• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Generative Remove (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products.
Post Camera Raw feedback here

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look at Generative Remove, which makes it easier to remove unwanted objects and distractions, even on complex backgrounds, with a simple brush stroke. Generative Remove is powered by Firefly AI.

How to use Generative Remove on a desktop:

• You can find Generative Remove under the newly renamed Remove panel (aka “Heal”).
  • Make sure the “generative AI” checkbox is enabled before you start brushing (note: when unchecked, Lightroom will use Content-Aware Remove to fill your brushed spots). 
  • By default, you will be given a moment to refine your selection with an add or subtract brush. Remember to include shadows for a more accurate result! You can also skip this step by holding down ‘CTRL’ on windows or ‘CMD’ on mac as you finish your brush stroke. 
  • Once you’re ready to apply and have accepted the terms, Generative Remove will use Firefly AI to remove your distractions and intelligently fill in the space that’s left by the removed objects. 
  • Note: stable internet connection is required to use this feature.
  • Generative Remove also lets you choose from multiple variations, so you can pick the one you like best, giving you full creative control. 

Checkout the FAQ and Best Practices

Please give it a try and share feedback and/or report variations in this community forum. It would greatly help to include details like which app you are using (i.e., Lightroom Classic or Camera Raw) and other system details. Our team will continually monitor this thread to track issues to improve the future experience.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager
Posted by: Rikk Flohr 

Update:
Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results.
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. You can avoid these issue by following the guidance provided in this linked tutorial. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace
  • The recommended order for applying is: Denoise - Heal (includes Generative AI Remove) - Crop/Edit - AI Selective edits. If you deviate from that you may see the removed object remains as a ghost image. If this occurs you will have to use Update AI Settings, which can be found under the Develop module 'Settings' menu.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1141 Replies 1141
New Here ,
May 27, 2024 May 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has been working flawlessly for removing objects where the background is uncluttered, still struggles with complicated backgrounds, but has produced a few good results. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am almost constantly unable to use this new feature.  I repeatedly get this message.

David23583201o0o2_0-1716822489758.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remove using AI is working perfect in LR... useful too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

je tente de restaurer une ancienne photo grâce à IA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why? My edits were within your guidelines. Your AI that filters for your guidelines is too restrictive. Please fix.

I keep getting the error message:

Generative Remove Failed.

We encountered an issue with your results.

Please view our guidelines and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have upgraded to Lightroom Classic release 13.3 and have started trying out Generativer Remove AI. So far it is working fine.

To keep track of my use of AI Remove, I created a smart collection with one rule: "Has AI Remove is true". It shows the images I have used Generative AI on, but it is also showing some other images that were created and developed before AI Remove was released. It appears that these images do have instances of the standard Remove, but they do not have instances of AI Remove. Just wondering what's going on.

I'm running on Windows:

Edition Windows 10 Pro

Version 22H2
Installed on ‎7/‎31/‎2020
OS build 19045.4412
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19056.1000.0

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there could be a way to feather the tool. Also The generative AI also needs a  "Auto masking " feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not getting good results using generative remove in LR Classic.  Always "Ghosting" after applying.  Can still see the unwanted distractions. You Tubers show it working perfectly. Not so on my mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2024 Jun 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem on my PC desk top. I tried this process on my laptop and the AI removal worked great. Both machine are running Windows 10 with the newest updates....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two nearly identical photos taken one right after the other.  They both have the same antenna in the background.  The object selection tool removes one of them just fine;  it "cannot find" the other. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad this is being added to LR, but hjonestly it is more miss than hit. I try to remove a broom and it REPLACES it with a mop or a cleaner version of the broom, or any of various other items.  Impossible to remove the broom without going to Photoshop.  A bit of a let down, at the moment.
Maybe the next version can have a box asking if I want the object removed or just cleaned up.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was trying to remove a leaf. Instead of removing it, it just kept giving me different leaves. It did not act like an eraser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

silly question>>>>  do i need to install firefly to make generative AI show up???

i have installed the latest L/R version 13.3 but NO AI

tnx

ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Está bien pero algunas cosas no las quita, ejemplo un marco en una pared, en vez de eliminarlo solo te lo cambia por otro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love it, it was easy to use and worked great!  I never had to leave Lightroom!!!!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2024 May 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the frame is touching the edge of your image, then there's a likelihood that Generative Remove will fail. If not at edge of image,  then you need to select/mask the whole frame plus any shadows, refections or projections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's neat, but I've tried to use it to remove a person in the the background and it will only replace the peron it removes with another. That's useless for me. It's actually a little creepy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you upload a screenshot that includes what you're selecting/masking along with a screenshot of the result. See attached for how to upload your screenshot.

screenshot upload.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to remove the one standing thereI wanted to remove the one standing thereWhat I got with the "remove"-toolWhat I got with the "remove"-toolWhat I got with the "remove"-toolWhat I got with the "remove"-tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry... just realized this wasn't my post I made yesterday with the same phenomenon. No clue, why I get all these emails and not just mails regarding my post. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love it so far!

specially, removing all unwanted objects at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It used to work great now it is NOT removing the subject that is highlighted. It just changes it. For example, I'm trying to remove a couch from my shot. It doesn't remove it, it just gives 3 different versions of the couch. What!? Generative Remove is NOT removing lol. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, works really great in ca 60% of all cases to remove a small object (like a lamp, or a person that is partly covered) . What I don't really understand: 

- I can remove in a street-scene individual persons (awesome) and the pavement is nicely recreated 

- but after the fifth,six person the proposals do not contain anymore pavements or background patterns. Instead I get other persons generated - even repeating does not help. 

So here request for a feature: among the first three alternatives ALWAYS present an "empty" - background fill (pavement, bricks, grass ..)

Keep up the good work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am impressed - specially at the corners this works really nicely.

Here used to remove a person with a pattern that draws attention. And the two giry and the pavment are nicely filled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines