• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Lens Blur (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic & the Lightroom Ecosystem products.

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look for AI-powered Lens Blur–giving you the ability to apply optical blur on any image regardless of how it was taken. Lens Blur is now available to try on all Lightroom surfaces.

How does Lens Blur work?
  • Lens blur applies a depth-based blur effect, similar to what can be achieved with real-world optical lenses, by using AI-generated or device-captured depth data (when available).
  • Lens blur will automatically prioritize focus for the detected subject, but you can also interactively adjust the focus distance. Precise focus range tuning is also available (currently desktop only: Lightroom Desktop, Lightroom Classic, and Camera Raw).
  • You can also further customize the Bokeh shapes, highlight Boost (desktop only), and make depth map refinements (desktop only).

Will my Lens Blur adjustments on one surface be synced to other surfaces? I.e. mobile to web to desktop, and vice versa?
  • Yes, all edits will sync. To revert settings, you can go back to previous versions or history steps, or un-apply Lens Blur settings.

Can I add Lens Blur settings to my presets?
  • No, presets and copy + paste workflows are not currently enabled for Lens Blur during Early Access.

For more information, please check out Lens Blur. 

Please give it a try and share feedback in this thread as we continually improve this feature.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager

Current Popular Lens Blur Feature Requests:

Stop by and give them a vote if they're of interest to you!

Posted by: 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Please report your system info via Lightroom>Help>System Info...

If you encounter GPU driver issues while using ML features in LrClassic/LrD/ACR, please try to update to the latest macOS version or if you are on a Windows machine, follow https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html to update your machine to the latest GPU driver and  see if the problem resolves itself.

If the OS or the driver is not available or possible and the problem persists, then try the following

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1965 Replies 1965
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2024 Mar 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find that it doesn't work great with dogs (the furr becomes strange)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used lens blur and when I attempted to undo, Lightroom blurred the entire photo and locked up completely. When  restarted, I was able to use lens blur with no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2024 Mar 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also just updated Lightroom and Lens blur is working well and seems to work very fast now as oppossed to when I first tried it. I really like but I need to learn how to fine tune in some instances.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I USE M2 16MB macbook air and lens blur take for ever. Slows down lightroom. Almost hard to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already commented on the slowness.  But the few images I have tried it seem to retrun an error message, and then I find the system does not work so have to close down and reload.  So whilst I like teh idea, it is not usable for me yet ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed that this feature is a processor, RAM, and Graphics Card hog.
I have an I9 processor with 32 GB of RAM and a 10 GB Nvidia graphics card
and it still sometimes hesitates. It works great, but I can tell it's using
all my PC's resources, and sometimes just quits working. This is more
prominent if I have been using the PC for photo editing for a few hours.
Sometimes, it's better to reboot and start over.

--
Sent from Gmail in PC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had a great experience with Lens Blur today, AI was spot on, the interface for adjusting was easy to use and understand, great addition!

20240304-RSO04857-ARW.jpg

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a fully up to date Adobe Package "Supposedly" Lens blur failed to operate at all and to cap it all, to write this took three levels of verification!  Not impressed at all I'm afraid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Superb feature! No slow-downs or hesitations. Looking forward to testing sports, wildlife and low light pics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW! I'm impressed! It's unbelieveable! I used it and couldn't believe that the final product looks fantastic!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great feature! It's so realistic! I just needed a little bit of blur. It enhanced my image. Thanks Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2024 Mar 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried it out on several images and love teh effect I can generate with it. I'm primarely a wildlife photogapher and like how I can adjust the depth of blur in my backgrounds. So far it has been working great without any issues I have noticed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2024 Mar 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been waiting for a feature like this, love it.  I don't know if it's fully usable for me yet because of Lightroom's less-than-ideal ability to detect a subject like a baseball player that may be holding a bat or a catcher with a face mask.  Working on a photo now where the catcher's face mask cage is out of focus due to the lens blur but then the rest of the mask is in focus.  Not sure how to address this when Lightroom's subject detection wouldn't get it right either.  Would appreciate any tips.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, right after I posted this comment I found the ability to edit the mask with a brush within the Lens Blur tool (expand the "Refine" tab at the bottom of the palette).  Will be great when "AI" is used to detect things like sports gear, etc. and can recognize it's part of the subject.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2024 Mar 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Focus brush to paint over the blurred parts of the picture. Works
unbelievably well.

--
Sent from Gmail in PC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be helpful to be able to refine the blur by selecting objects like you can with masks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love this feature. Please give us the option of including some portion of the image that is in focus and blur that, too. This could be done by adding masking as a way to modify the subject that is left in focus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using blur a lot but finding occasional issues.  With this backlit kangaroo, in places, the backlit fur has been blurred.  I could correct it only partially with the focal range slider.

_3091152-Enhanced-NR-3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It woud be good to have option to refine the subject mask. For my example, all worked well, exept the subjet had doog on the leash and just the area between the leash and leg was not rendered right...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can adjust the mask

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give it a go today! Thank you for answering. I went to start the blur
again but I still get an error on the screen.

Instagram <>
Facebook
<>
Website <>
M: 0404756341 E: adwallyf7@gmail.com
Time Zone: AEDT Melbourne, Australia.
Refer A Friend % and be the 1st for deals!
<>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a correction brush to correct the automatic subject detection? Its a great tool, but in many cases i needed to add parts of my subjects edge (typically things like small shapes on the head - flowers on a hat etc.) but coud not do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on Blur to blur any additional areas and click on Focus to clear any additional areas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found it. Thank you! That's great! Many users seem not to know about it yet..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2024 Mar 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could not get it to work at all...comes up with an error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines