• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Toolbar [Done] Button has moved to tool bar beneath Histogram

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola, tras la nueva actualizacion a Lightroom Classic 12.0, el botón "HECHO" que se encontraba en la esquina inferior derecha para dar el OK luego de añadir nuevas mascaras, recortes y algunos ajustyes locale.....pues ese botón ha desaparecido de mi programa LrC 12.0,,,,,no se que ha pasado, tengo que dar ENTER en mi teclado o bien doble click fuera de la imagen para aplicar cambios,,,,,,me pueden decir si esta nueva actualizacion se ha cargado ese botón o es que hay alguna forma de activarlo...??... antes se encontraba en este sitio, adjunto imagen de referencia.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

The [Done] button is no longer in the Tool Bar ([ T ]) for the Crop, Mask, Target Adjustment Tools (TAT), White Balance and the Guided Upright tools. It is replaced by the [Return to Edit] button to the left of the Crop tool under the Histogram. The button now applies and exits the active tool.

Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 7.38.40 AM.png

Note: There is more than one way to commit each of these tools.

Example: Crop Tool

1. You can click the [Return to Edits] button that replaced [Done] or
  2. You can click the Crop icon again or
  3. You can use

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 136 Replies 136
LEGEND ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem isn't it's name, call it whatever. The problem is it's location on the page (top instead of down) and the lack of coherence between the different tools and panels. 

By @rrr_hhh

Honestly, I don't see any reason to prefer buttons on the top versus buttons on the bottom. I do understand the lack of coherence between different tools and panels, and I would not be surprised if  Adobe does more tweaking of the user interface to achieve coherence between different tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Honestly, I don't see any reason to prefer buttons on the top versus buttons on the bottom" 

Because it's programmed in our mind : we read texts from top left to down right; we "read" pictures in the same way and treat them more or less that way. So so clicking under the bottom right of the picture edited to confirm you wants these changes and pass at the next step makes sense. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Honestly, I don't see any reason to prefer buttons on the top versus buttons on the bottom" 

Because it's programmed in our mind : we read texts from top left to down right; we "read" pictures in the same way and treat them more or less that way. So so clicking under the bottom right of the picture edited to confirm you wants these changes and pass at the next step makes sense. 

By @rrr_hhh

A lot of my local editing is sky areas. My mouse finishes editing near the top of the screen. A "done" button is not preferable to me if it is at the bottom of the screen.

But I have never used any of these buttons ... I simply go on to the next edit ... more efficient than clicking a "Done" button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm all for multiple buttons that do the same thing, so why not keep the Done button then? Did Adobe test this prior to making the change? For people who have used the program for many years, I seriously doubt they returned with a thumbs up for this change. All changes made in the program over the years have been fantastic with the excpetion of this one, in my opinion. It adds zero value to the program!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Viktorija G. wrote:

I 100% AGREE. Should we create a petition "Bring button DONE back!!!" ? 

see:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-bring-back-done-button/idi-p/13278079

but personally, I want a vote down button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems like a bad design decision. Now users must hit the keyboard to execute (DONE) instead continuing to edit with just the mouse?!?  Ouch! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SeaTurtleBud, stated "This seems like a bad design decision. Now users must hit the keyboard to execute (DONE) instead continuing to edit with just the mouse?!?  Ouch! "

Absolutely not if you are using an editing tool, e.g. the crop tool you click on the crop icon to activate carry out your crop task when you have completed your work and click on the crop icon it will save your work and return you to where you were working previously. If you click on another tool then the crop would save and you will be sent to the new selected option. No keyboard action is involved.

In my workflow I rearly use keyboard keys, no need for the "Done button".

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The redundant Done button is gone because it's not needed.

Users do not need to hit the Enter key to close a tool. Click the open tool's icon or click the new Edit icon or click the Close at the bottom of the tool panel or press Enter. All these do the same as the old Done button.

Yes, users might find they have to retrain the muscle memory. It won't take long and is probably good for your brain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAICT a number of people seem to have concluded that clicking [Done] somehow related to "applying the change" or some such notion - IMO not only mistaken but misleading. 

In typical applications, modally available controls - such as a PS filter or a dialog box or whatever - impose a decision point before you can return to the normal workspace. Only if you clicked Apply, Done, OK or some such - would the change(s) be committed. That would not happen if you were to pull the plug first, or if you clicked a Cancel button. 

LrC works very differently in this respect. The instant you've released the cursor button from an individual action such as choosing a different crop aspect, adjusting a linear gradient's angle, altering a slider value, whatever - that's already committed and a fresh History step is already showing accordingly. The deed is already done. 

Whether you thereafter want to keep using that same tool or to exit it, is a quite separate matter from this "deed". All that the now-missing button ever did, was to stop offering a particular tool's interface. IMO the word "Done" was always ill chosen so far as what it implied. The "Close" button makes logical sense within the relevant tool panel itself, because that is exactly what it does. But duplicating this onto the Toolbar and calling that button "Close", might have been taken as closing the toolbar itself rather than closing the relevant tool panel.

When it's so unclear what a given button should even rightly say... how can its action be anything but ambiguous?

(if you look at what other Toolbar controls remain: they all have to do with interface - not, applying edits)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Richard,

Thanks for this perspective, I follow your point. If, as you say "the word "Done" was always ill chosen so far as what it implied" have LRC users protested having this button for 12 years or more? I actually agree with your opinion about the functionality of this button ( I myself use the EnterX2 option), yet it seems that changing/taking away what was an "ill-chosen" decision for many years, appears to have some withdrawal side effects. Well, it's not quite like replacing nutritionless white bread with whole grain, more like saying you do not need to eat bread anymore - this was a useless part of your regular diet...A bad habit...
 The "Done" button was harmless even if unnecessary.
I am concerned about this only for the sake of my senior students, those in their 70's +++. They are doing hard brain exercises holding on to LRC editing, it is not easy for them...Let's see how this will affect their workflow. Today is D-Day, (Done Day??...) I will be presenting "What's New in V12" to my LRC Golden Club Senior members. Will report back. I'm Done for now...

Tovit

Expert in Senior training on LRC & Photoshop>Tovit Lore<br />Expert in Senior training on LRC & Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those who (as I did) saw no reason for a Done button on the Toolbar, had no reason to protest at its existence and don't celebrate its passing now. We had simply ignored it, if we'd ever even noticed it. We were all happy with other ways to exit from e.g. Crop. 

Yes, if my own habitual way of exiting Crop had just been taken away - I'd probably be briefly unhappy too, until I adapted. And then perhaps I may find I prefer the new way... this has happened before.

Such is change, unfortunately. Change that directly adds an improvement, or change that slims down to rationalise (which is an indirect form of improvement, but commendable too). This particular button is a strange one IMO: in that some people seem to regard it as somehow more "careful" to positively terminate using a tool, before moving on to the next thing. That's illusory but I would agree, harmlessly so.

What is not helpful, though, is if this ritual has lead people to believe their last action has somehow not been applied unless / until they've clicked a confirming button.

That was never the case, and clarity on what's going on and on what isn't, is the key to success with LrC in particular. Its efficiencies are IMO somewhat like the benefits of a diet - which is as much about what you leave off eating, as about what you take up eating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me personally it has nothing to do with believing my changes are not applied unless I press the Done button. It's only a habit in muscle memory to press a button with a mouse/pen in that specific place (bottom right corner) in order to exit a particulart editing tool (Crop, Healing, Masking). As this habit was built over years, now it's counterintuitive to look for this button in Local Adjustment panel (I mean the Edit icon).

If part of users didn't ever use the Done button - good for them, nothing changes. But I see that there are plenty of users like me with this habit. It is disrupting the workflow we've been used to for many years. It will take some time to adjust. I'm just wondering - if the Done button was unnecessary BUT harmless, what was the reason of removing it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@richard, What it does or does not do technically is irrelevent to a User who has used it for years to essentially reset the image to a nuetral state to move on to the next edit. To remove it, redundant or not, is short sighted and a large disservice to a large portion of the user base. It doesn't matter if there are "other" ways to do it, it doesnt matter if there's 10 or 10,000 ways. Adobe removed something that a lot of us use. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nothing is going to change by continuing this discussion here.

make your wish known to adobe here - for applicable apps, use https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/x-productkb/global/how-to-user-voice.html

for others, use https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't care if its redundant by 100 times. It's a feature I got used to and changing is frustrating. It didn't need to happen. Stop "improving" software, Adobe! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@PatrickMcG, then stop updating your software.  install the version you want and leave alone for as long it's compatible with your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't care if its redundant by 100 times. It's a feature I got used to and changing is frustrating. It didn't need to happen. Stop "improving" software, Adobe! 

By @PatrickMcG

Please keep improving the software, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it was redundant at all and that is clearly demonstrated here by many comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree, it was not redundant - only the developers thought so, I'm thinking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw some noise about the 'Done' button in LR and was a bit puzzled what it even was, because despite using LR since the original Beta, I have never used the done button. Hitting 'enter' to signify done is pretty much a universal standard in all kinds of software, so I just do that instead. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like my image window as large as possible- I regularly close the Tool bar - then I never see the [Done] button. I have no need for it with all the other options available.

A nice 'tidy up' Adobe.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New version of LR Classic

When I'm in cropping, masking, healing, one of those 5 icons under the histogram, the option of "Done" that I have been clicking for the last 8 years is no longer there. I have to go up to "Reset | Close" and click close. That needs to be fixed ASAP please. Thank you. 

PatrickMcG_0-1666624015289.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been discussed many times already. Either the Edit icon (left-most in the local adjustment panel) or the Masking icon (right-most in the local adjustment panel) or "Close" produces the same effect as the "Done" button used to produce. The "Done" button has been removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just upgraded to 12.0 for Lightroom Classic on Windows 10 on PC (didn't really seem to have a choice about that) and now the crop tool is no longer working like it used to and I don't know how to get it back.

If I go to crop, the Done button has disappeared, but worse than that, I can no longer manage the grop from one side or one corner. It now just automatically crops the whole lot keeping it in the same ratio the photo was taken.

I've searched in Preferences but can't find anything that will put the crop tool back to where it was. Does anyone know how please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The [Done] button has been removed in v12- It is redundant! (FOUR other ways to [Done].!!}

1) Click the (new) Edit Button instead, to return to Developing-

2022-10-26 15_30_47-Roberts Catalog-v12 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.jpg

2) Or- Click on the Crop Tool icon once again,

3) Or press the [Enter/Return] key.

4) Or Press keyboard key [R]  which both opens and closes the Crop tool.

To enable changing the "Ratio"- click on the Padlock to 'open' it allowing a 'Freehand' crop.

Click on the context menu next to the padlock for crop ratio presets.

Use Custom ratios, that you define, and LrC will store up to Five of your custom ratios.

2022-10-26 15_31_32-Roberts Catalog-v12 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.jpg2022-10-26 15_31_45-Roberts Catalog-v12 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines