• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preset not applied to file from Topaz when saved back to Lightroom

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Olympus cameras and by default Olympus includes the words 'Olympus Digital Camera' in the caption metadata field of their raw files.  This phrase then appears in that field of photos imported into Lightroom.  I use a preset developed by a helpful Lightroom user to remove this caption during import.

I noticed recently in using Topaz denoise (or their other plugins), that when the processed file is saved back to Lightroom the words 'Olympus Digital Camera' have reappeared in the caption field of that file.  I contacted Topaz to see if they could suggest a workaround but they said it was an issue for Adobe. 

I can reapply the preset manually (if I remember) but I was hoping their might be a more sophisticated solution please?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2023 Jan 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you use the metadata preset to remove the Olympus caption, are you leaving the field blank or do you enter your own caption? If you leave it blank, then it does appear that LrC ignores that field when creating the derivative image for Topaz (or even Photoshop) so the Olympus text remains in the derivative. If you include your own Caption text, that is then correctly included in the derivative instead.

It feels a little bit like a bug to me, because even if you save metadata to XMP prior to the "Edit in....", a blank caption field is returned with the Olympus text.....which I don't think should happen.

The only workaround appears to be to add your own caption text prior to the "Edit in...." action (I do that anyway for all my images, so I never noticed the issue with my own Olympus files).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim, thanks so much for your reply. I do leave the caption field blank and that is when the issue occurs.  I tried your approach of adding some text to the caption field before roundtripping to Topaz, and the derivative image correctly included that text.  I'll report the issue to Adobe as a possible bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

On my system I can confirm what Jim Wilde indicates, if the field is left blank the Olympus tag returns. I do not save metatadata to xmp so have not checked that part.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using External editor presets, or does this use the Plugin Extras menu? If the latter it may be that raw files are being sent, before any Lightroom information, including metadata, is applied. If the former, can we see a screenshot of the Additional Editor settings for DeNoise? 

I did have an Olympus Pen and the E-M5 so I appreciate how annoying this text is. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I use a preset developed by a helpful Lightroom user to remove this caption during import."

If this creates a problem with your ORF Olympus raw image files what makes you think that is a "bug" in LrC that Adobe needs to correct?

Adobe creates profiles and support for raw image files from your camera model so you can import and work with them in LrC. This process happens each and every time support for new camera models.

If you interfere with the data in the Raw images what makes you think Adobe needs to make provision for those changes?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Denis,

I believe the OP is using a Metadata preset to change the really annoying embedded Caption from Olympus. The issue is that files being returned from the plugin that should've had this updated caption, don't have it. Via external editing, it should normally happen as this creates a rendered file. I've asked if it's Plugin Extras, because this often just sends the Raw for processing

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my testing, Sean, the standard Edit In... process will result in this happening (even using Edit in Photoshop). I definitely think it's a bug as the derivative Tiff/PSD should inherit the metadata from the original, but in this case the blank caption field (in the catalog) is not transferred to the derivative, so the annoying Olympus caption is copied to the derivative instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's fair enough @Jim Wilde. I would certainly expect it to carry over with Edit In.. 

So I created a Clear Caption which clears both caption and IPTC Headline. I applied it to an Olympus file and with 'Create a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments' selected, I use Edit in to open Radiant Photo. Guess what? 

Saved file has the Olympus caption, so it's not just Topaz. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote "using a Metadata preset to change the really annoying embedded Caption from Olympus" 

Maybe the preset is not removing the caption but it is just being hidden?

As a matter of interest, what is annoying about that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the preset is not removing the caption but it is just being hidden?

As a matter of interest, what is annoying about that?

By @DdeGannes

You're not thinking this through, Denis. The preset updates the catalog with the new empty caption field (it's a raw file, so nothing can remove the caption that's embedded in the raw, right?). The expectation then is that when creating a derivative that empty caption field from the catalog would persist into the derivative, but in this "Edit in..." scenario it doesn't, so the caption embedded by Olympus still shows up. If you export the raw file to jpeg or tiff, with the empty caption field showing in the catalog, the resulting jpeg or tiff will have the empty caption field. That is what I would expect, and is also what I would expect when creating the Tiff derivative for editing in the external editor.

"Annoying" is a subjective matter of opinion. If you don't find it annoying then lucky you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's annoying is any social media or exif aware photo site uses that Olympus hard coded caption as the description. When you've had to remove it repeatedly, it gets old very quicky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines