• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Lens Blur (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic & the Lightroom Ecosystem products.

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look for AI-powered Lens Blurā€“giving you the ability to apply optical blur on any image regardless of how it was taken. Lens Blur is now available to try on all Lightroom surfaces.

How does Lens Blur work?
  • Lens blur applies a depth-based blur effect, similar to what can be achieved with real-world optical lenses, by using AI-generated or device-captured depth data (when available).
  • Lens blur will automatically prioritize focus for the detected subject, but you can also interactively adjust the focus distance. Precise focus range tuning is also available (currently desktop only: Lightroom Desktop, Lightroom Classic, and Camera Raw).
  • You can also further customize the Bokeh shapes, highlight Boost (desktop only), and make depth map refinements (desktop only).

Will my Lens Blur adjustments on one surface be synced to other surfaces? I.e. mobile to web to desktop, and vice versa?
  • Yes, all edits will sync. To revert settings, you can go back to previous versions or history steps, or un-apply Lens Blur settings.

Can I add Lens Blur settings to my presets?
  • No, presets and copy + paste workflows are not currently enabled for Lens Blur during Early Access.

For more information, please check out Lens Blur. 

Please give it a try and share feedback in this thread as we continually improve this feature.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager

Current Popular Lens Blur Feature Requests:

Stop by and give them a vote if they're of interest to you!

Posted by: 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Please report your system info via Lightroom>Help>System Info...

If you encounter GPU driver issues while using ML features in LrClassic/LrD/ACR, please try to update to the latest macOS version or if you are on a Windows machine, follow https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html to update your machine to the latest GPU driver and  see if the problem resolves itself.

If the OS or the driver is not available or possible and the problem persists, then try the following

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1965 Replies 1965
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try out the Refine tool. Expand the Refine collapsible widget in the lens blur UI to play with the focus/blur brush. Checkout Julieanne's nice tutorial video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finger got blur out, Ver 13.0.1

Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 12.28.51.png

ā€ƒ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 05, 2023 Nov 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please give the Refine tool a try. Expand the Refine collapsible widget in the lens blur UI to play with the focus/blur brush. Checkout Julieanne's nice tutorial video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2023 Nov 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its unclear how to choose/ fine tune  the forground and background areas that get blured 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2023 Nov 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

only works intermittently  -  very aggravating  -  I hope you can correct it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the pinned reply at the top.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2023 Nov 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to use blur tool brush (with shift). I can't remove completely the automatik blur  mask on an item.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checkout Julieanne's nice tutorial video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2023 Nov 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very nice.  The effects are amazing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

L'ho provato su alcuni ritratti a figura intera e sembra funzionare molto bene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to see that I can use the masks which I created in the masking section (shift + W) as masks in the lens blur section! So I only have to define my main and corrected subbject in a mask only once instead of doing the same in the blurring section. As you can see the depth map needs an adjustment on the wing tips of the plane here mainly on the left side. If you see the mask from the "masking" section it is already once defined. I would like to see that i can import this mask as a focus mask the "lens blur" section? 

masking.JPG

Kind Regards, Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice, but for me as a photojournalist I keep away from it.

Roger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the features is fantastic, i love it !! but this features is unstable, bcs it's keep crashing my PC or lagging .. i hope in the next update, this features work smoothly bcs i love the result, i love the bokeh ..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please follow the pinned reply at the top. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love the new AI lens blur! it works great with very little to ajustments . Now I don't have to worry about switching out prime lenses on an location family shoot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First try: it blurs some sharp antennae of a butterfly into a mess.

See attachment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might be easily fixed via the Refine tool. Checkout Julieanne's nice tutorial video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tested it today with some shots from my pixel 6. It works really well and I like the refinement tools, different bokeh shapes, etc...but damn is it laggy. I've got a beefy rig too, ryzen 9 7900x and a 4080. Using in ACR through Bridge 2024

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is typcially slow on the first use after a fresh install. GPU driver would need to work extra to prep it. The subsequent runs are typically faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should work on Lr mobile on Android. The speed would depend on your internet connection in that case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On an in-camera multiple exposure image with a lot of motion, the blur feature worked amazingly well distinguishing the background from the subject.  I was surprised.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Enjoying this new feature as relates to portraits etc.  To me,  it is most useful for photos taken with equipment that did not allow for natural DOF in the first place. I enjoy going over OLD photos and attempting to make them look like they were taken with lenses that produced shallower DOF. So, that takes me to images like this, taken in 2009 with my Fuji s100fs bridge cam. The background is obviously really cluttered so I've cropped in about 50 percent, then I ran the filter:

Here's before:

jjaylad_0-1699219728051.png

After applying the filter and adjusting it to 100% so I could see the full effect then back down, I actually couldn't see ANY effect at all. Then I tried experimenting with the focal range selection and that worked amazingly well. I had to use the selection brush to blur parts of the power pole right behine the rider, but that worked very well too:

jjaylad_1-1699220722397.png

I took me a bit to get the hang of post application adjustments but to me this is really a great filter. I did want to go further and brush in a few adjustments but found the "Blur" brush was actually UNDOING the effect that was already there. I'm really puzzled about that and would appreciate advice on it.

The sensor on that s100fs was only 2/3 of an inch so DOF wasn't something to write home about. I shot a lot of sports with it and sold framed prints from images cropped to 1/8th or less their original size then painstakenly step by step enlarged in PS, then selected the subject onto its own layer then removed the subject from a copy of the original layer, then blurred that layer and applied a mask with a gradient filter to it for a somewhat realistic result.

Golly Gosh Gee Whizz ...this only saves about AN HOUR OR TWO OF WORK PER IMAGE to get similar results.

GREAT WORK ADOBE!!

Sure would appreciate advice on using the Blur brush so as to avoid it overriding what the initial filtering did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines