• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Generative Remove (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products.
Post Camera Raw feedback here

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look at Generative Remove, which makes it easier to remove unwanted objects and distractions, even on complex backgrounds, with a simple brush stroke. Generative Remove is powered by Firefly AI.

How to use Generative Remove on a desktop:

• You can find Generative Remove under the newly renamed Remove panel (aka “Heal”).
  • Make sure the “generative AI” checkbox is enabled before you start brushing (note: when unchecked, Lightroom will use Content-Aware Remove to fill your brushed spots). 
  • By default, you will be given a moment to refine your selection with an add or subtract brush. Remember to include shadows for a more accurate result! You can also skip this step by holding down ‘CTRL’ on windows or ‘CMD’ on mac as you finish your brush stroke. 
  • Once you’re ready to apply and have accepted the terms, Generative Remove will use Firefly AI to remove your distractions and intelligently fill in the space that’s left by the removed objects. 
  • Note: stable internet connection is required to use this feature.
  • Generative Remove also lets you choose from multiple variations, so you can pick the one you like best, giving you full creative control. 

Checkout the FAQ and Best Practices

Please give it a try and share feedback and/or report variations in this community forum. It would greatly help to include details like which app you are using (i.e., Lightroom Classic or Camera Raw) and other system details. Our team will continually monitor this thread to track issues to improve the future experience.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager
Posted by: Rikk Flohr 

Update:
Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results.
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. You can avoid these issue by following the guidance provided in this linked tutorial. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace

The recommended order for applying edits is:

1. Denoise 
  2. Heal (includes Generative AI Remove)
  3. Crop (includes traditional Cropping, Lens Correction, Transform, or any operation changing the geometry of the image)
  4. Edit
  5. AI Selective edits

If you deviate from that, you may see the removed object remain as a ghost image. If this occurs, you will have to use Update AI Settings, which can be found under the Develop module 'Settings' menu.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1349 Replies 1349
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2024 Jun 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adorei a ferramenta, mas estou com dificuldade de usar para remover pessoas. Quando uso para remover mais de uma pessoa ela funciona perfeitamente, mas quando uso para remover apenas uma pessoa, ela apenas gera outra pessoa no lugar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Katia3784329950h0, see this article for tips on how to remove rather than replace objects:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace/ 

If that doesn't help, upload the problem photo (the original) to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar and paste the sharing link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it would be super useful if we were able to use some kind of object-aware masking on the refine mask tool. I find that it can be tricky to clean up background behind hair.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried it for the first time and it's terrible and ever since the last update even the clone tool is BAD! leaving dark shadow of what was supposed to be removed. I will be going back to my other programs that I acutally buy the disk with no yearly or monthly fees!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've encountered some problems using the tool.

I used Generative Remove to "repair" some damaged feathers on a birds plumage.

However, afterwords when I applied the AI denoise, the denoise result appeared to use the unrepaired image, rather than the repaired image.   There is also an issue with masks, if there are masks appied over the part of the image to be repaired, you get very strange results, often with dark ghost images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@markg88076540 

The preferred order for editing is: Denoise - Heal (includes Gen Remove) - Crop/Edit - AI Selective edits
If you deviate from that you may have to update some things especially any AI Selective Edits (i.e. use Develop module > Settings > Update AI Settings)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2024 Jun 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wefwfwef.jpgVersion 13.3.1

AI is still not working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@brluigi: Translation of message, "Generative Erase has failed. We have detected an issue and are unable to complete your request at this time. Try it again later."

Sometimes network firewalls on your computer, local network, or ISP mistakenly block LR's network requests. Try the steps described here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-new-ai-powered-generative-remove-earl...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2024 Jun 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANKS SO MUCH, IS NOW FIXED. !!!!!!

i use ESET, so i created a rule for allow conections in and out in firewall. so is done.

now i can use AI 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 06, 2024 Jun 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. Thanks for the update, that will help others deal with this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been working for me ok. But when I try to remove a power line, it leaves behind a siltousette. See attached images.

Any ideas, or is this a bug?

Screenshot 2024-06-05 142818.pngScreenshot 2024-06-05 142900.pngScreenshot 2024-06-05 142931.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've got a Sky mask that needs updating as the image content has now changed. You should have a little red dot under the Masking tool in the toolstrip to warn you. Settings menu > Update AI Settings is one of the easiest ways to update it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Victoria, "Update AI Settings" sorted the issue.

I haven't this meantioned in any of the tutorial videos out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. It's probably not mentioned because it's not "new" to this release. It happens with any of the Remove/Healing tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2024-06-05 at 11.25.53 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-06-05 at 11.26.02 AM.png

I am trying generative AI remove in Lightroom Classic. I want to remove a lamp and each time it just gives me a different lamp. It's worked pretty good so far until this! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@britsphotoco, see this article about how to remove rather than replace objects:

If that doesn't help, then upload the original photo, not a screenshot, to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar and post the sharing link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used this new feature several times and find it promising.  I see it as a quicker way to use AI while editing photos (vs flipping to photoshop).  As others have mentioned, it lacks the dialog box to say "remove person and replace with brick wall...," tho I'm sure that feature will arrive at some point.  Sometimes it works beautifully, other times not at all.  Nonetheless, an amazing advancement for those of us who started in a B&W darkroom!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far it looks excellent. Rarely do I have to move on to the further options. Brilliant!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I intended to remove a person from a picture and expected to have the backgroud replace the person, instead it created a new person, not related in anyway to the person removed.  It made me laugh, but not what I was looking for.  Resorted to stamping and content aware removal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff Friedhoffer, "I intended to remove a person from a picture and expected to have the backgroud replace the person, instead it created a new person, not related in anyway to the person removed."

See this article about how to remove rather than replace objects:

If that doesn't help, then upload the original photo, not a screenshot, to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar and post the sharing link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A veces no borra el objeto, sino que lo modifica por otro parecido: por ejemplo, cambia un barco velero, por otro un poco diferente pero similar. Adjunto foto del original por una de las muestras de la modificación.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

@Sandra27974680578h, I had to extend the selection to include every last bit of the boat's reflections in the water, and then it worked well:

johnrellis_0-1717614176887.png johnrellis_2-1717614338256.png

Including reflections and shadows is important for removing objects. See this help article for that and other tips:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not necessarily to do with the Generative AI itself (which is brilliant) but in the module that opens for it and specifically the eye icon which toggles your edits on and off:

Long-clicking on the eye icon hides any editing you've done so you can see the before and after and releasing the mouse button shows the current version again - this is fine. However, single-clicking SHOULD lock the toggle on or off. At the moment, a single click releases the feature when you lift your finger too. Just a small thing but I think it would be quite handy. I'm sure this is how it worked before the Generative AI update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ashley29120109f8d5,: "However, single-clicking SHOULD lock the toggle on or off. At the moment, a single click releases the feature when you lift your finger too. "

Hold down Alt / Opt and toggles will appear that you can click to permanently turn the panel off/on. This change in the user interface for all eye icons was introduced in LR 12.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines