• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Remove brush strokes appear in the wrong place on rotated images

LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2024 Jul 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brush strokes made with the Remove tool appear in the wrong place on a portrait image, rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise. This occurs in LR 13.4 / Windows 11, but it doesn't occur on Mac OS 14.5.

To reproduce:

1. Download and import this photo:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ko89pejpmicyqie/rotated-remove-brush-bug.2024.07.01.CR3?dl=0

Observe that it hasn't been rotated to portrait mode :

johnrellis_0-1719886409387.png

2. With Exiftool, observe that the camera has recorded landscape orientation:

[EXIF] Orientation : Horizontal (normal)

3. Do Photo > Rotate Left.

4. In Develop, open the Remove tool and select Remove mode.

5. Brush anywhere on the photo and observe that the brush strokes appear on the wrong place on the iamge, rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise.  See the attached screen recording.

6. Select the other modes (Heal, Clone) and observe similar misbehavior.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
26 Comments
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2024 Jun 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello:
I scanned a roll of film today, and am working on the scans. The spot removal tool seems not to be working. If I chooes "Remove" (no generative or object-aware) and click on a spot, nothing happens. Opacity is at 100%. If I also select "Object Aware" and click over a spot, a mysterious red blob will appear at a ramdom point in the image. I have never seen this happen before. It always worked exactly like the tool in Photoshop. I have read on the Web that this is not a bug, but a feature. This happens with images that have NOT been edited since scanning. No AI has been used.

What the flap is going on, and how do I stop it?

Les

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2024 Jun 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed something. I accidentally loaded the scanner incorrectly, and so I flipped all the images horizontally. If I "unflip" them, the spot healing works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 12, 2024 Jun 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the past, LR has had many bugs with local adjustments and photos that have been flipped or rotated. It would be good to file a bug report on this if there's a bug. But I can't reproduce your symptoms -- if I flip a photo horizontally, all three Remove tools still work correctly.  Perhaps you could upload one of the scans to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar and post the sharing link here?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2024 Jun 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Photoshop Lightroom Classic 13.3.1. When I use the brush under Develop > Remove section, it doesn't paint in the area where I paint. Instead, it paints in an area that 90 degrees in the counter lock wise direction.

I have given below a screenshot where I am trying to select the man in background (I have indicated roughly where I am trying to paint in red color). But the brush paints in the top left corner of the photo.

2024-06-22 21_22_50-.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 22, 2024 Jun 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's been another report about this but we've been unable to reproduce the problem in other LR configurations. Unfortunately, if Adobe isn't able to reproduce the problem, they're not likely going to pay any attention to these reports. 

Please upload an original photo (not an export or screenshot) that's having this problem to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar and post the sharing link. If that allows us to reproduce the problem, then we can submit an actionable bug report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2024 Jun 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello John,

Thanks for the reply!

I have uploaded the original photo here.

https://we.tl/t-S34vyANZBw

However, this happens on all photos across several folders. But there are certain folders in which they don't happen. As far as I have noticed, this happens on folders that are present in the external hard disk (SSD) but doesn't happen on laptop's internal drives (also SSD).

Also, this issue is specific to the brush under Develop > Remove section. For example, the brush tool used for masking works well in all cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update to my previous reply. The issue with the brush also happens with the photos present in my laptop.

Within same folder/import - it works well on some photos but not on some other photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have made a detailed video that explains this issue.

I have uploaded it to the following link

https://we.tl/t-86hN45TJq2

The link will be active for 7 days.

Hope this helps! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to check whether anyone from Adobe is looking at this thread, or is it merely a public forum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Madhu Sundar: "I would like to check whether anyone from Adobe is looking at this thread, or is it merely a public forum?"

This forum serves both purposes, as a public form for users to help others and discuss, and as the official place to submit bug reports and feature requests. As a general rule, though, Adobe won't pay attention to bug reports unless presented with a precise step-by-step recipe for reproducing it, with sample files if necessary (or unless many, many people report the problem).

Unfortunately, the flaky forum platform (which Adobe rents) didn't notify me of your replies with a sample file and screen recording, and now they're expired.  Perhaps you could resend them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello John,

Thanks for the explanation! 

I have uploaded the photo and the video I made about the issue to this Google Drive location so that it can stay longer
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rFx47_CG-gEbLyhNHWQzMo2L2ui26-ZL

I will be glad to share more details and answer any questions if you have.

If I remember right, under 'Manage Account', there is a setting to receive emails when there is a reply/activity in the thread.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent, thanks. I was able to reproduce the problem with that sample photo and file a bug report:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/remove-brush-strokes-appear-in-the-wrong-place...

It appears the bug only strikes photos that you've rotated to portrait orientation, and it only happens on Windows, not Mac.

A tedious workaround is to rotate the photo back to its original horizontal orientation, apply the Remove tool, then rotate back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug occurs only on Windows, not Mac. The Remove tool's brush doesn't work on photos that have been rotated or flipped:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/remove-brush-strokes-appear-in-the-wrong-place...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Downloaded the sample image
  2. Imported the sample image (ADD, minimal previews, no develop presets)
  3. Two different Windows computers, both WIndows 11, different discrete NVIDIA GPU's
  4. Two different catalogs (internal hard drives)
  5. On my Workstation Windows 11 computer, LrC v13.4, (SYS INFO attached)
  6. On my Laptop Windows 11 computer, LrC v13.3 (I had not been on this one for a bit, so not yet updated)
  7. On neither computer, in neither catalog, in neither LrC version, cannot repeat this problem, they behave.

a slightly awkward video:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/4kh6o1v8dx1hetn9k5ao3/2024-07-01-20-24-38.mp4?rlkey=teupp8878zsocljji...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. Three (counting me) have observed the bad symptoms, one hasn't. I wonder what the difference is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2024 Jul 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2024 Jul 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that the issue happens when I rotate the photos within the Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2024 Jul 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, just found this thread after experiencing issues with Lightroom Classic v13.4 on Mac, so I don't think it's Windows specific!

If I rotate an image inside Lightroom by 90 degrees, the Remove tool places the spot / brush in the wrong place, by 90 degrees. 

If I rotate an image outside of Lightroom, then import it, the remove tool places the spot / brush in the wrong place even when not rotated within Lightroom.

Hope this helps someone track down the bug...

--

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that I'm experiencing the same issue, since I updated to 13.4 yesterday....

Flip/rotate an image from its as-shot orientation, use the heal tool,. the healing takes place in another part of the image...

Windows 11 latest build.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly what happens, it is reproducable across 17 catalogues that I updated to 13.4 yesterday.

Every single catalogue:

Here are 2 separate catalogues affected:

https://1drv.ms/f/c/4c0bd790e8901ab5/Eiymgt8-_cRLqLlL9ylpCJIBXdc_xmjBxuGA2KjuSRSj8g?e=hDm8De

As you can see, only when the image is as-shot orientation does the healing brush correspond to the healing location.

Roatate or flip.... the healing does not rotate or flip too, so you heal the wrong part...

IF I can reproduce this in 17 updated catalgues - this is a flipping bug - not something specific to one catalogue or my PC.

Enjoy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Madhu SundarIf you experience this in 13.3.1  ?

> and I jumped from 13.2 to 13.4  before I experienced it
(and I've put in about 500 work hours in LR this past 3 months on multiple projets with no issues )

> then potentially this issue has been around for quite some time.

For others:

I screen recorded this issue with 2 separate catalogues, both updated yesterday to 13.4.
Video shows my painting 1,2,3,4 in a corner, rotating 90 degrees, and repeat.

You can clearly see (follow the moust pointer) that only when the image is in original orientation does the healing work in the intended place.

Videos shared here on Drive:
https://1drv.ms/f/c/4c0bd790e8901ab5/Eiymgt8-_cRLqLlL9ylpCJIBXdc_xmjBxuGA2KjuSRSj8g?e=aFYmle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a way to fix on my PC:

This is related to intel integrated GPU's - if you use Nvidia or AMD > It may never be an issue for you?

On this particular PC I don't use a discreet GPU because of heat and noise, and LR runs perfectly fine doing all tasks on the 10core i5-12600k CPU.

YESTERDAY > With LR v13.2
Lighroom was working fine.

All GPU support disalbed (BECAUSE this CPU performs better than the iGPU by a long mile for certain tasks - that is a tradeoff I've lived with for a while with no issues).

TODAY > With LR 13.4
I get this orientation issue with healing tools.

Fix: ??
Enable GPU support

Now I get the correct behaivour.

IF you are using a discreet GPU and still getting the issue, try disable/re-enable?
You don't need to restart LR to do this, as per my video below.

Video is shard on drive here:
"FIX FOR LR BUG - HEAL TOOL - GPU SUPPORT.mp4"

https://1drv.ms/f/c/4c0bd790e8901ab5/Eiymgt8-_cRLqLlL9ylpCJIBXdc_xmjBxuGA2KjuSRSj8g?e=hDm8De

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I first noticed this issue in Lightroom Classic v13.3.1. I have the issue in v13.4 as well.

I am using Windows 10 version 22H2.

Votes

Translate

Translate