Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question: DNG checksum creation.

Advocate ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a small question.

Is creation of the checksum within DNG possible for all DNGs?

To clarify by choosing the option "Update Preview and Metadata" I was indeed able to create within "Sigma DNG" the checksum for the validation.

I cannot yet test other brands that use DNG (Leica, Hasselblad, Pentax, Fujifilm, etc...) so I would like to have confirmation that the option would work with those DNG as well.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.dpbestflow.org/data-validation/dng-validation#adobe

https://jkost.com/blog/2013/08/dng-verification-in-lightroom-5.html

Note: Only DNG files created by Adobe software can be validated (camera-‐created DNGs cannot be validated because they do not contain the necessary checksum).

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TheDigitalDog 

So I did the test again.

Imported 2 Sigma DNG, no Metadata added on import.

Then Library > Validate DNG

I get this message:

DNG Validation.jpg

Then I used the option "Update DNG preview & Metadata" only on one of the two DNG.

Then again Library > Validate DNG

I get this now.

DNG Validation II.jpg

So I as i said in my OP I believe that one DNG now has the checksum while the other hasn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again: Only DNG files created by Adobe software can be validated (camera-‐created DNGs cannot be validated because they do not contain the necessary checksum).

Update metadata DNG isn't the same as converting to DNG using an Adobe conversion. You can try that. Or, again, it may be that camera DNGs can't be validated at all.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TheDigitalDog 

I used "Update DNG Preview & Metadata for all the DNGs I have.

I get this now:

DNG III.jpg

I am quite confused.

@Rikk Flohr: Photography 

Can you or anyone else at Adobe clarify this, 

Does the "Update DNG Preview & Metadata" create a checksum also for DNGs by camera manufacturers or not?

If after using "Update DNG Preview & Metadata" a checksum is not created then why performing a "Validate DNG" confirms that the existing DNG are valid!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's all been explained:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/metadata-basics-actions.html

If you’re working with a DNG file, choose Metadata > Update DNG Previews & Metadata to save metadata changes to the file and also generate a preview based on the current raw processing settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How do you explain the DNG Validation then?

If no checksum is created after "Update DNG Preview and Metadata" then why Lr says they are finally validated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines