly. Lightroom Desktop and Adobe Camera Raw currently include Content Credentials as a Technology Preview but not yet Lightroom Classic. I expect that it will probably be incorporated into Lightroom Classic at some point in the future. More details on Content Credentials can be found at https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/creative-cloud/help/content-credentials.html#:~:text=Adobe's%20Content%20...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 23, 2024 Jun 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, sweet. I will dig in on this on that page and in LrD. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just my opinion...I feel like the 'band wagon' is to disclose everything that is remotly modified by ai, as though the ai tool is somehow unethical, unreasonable, unprofessional, or just 'un' whatever. Photographers have been using tools for eons to edit their images; dodge, burn, crop, de-spot, colorize, increase/decrease contrast, on and on and on...all of these tools were modifying the image to create what the artist wanted. There are a few hard-core photographers that live by the rule, 'a real photographer uses what was captured in the camera...un altered, and even go so far in the film-days of saying the sprokets and text on the sprokets was technically part of the image. AI is an advanced tool that gives the artist greater ability to create the art they want...we don't tell a painter, 'if you remove an element of a scene you paint you should disclose it'...it's their vision, it's their art.

Virtually every camera uses some form of AI...we have not started calling it AI until recently...but what is an auto exposure mode, or scene mode, or black and white mode, etc?...it's a tool that uses some form of computing power in the camera to change the image in a way the artist wants to capture it...so should we disclose that?  In  fact, isn't all photo-editing software tools a form of AI?...desnoising, cloning, healing, film looks,....the moment the image hits the editing software it's being artifically enhanced by some form of artificial intelligence. So no, I'm not a huge fan of companies forcing, transparently or secretly, imbedding "AI Enhanced" tags into my files. But, I also 100% accept that other's may not agree with me. 🙂  ~paul

...and just for fun here is my human-written comment from above, but ran through chatgpt 🙂

In my opinion, the current trend to disclose any image modifications made by AI seems to imply that using AI tools is somehow unethical, unreasonable, or unprofessional. For centuries, photographers have utilized a range of editing techniques—dodging, burning, cropping, de-spotting, colorizing, adjusting contrast, and more—to achieve their artistic vision. These tools have always been employed to modify images to match the artist's intent. A small number of purist photographers argue that a "real photographer" uses only what is captured in the camera, without any alterations. Some even claimed that in the days of film, the sprockets and text on the film edges were part of the image. However, AI represents an advanced tool that enhances the artist's ability to create their desired art. We do not require painters to disclose if they remove elements from a scene in their paintings—it is their vision and their art.

Nearly every modern camera incorporates some form of AI, though we have only recently begun to label it as such. Features like auto exposure mode, scene mode, and black and white mode are tools that utilize computational power to adjust the image according to the artist's preferences. Should we be disclosing these adjustments as well? In reality, isn't all photo-editing software essentially a form of AI? Techniques such as denoising, cloning, healing, and applying film looks involve some level of artificial enhancement from the moment the image enters the editing software. Therefore, I am not in favor of companies mandating the inclusion of "AI Enhanced" tags on my files, whether transparently or secretly. Nonetheless, I fully respect that others may hold different opinions on this matter.

~ Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that it's an interesting space full of questions—and as you say, one that is not new, at all! For me, it's about the borders of what's editing vs. what's creation, I think. My general feeling on a distinction—that we now have in Lightroom—is that all the tools you describe can't do something on the level of, say, creating an entirely new person to replace someone else.

I think whether you're using AI or not, that goes beyond the heavy editing that's currently possible/done. (Though, then that raises the question of simple removal... is that different from creation, depending on how you're doing it/what's being done?)

As I originally envisioned, though, it wouldn't be forced—just a better way of tagging it/filtering/etc if you wanted to. I have to explore the Content Credentials feature that @Ian Lyons described above, but that looks optional at first glance, too. 

I think automatically applying a flag no matter what is another, much much larger discussion! For me, right now, it's a question with lots of nuance to still navigate. Questions of what "should" be disclosed/in what circumstances, or maybe even what you might want to disclose as a photographer/artist, and more. Appreciate the thoughtful points you raised, @HardShadows .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

@umlautnord: "You can already create a Smart Collection/filter that looks for something with any AI-based removal."

Yeah, Adobe's terminology here is a confusing and ambiguous. The Remove tool has three modes: Remove, Heal, and Clone,

The smart-collection criterion Has Remove matches a photo if it uses any of the three modes (Remove, Heal, Clone).  

The smart-collection criterion Has AI Remove matches a photo if it uses the Remove mode of the Remove tool. If the Generative AI option is checked, the Remove mode uses the new Firefly technology on Adobe's servers; if it is unchecked, the Remove mode uses the old Content-Aware algorithm. Adobe considers both options as "AI".

The Any Filter plugin can search for photos using Remove mode with Generative AI:

johnrellis_0-1719087930029.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was pretty sure that was how the Smart Collection filter was working. It is good to confirm!

I hadn't dug into AnyFilter as a tool to do this before Adobe adds anything... Thanks for confirming that it can do it, and identifying what the specific parameters are!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it has been mentioned before, pardon me, I was not going to read 1K+ responses.

The feature (AI generated remove) is amazing. What took me 10 minutes to take out (export to Photoshop and clone/heal for a more accurate removal) takes 10 seconds.

I've noticed that the red dot appears under remove button when I reopen the image file that have AI generated remove in a new session. I am perfectly happy with the results at the time I've quit the application. Could you rewrite the code so that Lightroom won't prompt me to update the remove setting that I am already happy with? I understand when AI generated masks and such needs an update after certain operations but is there a way for the user to"ignore" these prompts and turn off the red dot?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@hidenise: "I've noticed that the red dot appears under remove button when I reopen the image file that have AI generated remove in a new session. I am perfectly happy with the results at the time I've quit the application."

LR normally remembers all the removes you've done and doesn't require you to update them when you restart LR. See here for one possible way to fix your LR:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/lightroom-classic-generative-ai-remove-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great impressive start !

I like not having to go to Photoshop to do it.

I found one problem when trying to remove human being, it generates an other human being instead of removing it.

However, very nice tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a great tool for speeding up the process of removing more complex distractions from photos. What used to be a round-trip to Photoshop and back that could, before the days of generative AI, take half an hour, is now a matter of seconds. Thanks!

I'm sure this has been mentioned in this long thread, so here's another voice of concern with regards to the detail quality of the generated patches: they are generally rather low in resolution, and the bigger the generated patch, the easier it is to spot it. I'm working with 36-45 mp raw files on a 5k monitor and am hoping that this will improve in the future.

Again, thanks for a very useful tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@alexskunz: "I'm sure this has been mentioned in this long thread, so here's another voice of concern with regards to the detail quality of the generated patches: they are generally rather low in resolution, and the bigger the generated patch, the easier it is to spot it. I'm working with 36-45 mp raw files on a 5k monitor and am hoping that this will improve in the future."

There are indeed other posts here about textures and details not matching, sometimes on small patches and sometimes larger. I've observed it in some uses but not others. I think it would help Adobe to understand the scope of the issue by attaching here a full-resolution JPEG of the original photo plus a screenshot (not a phone pic) showing the selection you used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm finding it really struggles to remove things from the edge of the frame smoothly. It tends to leave a messy blur behind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@joshuap5291131: "I'm finding it really struggles to remove things from the edge of the frame smoothly. It tends to leave a messy blur behind."

The current Remove design (for better or worse) looks at all the pixels of the original photo, including those that have been cropped out by Crop, Lens Corrections, and Transform. If you don't select all the pixels of an object (e.g. because they're cropped out), Remove will try to match the remaining pixels. So temporarily disable those tools, apply Remove, and then re-enable them. 

See this article for details and other tips for how to get Remove to reliably remove objects:

If this doesn't help, please attach the original photo here (not an export) so we and Adobe can see the issue in detail. If the forum won't let you attach it, upload it to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar and post the sharing link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines