• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Tethering support requests and information

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post is applicable to Lightroom Classic.

ETAs for tethered support for specific cameras are not available.

Tethered Capture is a feature of Lightroom Classic that allows the direct connection of your camera to the Lightroom desktop environment. Images are imported into your Lightroom catalog as they are captured via the connected camera. 

New camera support for reading the raw files is generally added quickly after a camera is released by its manufacturer.  New camera support can be verified here: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

Tethered support for a particular camera model normally follows a version or two after the raw file support. Adobe relies on the manufacturer’s (Nikon & Canon) SDK (Software Development Kit) to facilitate the tethering of your camera to Lightroom. The timing of the release of a manufacturer’s support via their SDK greatly affects the time to release for tethered support. In addition, Adobe goes through a rigorous process of integrating the functionality of the SDK and tests tethering before support is announced.

To see if your camera is supported for tethering on your version of Lightroom, refer to this document: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/tethered-camera-support.html

If your camera is listed, but your Lightroom version is too old, you may need to update or upgrade to enable tethering.

If your camera is not listed, and your camera’s raw file isn't supported, you would need to check with the camera’s manufacturer to see if they support tethering via their SDK. 

Note: Not all camera manufacturers or models will necessarily receive tether support.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 437 Replies 437
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2023 Jul 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will Canon R5C be availabe to tether on Lightroom Classic? This camera was release March 2022.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2023 Aug 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any reason why LR Classic still can NOT tether with the Canon R6 Mark II?

The Canon R6 Mark II has been out for 9 months! Should this be acceptable by us subscribers?

Also—is there any reason why tethering isn’t available in Lightroom CC (specifically Lightroom Mobile)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic uses an SDK from Canon, so maybe Canon did not supply an updated version yet?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Is there any reason why LR Classic still can NOT tether with the Canon R6 Mark II?"

Obviously there is a reason, or it would tether. But the likelihood of Adobe sharing that reason with the general public is small to zero: Adobe policy is explicitly not to share or publicise feature roll-out timelines, or to reprioritise based on the number of complaints it gets about a particular camera (see links down the page.)

But most likely it's the usual SDK issue mentioned by Johan. What it isn't, is adobe making a special effort to spite you.

"Should this be acceptable by us subscribers?"

You mean acceptable to you. This subscriber is perfectly fine with the current state of affairs. It's really not hard: if a particular kind of functionality, working with a particular camera, is important to you, buy the camera only after you know it's fully supported. 

Works every time. If I buy a camera in the full knowledge that - say - tethering isn't supported for it, that's on me. The fact that an arbitrarily "too long" time has passed since the camera was released and tethering support is delivered, is just a glimpse into the Real World.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-tethering-support-requests-and-inform...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-tethering-support-requests-and-inform... 

"Also—is there any reason why tethering isn’t available in Lightroom CC (specifically Lightroom Mobile)?"

And again: yes, there must be a reason, or it would be happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a bug - moving to Camera Tethering Primary thread

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2023 Nov 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Canon R6 Mark II has been out for a full year! Should this be acceptable by us subscribers?

Also—is there any reason why tethering isn’t available in Lightroom CC (specifically Lightroom Mobile)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2023 Nov 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is rediculous that Adobe has done close to nothing with tether for the past year.  Poor job.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2023 Aug 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded my Mac because Lightroom was "working natively" on the M2 Macs.  This is true except for Tethering I guess.  I know that Adobe is aware of this but the work around using Rosetta is super inconvenient in a Professional Protrait Studio because every time the cable wiggles and comes loose, tethering locks up and I must restart tethering.

I've waited and waited and it still doesn't work natively.  The D850 has been out for years and it works beautifully on my old macbook.  Why can't this be fixed for all of us Portrait Photographers who shoot tethered all day long.  I bought a brand new $4500 computer and I can't use it.  UGH!

Please fix this Adobe!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2023 Aug 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When is Adobe going to update lightroom to support the Fuji 50sii. It would be great if it were sooner than later

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2023 Aug 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post if it helps you get responses.

<"moved from using the cc desktop ideas">

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After nearly 2 years since the Nikon Z9 was released, Adobe still hasn't managed to get tethering working. It's  a shame for a product you have to pay for each month.

Furthermore, tethering doesn't work native on any M1/2 mac which was released nearly 3 years ago.

To add insult to injury, the 13 page long thread where people are begging for support of many camera's gets locked so they can hide their failings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even the latest update to LRC didn't fix this issue. Adobe still doesn't support the Z9, nor Apple silicon for tethering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He intentado conectar mediante tethering la Canon R6 MkII y no funciona. ¿Sabéis algo? Gracias

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The R6 MkII is actual not supported for tethering.

A list of cameras that can be tethered to Lightroom Classic (adobe.com)

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 -- LR-Classic 14 - Photoshop 26 - Nik Collection 7 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz PhotoAI 3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2023 Sep 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, 

I am a professional photographer, I make portrait, I am using a Canon R6 Mark II bought in December 2022.

Since december I couldn't find a solution to use it with lightroom (tethering capture). 

I am using the latest version of lightroom 12.5 and the Mac Os 13.5.1 

Thanks in advance,

greetings

Luca 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2023 Sep 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings Luca,

unfortunately the R6II is not supported yet for tethering in LrC. There are explanations plenty in this thread. Patience is what is needed at this time. However going by previous release schedules a new version of LrC will be released to coincide with #AdobeMAX coming soon, let's hope 👍🏾

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When comes tethering support for canon R8?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tethering EOS R8 support in Lightroom Classic, is this coming soon? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless an actual Adobe employee reply's, and only if Adobe allows them to remark on such. We normal users, your fellow members have no inside info on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2023 Sep 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good evening

I have been trying to tether my R6ii with LR. This is new territory for me as I haven't tried this before.

I have got a tethertools cabler USB C to USB C to connect to my Macbook.

LRC is updated to 12.5

My camera, lens and compute are all updated as of today but it still doesn't work. I have attached a photo of the back of the camera when it's in LRC. I have got it conected via EOS Utilities and that worked.

If anyone has any tips/ advice that's greatly appreciated.

I put this in bugs as I am not sure if it's a LRC issue or a Canon issue or a user issue!

Thank you in advance

Marsha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2023 Sep 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tethering the Canon EOS R6 MkII isn't supported yet.

You can see which cameras are supported at below page link

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/tethered-camera-support.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ian

yup I've updated LRC to 12.5 which includes the R6ii, so in theory it should work! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The R6 MkII isn't listed as being supported. I know that I can't tether my R6 MkII whereas my R5 tethers without issue.

Are you sure that you're not confusing the 6D MkII and R6 MkII. The former is listed as having tether support whereas the latter isn't listed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines