• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Profile not working / mismatch for old images

Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2023 Sep 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. The "Profile" field for photos edited with old versions of Lightroom seems to be reporting / using an incorrect one. I am using Lightroom Classic 12.5 on Windows 10.

I noticed the error when editing photos from a session I took in 2019. I edited the pictures with the version of Lightroom that was available at that time . A couple of months ago I tried to edit some additional photos of that session and I noticed that when I copied the settings from one picture to another the colors would never match. So I thought this would be the Copy/Paste setting issue with the "Curve" checkbox.

To replicate the issue I tried creating a new virtual copy of an already edited photo, I reset all the settings of the virtual copy and copied all the settings from the edited photo to the new virtual copy. All the settings would copy just fine, however the colors would look different. Below are the two pictures (on the left is the original edit and on the right is the new virtual copy with all the settings copied):

Screenshot 2023-07-19 122742.jpg

I tried comparing the settings of both photos using the bag-o-goodies plug-in, and it reported that all the settings were indeed the same except for the "Camera Profile", which is strange because I selected the "Treatment & Profile" checkbox when copying the settings. I reviewed the details of both photos and both had the "Adobe Portrait" Profile as seen below:

Screenshot 01.jpg

As a final test, I edited the new virtual copy, and applied the "Adobe Portrait" Profile assuming it was incorrectly applied, and nothing happened. Then I tried the same with the original photo that contained the edits I wanted, when I applied the "Adobe Portrait" Profile, the colors now look exactly the same as in the newly created virtual copy. As can be seen in the video below:

This is strange, because the Photo already had the "Adobe Portrait" Profile applied. So, this is making me think that although Lightroom is reporting the Profile as "Adobe Portrait", it is really using something else.

At some point, between 2019 and now, I updated all the pictures to Process "Version 6 (Current)". I think the upgrade had something to do with this issue with the Profile, maybe the one I edited used an old "Adobe Portrait" Profile and in newer versions the Pofile was updated.

Any help or guidance is muchly appreciated, it has been a pain trying to match colors.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. The "Profile" field for photos edited with old versions of Lightroom seems to be reporting / using an incorrect one. I am using Lightroom Classic 12.5 on Windows 10.

I noticed the error when editing photos from a session I took in 2019. I edited the pictures with the version of Lightroom that was available at that time . A couple of months ago I tried to edit some additional photos of that session and I noticed that when I copied the settings from one picture to another the colors would never match. So I thought this would be the Copy/Paste setting issue with the "Curve" checkbox.

To replicate the issue I tried creating a new virtual copy of an already edited photo, I reset all the settings of the virtual copy and copied all the settings from the edited photo to the new virtual copy. All the settings would copy just fine, however the colors would look different. Below are the two pictures (on the left is the original edit and on the right is the new virtual copy with all the settings copied):

Screenshot 2023-07-19 122742.jpg

I tried comparing the settings of both photos using the bag-o-goodies plug-in, and it reported that all the settings were indeed the same except for the "Camera Profile", which is strange because I selected the "Treatment & Profile" checkbox when copying the settings. I reviewed the details of both photos and both had the "Adobe Portrait" Profile as seen below:

Screenshot 01.jpg

As a final test, I edited the new virtual copy, and applied the "Adobe Portrait" Profile assuming it was incorrectly applied, and nothing happened. Then I tried the same with the original photo that contained the edits I wanted, when I applied the "Adobe Portrait" Profile, the colors now look exactly the same as in the newly created virtual copy. As can be seen in the video below:

This is strange, because the Photo already had the "Adobe Portrait" Profile applied. So, this is making me think that although Lightroom is reporting the Profile as "Adobe Portrait", it is really using something else.

At some point, between 2019 and now, I updated all the pictures to Process "Version 6 (Current)". I think the upgrade had something to do with this issue with the Profile, maybe the one I edited used an old "Adobe Portrait" Profile and in newer versions the Pofile was updated.

If needed I can send a sample of the Catalog with this 2 Photos. Any help or guidance is muchly appreciated, it has been a pain trying to match colors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 16, 2023 Sep 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you use the Adobe DNG Converter to convert those 2019 photos to DNG before importing them into LR? There is an obscure problem with camera profiles caused by misfeatures of both the DNG converter and LR.

Regardless, select two of the photos having the problem, do File > Export As Catalog with the options Export Selected Photos Only and Export Negative Files.  Zip the exported catalog folder, upload it to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar, and post the sharing link here.

Without access to the catalog and original photos, it will be impossible to diagnose the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 16, 2023 Sep 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Armagonz as I said in the other thread please do share the files.

You had this issue for weeks and yet you didn't share anything.

We can't help you if you if you not share.

Follow @johnrellis instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @johnrellis and @C.Cella 

I thought it had to be accepted as a bug before I could send the files. Here is the export.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pVZgwGR3DLJNcTYWAtS9VZd_Y1GxITl3/view?usp=drive_link

Any guidance is more than welcome.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

You're tripping over obscure behavior in LR that wasn't well-designed (in my opinion):

All three images in the test catalog use the profile Adobe Portrait.  Adobe Portrait is implemented as an "enhanced profile" that is based on the Adobe Standard camera profile. The image edited in 2019 uses the original version of Adobe Standard for the Z 7, while the image edited just now uses Adobe Standard v2. It's not possible to tell this in the LR user interface -- you have to use Any Filter plugin or the free Show Catalog Metadata plugin.

The original version of Adobe Standard for the Z 6 and Z 7 had problems with white balance, so Adobe later released the v2 versions to fix that. This was never well-documented in the release notes, and Adobe has discarded the old forum discussions about this, but the Internet Archive contains an Adobe help article about it:

https://web.archive.org/web/20220901000000*/https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/white-balance-issu...

The article only mentions the Z 6, but apparently it also applies to the Z 7 (the cameras were released at the same time).

When you edited the photo in 2019, you applied Adobe Portrait, which implicitly applied Adobe Standard (v1).  When you apply Adobe Portrait now, it implicitly applies Adobe Standard v2, with a much different white balance.

When you use Sync Settings to copy Treatment & Profile from the 2019 photo to, say, a fresh virtual copy that's been reset, Sync Settings copies Adobe Portrait, implicitly applying Adobe Standard v2, even though the original photo used the original v1 version.

You can force the old photos to use the new version of Adobe Portrait/Adobe Standard v2 by changing their profile to "Adobe Standard" (or any other profile) and then changing back to Adobe Portrait. This will of course change the white balance.

You can explicitly set the profile of a photo to the original version of Adobe Standard by selecting it from the Legacy group in the Porifle Browser:

johnrellis_0-1695108182641.png

However, there is no way to apply Adobe Portrait using the original Adobe Standard (v1), a design oversight -- you'll always get Adobe Standard v2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@johnrellis Sorry you beat me to it.

I was still writing as you posted and didn't see the refresh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for such a detailed answer to my issues. What you describe is consistent with the behavior I am seeing in all the photos I took with the Z7 and edited before 2022 using the Adobe Profile, when I try to edit any of them now the colors look different. 

Where can I find addtional information about the "enahced profiles", I always assumed that Adobe Portrait, Landscape, etc. were completely different profiles, not based on the Standard Profile. Also, I do not have that "Legacy" group that is in your screenshot in my Lightroom Profile Browser, how can I get it?

I visited the Internet Archive site and in all the cases it suggests to download the Standard v2 profiles, without much information about what were the issues with v1. For me, this raises a couple of questions:

• Is there a way to get access to the original "Nikon Z 7 Adobe Standard.dcp"? I assume that if I can get it and install it in my Lightroom Folder, I could just tell Lightroom to use that profile and my issues would be solved, right?
  • Where can I find what are the issues with the Adobe Standard v1? Should I be concerned about any of my old edits?
  • Is there an easy way to have the white balance match between both profiles? Right now I am doing it by hand and although I am getting very similar colors, I cannot get exactly the same colors as in the first edits.

Once again, thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Where can I find addtional information about the "enahced profiles", I always assumed that Adobe Portrait, Landscape, etc. were completely different profiles, not based on the Standard Profile."

Enhanced profiles (sometimes referred to as "creative profiles") were added to LR 7.3. They are implemented as .xmp files and contain up to two lookup tables, Basic Develop settings, and a reference to the base camera profile (.dcp). You can read about the user-level functionality of enhanced profiles here:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/camera-profiles/

You can create enhanced profiles using Camera Raw -- google for "create enanced profiles for camera raw" for lots of tutorials on that.

You can get more technical details about enhanced profiles by downloading the Profiles SDK:

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/digital-negative.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I do not have that "Legacy" group that is in your screenshot in my Lightroom Profile Browser, how can I get it?"

It's probably hidden by default. In the Profile Browser, right click the group Adobe Raw (or any group), and do Manage Profiles.  Check Legacy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Is there a way to get access to the original "Nikon Z 7 Adobe Standard.dcp"? I assume that if I can get it and install it in my Lightroom Folder, I could just tell Lightroom to use that profile and my issues would be solved, right?"

If you wanted to consistently use the original Adobe Standard for the Z 7, including in enhanced profiles, you'd have to delete Nikon Z 7 Adobe Standard v2.dcp, and remember to re-delete it every time you update LR. On Mac, it's stored in:

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles/Adobe Standard/Nikon Z 7 Adobe Standard v2.dcp

It's in some analagous location on Windows.

But I don't think that's a viable long-term solution -- I think it's best to use the v2 profile for all edits going forward.  Otherwise confusion and madness will creep in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Where can I find what are the issues with the Adobe Standard v1?"

The Internet Archived article I linked to is the only thing I could find. There used to be a long thread about the old feedback forum when the problem first surfaced with the original profile, but Adobe unfortunately deleted most of the content from that forum a couple years ago.

"Should I be concerned about any of my old edits?"

Your old edits will continue to work and display the same results going forward, provided you don't touch the Profile of the old photos.  But as you've discovered, you won't be able to copy settings from the old edits, since the references to Adobe Standard will silently get replaced by Adobe Standard v2.

"Is there an easy way to have the white balance match between both profiles?"

Not that I know of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Armagonz 

As @johnrellis said no easy way to match WB.

You can get the same look by doing patient and perhaps painful  color correction  using the HSL Panel and Calibration + RGB curves + Masking even.

All of which must be done photo by photo, case by case.

Doable but not easy as John says.

Ultimately I think you will get consistent and better results with one of the most recent profiles.

If you have already shipped those images to clients then you loose nothing.at keeping them untouched.

If you need to deliver them then you will probably discover more pleasing results with the newer profiles.

I myself have revisited plenty of my images and re-developed with newer profiles, newer process versions...renamed and organised evey mask.

You will never get 100% the same look as with these old profiles but with minor tweaks to key areas (saturation, contrast, WB, Point Curve ) you can get very close to what you did, if not even get better results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Armagonz There is a mismatch

VC 5 has one

CameraProfile = "Adobe Standard",  

VC 3 has

CameraProfile = "Adobe Standard v2",

Both show you had applied Adobe Portrait.

I see in the history of VC 3 you applied  Preset : Polished Portrait" and  "Enhanced Clothes"

Those are of Adobe premium Presets.

Maybe those are messing up the profiles.

@johnrellis These are not DNG so seems a different issue than the one you mentioned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for looking at it.

Can you please double check that VC 5 has "Adobe Standard" and VC 3 has "Adobe Standard V2"? Because that would be unexpected, VC5 is the most recent one and I created to test the issues I am having, so I assume that VC5 would use the profile V2, while VC3 would use V1.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Armagonz 

Another issue, not connected to your but that but that you might want to be aware of.

In both photos you have empty masks.

Screenshot 2023-09-19 at 09.52.08.png

This happens because the Presets you used (I realize only now are Masking presets, not "look presets") there is a selection that was not detected: Facial Hair.

LrC keeps creating Empty Mask and leaves them there, even if it is aware they are empty which leaves us users to do the cleanup via right click and waste our time.

Screenshot 2023-09-19 at 09.56.08.png

To clean all empty Mask in batch you will need to use Auto Sync.

So use Any Filter plug-in by @johnrellis, search/filter photos with Empty Masks and delete them.

Maybe John can make a routine or a plug-in command that automatically clears Empty Masks form the selected photos without having to do all all these steps/workarounds.

Also last thing.

When one opens your catalog for the first time one can Undo and gets a "Undo Sync Smart Collection".

It seems there is a phantom event here that should not exist, smart collection sync should not be undoable or be part of the undo events.

This is yet another bug to report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, it seems to be that the more I use it the more bugs I runt into 😛 

Thank you for looking at this additional information. Indeed, I had noticed that some files now have empty masks but I did not pay attention to them. I asssumed they wouldn't harm my edits, should I remove them? what should be the concern with the empty masks?

I also noticed another "weird" behavior with the smart presets that I did not know how to explain. When applying some Smart Presets to pictures taken with my Z7 and initial edits before 2022, the colors in the image look diffent even though none of the masks affect any of the colors sliders (just like in the initial issue of this thread). So, based on the information provided by @johnrellis , I assume that some Smart Presets are automatically updating the Profile to the latest one, i.e. v2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Empty corrections and empty masks add to the clutter in the Masking list.

We already have zero management for the list (note how corrections are NOT in alphabetical order) so it's best to not have empty items.

Vital UI space needs to be reclaimed. 

• In 2022 you were probably working with Process version 5 which produced slightly different colors.

Now applying a Preset will automatically use Process Version 6

This is why the same preset applied at different points in time can look slightly different.

I would suggest to create your own Presets and not rely on  Adobe Premium Presets...they are mostly good for beginners.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your comments. I just keep thinking about the Adaptative Presets, because I want to include them in my workflow. They are a life saver for selections, I no longer have to spend a long time doing them, I can use the presets to make the selection for me, adjust the selection as needed and then adjust the settings to my need. They help me save a lot of time. Are there any alternatives to them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Armagonz

You can create your own Presets with any Ai mask you need.

E.g 

1. In one of your images  Create a Sky selection...it must have a sky.

2. Choose the settings you want (Contrast +100)

3. Rename as you wish/need.

4. Now save this as a custom Preset.

You will be able to reuse it as much as you need.

Same principle applies to all Ai masks: People, Background, Subject, etc...

You will find that your own custom presets are much better than Adobe's Premium ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines