• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Lens Blur (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic & the Lightroom Ecosystem products.

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look for AI-powered Lens Blur–giving you the ability to apply optical blur on any image regardless of how it was taken. Lens Blur is now available to try on all Lightroom surfaces.

How does Lens Blur work?
  • Lens blur applies a depth-based blur effect, similar to what can be achieved with real-world optical lenses, by using AI-generated or device-captured depth data (when available).
  • Lens blur will automatically prioritize focus for the detected subject, but you can also interactively adjust the focus distance. Precise focus range tuning is also available (currently desktop only: Lightroom Desktop, Lightroom Classic, and Camera Raw).
  • You can also further customize the Bokeh shapes, highlight Boost (desktop only), and make depth map refinements (desktop only).

Will my Lens Blur adjustments on one surface be synced to other surfaces? I.e. mobile to web to desktop, and vice versa?
  • Yes, all edits will sync. To revert settings, you can go back to previous versions or history steps, or un-apply Lens Blur settings.

Can I add Lens Blur settings to my presets?
  • No, presets and copy + paste workflows are not currently enabled for Lens Blur during Early Access.

For more information, please check out Lens Blur. 

Please give it a try and share feedback in this thread as we continually improve this feature.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager

Current Popular Lens Blur Feature Requests:

Stop by and give them a vote if they're of interest to you!

Posted by: 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Please report your system info via Lightroom>Help>System Info...

If you encounter GPU driver issues while using ML features in LrClassic/LrD/ACR, please try to update to the latest macOS version or if you are on a Windows machine, follow https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html to update your machine to the latest GPU driver and  see if the problem resolves itself.

If the OS or the driver is not available or possible and the problem persists, then try the following

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1965 Replies 1965
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2024 Mar 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not see any diference !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just want to say I'm Loving this feature - looking forward to seein it's full potential

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very cool feature.  I have only played with it briefly, but I can see uses for it.  Will be happy when it is a full feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this filter option could be added to masking it would be super. I find the AI doesn't select as well as the select people or objects selection in masks. If it did it would be a winner!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey love the lens blur and it works excellent  5 stars

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2024 Mar 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I definately found the tool useful to add depth, but what I lack is the the ability to match the noise to the subject.

If the background goes super fine and the subject has noise, its am imbalanced image. 

So where i want to retain the graininess of the image, i find that the blur lacks an option to add / retain the noise

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2024 Apr 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried a background mask to add grain?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2024 Mar 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beautiful, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to apply this to the video. I divided the video into frames and applied it by dividing it into actions, but I saw the desperate result that the DoF from the first chapter applies the same to the rest of the frames.
Track predetermined objects for two or more images
Or it would be very useful if there was a mode that applied collectively with a predetermined high depth and intensity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While adding blur to a bald eagle in flight it blurred out his white head and white tail feathers leaving only the torso of the bird in focus. On another picture of a bald eagle sitting on a single branch it blurred out the branch the eagle was sitting on that was also in the same plane the eagle. Could you add access to a brush so that you could override the AI and add in or delete the area of the picture that the AI missed calculated? Most times the AI works great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the blur and focus features to add blur or focus to areas where the AI has not got it 100%

Bowel Cancer | Bowel Cancer UK<>
Home | Give a Kidney | Kidney Donation | Live Kidney Donor<>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm impressed with the lens blur tool so far.  I think a great enhancement would be to add the ability to define the focal range  using a brush in addition to the Focal Range bar.  This would allow more detailed refinement of the in- and out-of-focus areas of the photo, as well as more easily discontingous portions of the in and out of focus range.  I guess this would be called a "Focal Range Mask" for want of a better term.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we now add lens blur settings to preset or copy-past add settings? Also, color mixer to the mask panel. Big, big help for batch and skin editing. thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2024 Mar 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive tried to use this a few times but it has never really worked out for me as the auto-mask it applies to the depth of field rang is not very accurate. if it were integrated into masks, where you can define your own mask or at very least edit the mask then it would be great. FOr example, I have a photo of a bird with a long beak and I want the reeds in the background to be more blurred, I can't get it to accurately mask the bird as the focused subject, it includes bits of the background into the subject which looks so bad.... like the apple portrait mode. It needs more customizability in terms of subject selection to make a pro tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2024 Mar 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found it hard to work and changing the filmstrips did nothing different so I won't be wasting anymore time with it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The blur tool seems to work great.  adds nice seperation from the foreground.  Nice way to overcome higher f stop lens.  The blur looks very smooth and of nice quality.  I like it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have tried this on a variety of photos from wildlife to people looks very good

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using this for quite a while, and it has had mostly good results. This time, I had issues with a ship model: it had a lot of issues separating the rigging and the content behind it. To make matters trickier. I used Topaz AI, and Topaz enhanced the faces behind the model ship. When I tried to blur them, it blurred everything around the faces. 

Next, I tried it again without Topaz, and while the results were better, the rigging was too challenging for for a great result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2024 Mar 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far I like it. I'm learning about the intricacies of fine tuning, but the initial effect resmebles in camera shallow DOF very well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love this new feature and I am sure you'll only make it better if that is possible! Well done Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works well but....when changing sttributes such as range and adjusting focus brush it uses phenominal amounts of processor and RAM. It has sometimes shut LR down!

I'm using a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU, 32gb RAM and Nvidia TX3060 12gb graphics card.

That's usually enough for LR/PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2024 Apr 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love the "selective focus" feature. I took a group photo of 6 people who were not perfectly lined up, therefore some where in focus, some were blurred by the blur applied. Selecting Focus and hovering over those out of focus worked just fine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me parece una excelente herramienta. Saludos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature is 100 times better than the optical blur feature in the neutral filter. I am amazed at how well this works and has bokeh options. I am in love with this really!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone help me to blur everything behind the gate?  For some reason, several of the gold leaves on the gate (mostly lower right side)  get blurred.   Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines