• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Generative Remove (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products.
Post Camera Raw feedback here

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look at Generative Remove, which makes it easier to remove unwanted objects and distractions, even on complex backgrounds, with a simple brush stroke. Generative Remove is powered by Firefly AI.

How to use Generative Remove on a desktop:

• You can find Generative Remove under the newly renamed Remove panel (aka “Heal”).
  • Make sure the “generative AI” checkbox is enabled before you start brushing (note: when unchecked, Lightroom will use Content-Aware Remove to fill your brushed spots). 
  • By default, you will be given a moment to refine your selection with an add or subtract brush. Remember to include shadows for a more accurate result! You can also skip this step by holding down ‘CTRL’ on windows or ‘CMD’ on mac as you finish your brush stroke. 
  • Once you’re ready to apply and have accepted the terms, Generative Remove will use Firefly AI to remove your distractions and intelligently fill in the space that’s left by the removed objects. 
  • Note: stable internet connection is required to use this feature.
  • Generative Remove also lets you choose from multiple variations, so you can pick the one you like best, giving you full creative control. 

Checkout the FAQ and Best Practices

Please give it a try and share feedback and/or report variations in this community forum. It would greatly help to include details like which app you are using (i.e., Lightroom Classic or Camera Raw) and other system details. Our team will continually monitor this thread to track issues to improve the future experience.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager
Posted by: Rikk Flohr 

Update:
Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results.
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. You can avoid these issue by following the guidance provided in this linked tutorial. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace
  • The recommended order for applying is: Denoise - Heal (includes Generative AI Remove) - Crop/Edit - AI Selective edits. If you deviate from that you may see the removed object remains as a ghost image. If this occurs you will have to use Update AI Settings, which can be found under the Develop module 'Settings' menu.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1149 Replies 1149
New Here ,
May 27, 2024 May 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merci pour la description de la procédure à suivre, le résultat est là et plutôt convaincant ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2024 Jun 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great feature. I would love feathering, as well as the object rectangle selection for this tool. After a few times the Refresh option is missing.
I don't see any information in the documention/responses about what de-selecting the checkboxes "Generative AI" and "Object Aware" do. Is it correct that you must also uncheck the latter to remove that person/object/etc.? Maybe some people do not see that. Being aware of selecting everything etc., I had an issue with removing an intruding elbow from the border on a non-cropped image._MG_0041.jpg

Selecting a person's glasses with "Object Aware" off, I get the person without her glasses which is the purpose. However, the person eyes looks at the camera now, from an extreme angle and the eyes are weird (too big, ugly, angrilly) every time. There should be at least some variations with the eyes looking as the original.

ThierryH_0-1718740439148.pngThierryH_1-1718740517483.pngThierryH_2-1718740611159.png

ThierryH_3-1718740685664.pngThierryH_4-1718740813097.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ThierryH: "I don't see any information in the documention/responses about what de-selecting the checkboxes "Generative AI" and "Object Aware" do. Is it correct that you must also uncheck the latter to remove that person/object/etc.?"

No, the two options are independent. The Generative AI option says to use the new Adobe Firefly service to generate a replacement for the selection.   The Object Aware option controls how to make the initial selection -- when unchecked, it's exactly what you've brushed, but when checked, it uses the same algorithm as Object Mask to identify an "object" that becomes the selection to be replaced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

@ThierryH: "I had an issue with removing an intruding elbow from the border on a non-cropped image."

Generative Remove did a very good job of quickly removing the elbow from the JPEG you uploaded:

Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 3.02.19 PM.jpg Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 3.02.27 PM.jpg

That indicates you were working with a raw to which Lens Corrections or Transform had been applied, or in less frequent cases, the Camera Raw engine had automatically cropped a border of 8 - 12 pixels around the edge. In all cases, Remove is (confusingly) looking at those hidden pixels. Temporarily disable Lens Corrections and Transform and then do the remove.  See here for more details:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace/

If that doesn't help, upload the original raw to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar and post the sharing link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

@ThierryH: "Selecting a person's glasses with "Object Aware" off, I get the person without her glasses which is the purpose. However, the person eyes looks at the camera now, from an extreme angle and the eyes are weird (too big, ugly, angrilly) every time."

With your low-resolution JPEG, I got better results using Object Aware.  I looked at over 50 variations, and here are some of the better ones (hard to know if they'd be acceptable on the full-resolution raw):

Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 3.19.50 PM.jpg Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 3.19.18 PM.jpg Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 3.16.34 PM.jpg Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 3.17.24 PM.jpg Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 3.18.44 PM.jpg Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 3.16.03 PM.jpg Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 3.19.06 PM.jpg Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 3.17.13 PM.jpg Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 3.15.40 PM.jpg

The Refresh button never disappeared for me, but maybe there's a difference when using raws.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 26, 2024 Jun 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Filling empty space is something on our backlog. Thanks for the feedback.

Barry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2024 May 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hate it! A simple spot removal that used to take a second now takes several minutes to process. Totally unacceptable.

Please put it back the way it was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@silversnaps  I would not be using Generative Remove for a simple spot.

None of the existing tools were removed. I recommend using the previous Heal/Clone/Remove tools for simple spots and leaving Generative AI off.   They are very different tools for very different purposes. 

Here is a nice guide: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/using/generative-remove-faq.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree. 2 + minutes to remove a minor small glare on a window with a blue background is unaccepatable. In Photoshop it takes less than a few seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@MackeyRJ, I don't see significant time differences between PS and Lr on Generative Remove on the same image. Can you post a video showing equivalent edits on similar images, demonstrating the difference in time? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Progress bar takes about as long as in photoshop, but then after reaching 100% it takes a few minutes to display the result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be helpful to mention which Lightroom Application you use when seeing this delay. Lightroom Classic? Lightroom Desktop, Mobile, Web?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2024 May 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YesterdayI saw this behavior in Lightroom classic. Progress bar as quick as in photoshop, but it takes a few minutes to display the result.
Surprisingly today  the complete processs was as fast as  in Photoshop.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2024 Jun 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running LR Classic (13.3.1)on a Mac Mini M2 Pro running Ventura 13.6.7

In general, remove object works very well. However, fairly often a random image is inserted in the image. The original object to be removed is correctly done and the background is created correctly but then an image is inserted in that masked space. Often it is a bird or birds. In the image I'm working on, I wanted to remove an object on the far left left of the image. That was some light equipment against the backdrop of a stage. What I should have had was pretty much a dark fill. Instead I got a half of a drinks cup inserted. Half as in vertical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't like it either: with each update lately LrC becomes slower, editing not just with the new additions but  also with the standard features

When using the new Generative AI I also noticed that the exported jpg becomes at least twice as big

In general: workflow slows down quite a bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me. Progress bar takes some seconds to reach 100%, but then it takes a .... few .... few .... few ... minutes to display the result - unaccepatable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2024 May 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I AGREE 10000% 

Please bring it back to how it was... PS is now easier but such a hassle to open the image into PS to finish off removing blemishes, objects, etc. Ridiculous!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to struggle slightly with items in focus against a blurred background - I've just tried it on images of flowers with stalks nearby that I want to remove. After a great many attempts on one image, it eventually removed the stalk and put a fly in its place - and I defintely selected subtract. Whats more, I swear the fly is looking at the camera - a bit of a photobomb. This AI has a sense of humour?! This is literally my first play with it and it looks cool - going to look for images to mess with. It would be nice if one could choose whether the Add or Subtract option is the default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Generative removal does not yet work well on lights reflected on glass, as they are transparent. Is it possible to improve the cancellation of reflected lights?
Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does (or will) use of the new generative remove count toward the Adobe credits that were introduced earlier?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SuperFabe 

Generative Credits are required for Generative Remove, but at this time, Adobe is not enforcing credits for paying customers. More info can be found here: https://helpx.adobe.com/firefly/using/generative-credits-faq.html 

I would expect this to apply while the feature is in "Early Access"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. I thought that might be the case. As a paying customer of the full suite, how can I send my feedback on this credit system to Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is the best place to submit feedback. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. My feedback to the Adobe credit system.

I can understand the costs to maintain the backend cloud servers, developers and operational support costs that go into it (former IT Management).  Being that the AI/Firefly code will eventually be the framework of all the Adobe apps, I would expect that an All apps subscription increase of maybe some reasonable $5 or $10 annually, single app plans like the Photography or Illustrator plan maybe $1 or $2. would be easier to justify then having to keep track of some mysterious credit based system.  For software that doesn't require a subscription (i.e. Adobe Express), it would benefit from this credit system as it would encourage the user to be a paid member.  Certainly there will be pushback from the Freeware community as they are being singled out with some credit based limitation, but their voices shouldn't count as much as the actual paid subscribers. This method reduces the complexity of the credit system while encouraging it's continued adoption to the paid subscribers.

Adobe already the metrics to determine the operational cost justifications, but please don't try to make Firefly a profit center.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2024 May 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so you forced me to update LRC for the generative removal capacity and it still doesn't work. And, I can not go back to the old version. How am I supposed to function with a non-working "improvement"? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines