• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photos won't display in Parent folders or All Photographs

Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After upgrading to LR4 from LR3 when I go to the library and click on "All photographs" none of my 86000 photos show up.

The same thing happens in folders module....for example:

1. My photos are in folders titled 20120306

2. Those folders are siored in a single "parent" folder called 2012

3. All the "parent" year folders are in a folder called MAIN

When I click on main it does not display any photos but it tells me how many photos are in the folder

When I click on 2012 it does not display any photos but it tells me how many photos are in the folder

When I click on 20120306 it then dislays the photos.

I am not sure why clicking on 2012 it would not show me ALL of the photos taken in 2012, that is what LR3 did......

PLEASE help as I am very puzzled by this!

Kevin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 31, 2012 May 31, 2012

This issue has been fixed in Lightroom 4.1, which is now available.  To download the 4.1 update, go to the Help menu in Lightroom and choose "Check for Updates".

Thanks,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 110 Replies 110
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2012 Mar 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too had problem this morning with 73,000 photos. I use the 'All Photos" selection all the time especially when filtering. Reading these posts I started from scratch with a new catalog and an import from my last LR3 catalog. Yes, it took 6 hours, and YES IT IS FIXED. So, just do it. I was working on my PC doing spreadsheets, internet, e-mail etc the whole while, suffering through the mollases. But, everything is so sluggish, I think I'll still be running LR3 until the first LR4 update. Very dissapointing that the prerease testing did not elucidate fixes for these issues. But we need to betatest so that the CS6 release fares better!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BirderFrank,

WHat about all of your flags, stars, develop settings? Are you able to get this information back?

I will post any information that I get when the engineer from Adobe calls me back. He told me possibly within 24 hours. I will let everyone know as soon as I know!!

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything was there....flags, presets, key words, and collections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same Problem on my Side. I have 110.000 Images. In LR3 was this no Problem. Only now in LR4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if - in the Library Module - you go >Library and check <Show photos in subfolders>?

Does that not show the photos in the parent folder? It did in Lr4 beta.

This item is worded confusingly. It should read: "Show photos that are in subfolders also in the parent folder."

WW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Web-Weaver, checking "Show photos in subfolders" does not solve the issue. 

Birder Frank, glad it worked for you.  I left my running all last night and only made it through 15k images. I canceled it this morning and called Adobe.  They started me doing in import from catalog again, but I canceled that as well.  I am currently exporting my current catalog in smaller chunks to see if that will resolve the issue.  First export 5800 images ran just fine.  Exporting the rest 39k went to 80% complete and then crashed LR3.  I'm now splitting up the remaining 39k into < 10k chunks, exporting those.  I'll reply again once I get exported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly what I did. I ran a test with 2 small folders and A Files worked so I gave it a go. The sluggishness I have not solved though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked for everything BUT the All Photos top level selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It took my 29,044 catalog of images roughly 25 minutes to process through.

I'm running an Intel i7 2.5Ghz, 12MB RAM and the catalog is located on the internal HDD serial ATA 1TB, Windows 7 64-bit.

Is everyone doing the minimal preview?  Doing anything beyond that not only increases the size of the catalog, but also requires more processing time during the import.

Getting machine specs might help us find a common thread to all this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running 3.3ghz i7 2700k, 16gb of ram. 8900 images on internal HDD, ~37k images on external drive.  By attempting to export first, I'm hoping to bypass the preview issue as it should use the previews that are there already, there is no option to render previews on import from catalog that I am aware of.  My export of the 8900 images just went to 85% and crashed lightroom.  I have shut down machine, rebooted, optimized the catalog and attempting export again.

Edit: So, I had to reduce my export to ~5100 images to get it to complete.  When it finished, it presented an error window indicating it could not find/did not have previews for all the images.  Seems kind of odd to me as I can see them all.  I'm exporting another image file of ~3k images next.  Then I will try and import them.

It's gonna be real ugly if I have to regenerate 45k previews again.

Edit again: Ok, this is not going to work.  The Export Catalog actually copies everything from the current drive to the backup location, the catalog and the images etc.  Upon import, the files are not imported from their locations, but rather the images just backed up in the export are what is imported.

I'm going to move all my images to one primary drive.  Try regenerating all previews and see if I can import from the LR3 catalog again and get it to complete.  What a nightmare this is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything (including displaying all photos by selecting the root folder) is now working correctly for me. Here is what I did:

1) Told LR4 to create a new catalog

2) Opened the new catalog in LR4

3) File... Import from another catalog...

4) Pointed the import to a copy of my (non-converted) LR3 catalog

5) LR4 first converted the LR3 catalog to a temp LR4 catalog and then did the import

6) Total time to import 108,423 images (on a NAS box) was about 1.75 hours

7) At the end of the import process, LR4 threw an error message about an error importing the catalog. I dismissed the message and all appears to be fine. Everything works and all of my keywords etc are where they should be.

8) YMMV, but this is definitely worth a try for you guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just discovered that, as an added bonus, my *entire* catalog reverse-geocoded during the import!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked for me.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a possible solution if nothing else works. In the old LR3 catalog select all the photos and write the metadata to files. Then reimport in a new LR4 catalog. There is the issue that you lose the history of edits but the files are imported. As far as I experienced, sometimes the catalogs become slightly corrupted and start to behave very strange but only when certain conditions are met.

Since LR4 beta went public, I think that I made the most extensive import tests on huge folders and only had problems after going over 200000 files (1.5 TB of mixed photo and video files with metadata written to files or as sidecar). In one go, LR4 imports 200000 files from my dataset in about 4h30min without issues. If you go over 210000 files the performance decreases very fast. For 225000 files it takes at least 10h if LR manages not to crash. And it never arrived at 230000 in one go.

IMPORTANT: Be aware that on large imports LR consumes lots of temporary disk space. For the 220000 files import, I need around 70GB free space. That space is freed after the import is complete and LR is restarted. If you don't have enough space LR may crash without warning about low space.

My config: Intel Core i7 740QM, 8 GB DDR3, 500 GB internal drive, multiple 2 TB external drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 08, 2012 Mar 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cristian Samoila wrote:

There is a possible solution if nothing else works. In the old LR3 catalog select all the photos and write the metadata to files. Then reimport in a new LR4 catalog. There is the issue that you lose the history of edits but the files are imported. As far as I experienced, sometimes the catalogs become slightly corrupted and start to behave very strange but only when certain conditions are met.

This really isn't a solution. The problem is NOT that the new LR4 catalog that was created by converting the LR3 doesn't have the right photos. It does have the right photos!

The problem is that there is a bug in the way LR4 displays the photos in certain instances. Creating a new catalog by importing (in addition to the huge number of disadvantages that re-importing has) does nothing to eliminate the bug, and of course the same bug could affect the new LR4 catalog you spent so much time importing photos into.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2012 Mar 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! richardondrovic's solution worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here with 94'400 pictures. Issue though not with all subfolders. Assume it was based on a certain number of pictures in the (sub)folder.

Issue resolved:

> Created a new catalogue in LR4

> Importing the old LR3 catalogue

> Took estimated 40mins for 94k pictures

> Ignored the error warning after import was finalized

> seems as if everthing is perfectly fine, incl. all stars, tags, and other metadata not previously saved to pictures

> I will keep both, old LR3 and upgraded LR4 catalogues as backup (you never know)

Good look and have fun with LR4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with about 120k pictures. I was able to create a new catalog and reimport the LR3 catalog but I lost all my publishing service setups and galleries which is unacceptable. How can Adobe not test this, this is not an isolated incident by the looks of things.

I did try to recreate the standard size previews and it appeared to work for a few folders but not others.

I also received the catalog conversion error at the end of the import but it didn't seem to impact anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have had the problem and to take it further I have found that for me it is the number of Thumbs (Including VIrtual Photos) in the sub directory.

The magic number for me is 3418,

With 3417 thumbs total in the subdirectories then they dispay in the parent folder but as soon as I go to 3418 thumbs in the sudirectories all thumbs in the parent folder dissappear.

Hope we get a fix soon this is sending me balmy.

I do not want to loose all of my collections and virtual photos let alon my edit history.

I will stick with LR3 till it is solved I think

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have Just got the result I want with a work around that I think someone else has suggested.

Let lr4 upgrade the lr3 catalog as per normal.

Then in lr4 create new catalog.

Then choose to import photos from existing catalogue with: FILE/Import from another catalog....

Choose the newly creat lr4 catalog from the previously upgrade LR4 catalogue.

Everything appears to be as it should be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried something else, which solved the problem for me.

I opened LR4, created a new catalogue. I then imported the LR3 catalogue directly to the new LR4 catalogue. The system obviously converted the LR3 catalogue on the fly. At the end of the import I got e message saying that that LightRoom couldn’t import the catalogue, but it did it and all works ok J

Like I said, all works ok and the development history is preserved.

Regards

Danny

<http://www.dportnoy.com/> My website

My photo blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 09, 2012 Mar 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does seem to solve the problem if you use the Import from another catalog function to upgrade your LR3 catalog, but keep in mind that Publish Service connections are not included in catalog import/export, so you would lose those in the transition to LR4, and would have to re-create them all from scratch.

If you don't use Publish Services then this is not an issue for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right. I have to set them up again …..

Regards

Danny

<http://www.dportnoy.com/> My website

My photo blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2012 Mar 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi !

This worked for me exept that I lost all my keywords wich I use to search for in close to 90000 images. Do you have a solution for this as well I would really appreciate it.

Regards

Erik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encountered the same problem after upgrading to LR4. No images were shown when viewing All Photographs. I created a new catalog and imported from my freshly created LR4 catalog but that didn't work. I created a second new catalog but this time I chose to import from my previous LR3 catalog which did fix the problem, for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines