• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Generative Remove (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products.
Post Camera Raw feedback here

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look at Generative Remove, which makes it easier to remove unwanted objects and distractions, even on complex backgrounds, with a simple brush stroke. Generative Remove is powered by Firefly AI.

How to use Generative Remove on a desktop:

• You can find Generative Remove under the newly renamed Remove panel (aka “Heal”).
  • Make sure the “generative AI” checkbox is enabled before you start brushing (note: when unchecked, Lightroom will use Content-Aware Remove to fill your brushed spots). 
  • By default, you will be given a moment to refine your selection with an add or subtract brush. Remember to include shadows for a more accurate result! You can also skip this step by holding down ‘CTRL’ on windows or ‘CMD’ on mac as you finish your brush stroke. 
  • Once you’re ready to apply and have accepted the terms, Generative Remove will use Firefly AI to remove your distractions and intelligently fill in the space that’s left by the removed objects. 
  • Note: stable internet connection is required to use this feature.
  • Generative Remove also lets you choose from multiple variations, so you can pick the one you like best, giving you full creative control. 

Checkout the FAQ and Best Practices

Please give it a try and share feedback and/or report variations in this community forum. It would greatly help to include details like which app you are using (i.e., Lightroom Classic or Camera Raw) and other system details. Our team will continually monitor this thread to track issues to improve the future experience.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager
Posted by: Rikk Flohr 

Update:
Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results.
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. You can avoid these issue by following the guidance provided in this linked tutorial. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace
  • The recommended order for applying is: Denoise - Heal (includes Generative AI Remove) - Crop/Edit - AI Selective edits. If you deviate from that you may see the removed object remains as a ghost image. If this occurs you will have to use Update AI Settings, which can be found under the Develop module 'Settings' menu.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1112 Replies 1112
New Here ,
May 26, 2024 May 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far I really like the addition of the AI tool.  What I've found annoying is using it to remove smaller areas the AI suggestion is obscured by the eraser icon so you can even see what the AI is suggesting.  If while the area is active if the eraser icon could be disabled or appear outside the selected area that would help with picking which one of the initial three suggestions works best of if a regeneration needs to be requested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PROBLEM:

When using the LrC/13.3 Generative Remove tool,  it removes the thing painted over and replaces it with something else.  The problem is that in most representational photography, when you want something removed,  like a tourist or trash can, you want it replaced with background similar to its surrounding rather than having it replaced with a different tourist or trash can.    Heal, Clone and Content Aware remove can many times do this but without the AI component many times one just can't find a source area that works.

PROPOSAL

In the Remove mode of the Remove tool,  add two sub  obtions:

1. Generative Replace AI -  If selected this option would replace the painted object with some other AI generated object.  For example a different cat or different tourist
  2. Generative Fill AI - If selected this option would remove the painted over object and fill in that area with AI generated background similar to the area surrounding the removed thing.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<nevermind - wrong forum>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you handling the transfer to the highres source image if I use GenAI on a smartpreview on a mobile device?

• Will LRC re-render it with the same seed in a higher resolution?
  • Do I have to manually tell it to re-render it?
  • Will a  Gen-AI fill on a Smartpreview result in a lower res fill compared to if I do it on the full file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, started using  generative remove a few days ago and the results were terrible! The problem seems to be the images had AI Denoise applied to them, hence they were in the .dng format. Tried on normal raw files, with no adjustments, and it worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The order edits should be applied is: Denoise - Heal (Including Gen Remove) - Crop/Edit - AI Selective edits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The order edits should be applied is: Denoise - Heal (Including Gen Remove) - Crop/Edit - AI Selective edits

By @Ian Lyons

If you want to avoid trouble...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! I'm really impressed.

I wanted to remove this part of a 'post'? From a picture from the Aya Sofia.

MarcoKers_0-1716751942428.png

It really did an incredible thing, It even knew there was chandelier hanging behind it.

MarcoKers_1-1716752028090.png

I don't mind, that a person was generated in it's place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR AI is great but very picky and keeps blocking my action when trying to clone out objects in the background on a portrait 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried lightroom generative AI removal on two people in the background of a shot and it didn't remove them. It just changed their appearances. This is the original image. All 3 variations provided were alternate appearances for the people.  Photoshop AI removal works just fine on it.

040A9464.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any wayto get back to content-aware fill until we get past this beta stage for the generative replace feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any wayto get back to content-aware fill until we get past this beta stage for the generative replace feature?

By @rdverb

Yes, just uncheck the "Generative AI" checkbox in the tool and it will be the same Content Aware fill as before. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nope - LrC crashes ever since updating when trying to use either with or
without checkbox.

--
Rick
sent from Google mail

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to remove bright blue feather from the edge of the picutre but only a small portion was removed and approximately  3/4" remained.  The background was a distictive dark green grass.  I tried widening the area around the feathers but it didn't remove any more.  I started over a couple of times without success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not as good as photoshops version. it does not blend well with the background and makes it very obvius you are editing something out. photoshop's is 100% better

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Lightroom Classic on Mac, and while this is a nifty party trick I can't see myself using it in any serious capacity and certainly not on images for clients. It's very clear that something has been removed, and what is generated to fill the area is oddly-shaped, discolored, and not consistent with the rest of the images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2024 May 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first trial at Generative AI Remove was a little disconcerting as the item I was attempting to remove was filled by a similar, but different object eg, I wanted to remove a vehicle from a road scene but it was replaced by a different vehicle going in the opposite direction...uuuh?  I thought I was following the instructions provided by Adobe, but since that anomoly the feature works like majic. I will try and refine the process as I go. I agree with one of the contributors to this thread that some feathering adjustment may be useful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

super outil mais parfois il bugg et ne fait que remplacer un objet par un autre alors qu'on souhaiterai simplement qu'il le fasse disparaître ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using this in Lightroom Classic. Initially unimpressed and here's why.

I tried it on an image that I had cropped leaving half a photographer and his bag on the side of the pitch in the background. Nothing I could do in Lightroom would remove this cleanly. Frustrating when a couple of swipes of the Remove Tool in Photoshop did the job,.

Then I found that the Lightroom remove worked quite well on the uncropped image. It also worked perfectly in Lightroom on a tif file created from the cropped version of the raw.

Conclusion, remove tool is not considering the crop when it does its analysis. Maybe its always been like this and I have only just realised it. Its not obvious why it should be like this though - to me its logical to crop first then tidy up remaining unwanted elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Robert3765919927o3  For optimal results, the order needs to be: 

1. Denoise 
  2. Heal (Including Gen Remove)
  3. Crop/Edit
  4. AI Selective edits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a lot of times i just want to remove an object but gen ai almost all the time provide an other object instead of removing it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The remove feature doesnt work well at all time. sometime it remove. sometime it remove half the image etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely the geenrative AI tool! It is very accurate and a game changer for those of us who primarily use Lightroom over Photoshop! Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well... if I use a "remove"-tool I would expect, that the dancer I masked would disappear and be replaced with the surroundings - and not replaced with another dancer - I mean... why? It's a remove-tool after all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 28, 2024 May 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should have removed the person standing behind herShould have removed the person standing behind herit simply swapped the person behind her...it simply swapped the person behind her...Bildschirmfoto 2024-05-28 um 11.08.23.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines