• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Edit in Photoshop" setting not working properly

Participant ,
Apr 22, 2023 Apr 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the current version 12.3 one should be able to determine with which PS version LrC works together. I have installed the current Photoshop version as well as the beta version. Unfortunately, the beta version opens by default, unless I have already opened the regular PS version in the background.
So I was looking forward to this change. However, I must point out that in my installation the beta version does not appear in the drop-down list. See here:

photopoeth_1-1682162008173.png

All I have to choose from is the regular version. Nevertheless, the beta version of PS opens by default (as described above), unless the regular version is already open in the background....

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening or how to configure it correctly?

BR, Thomas

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Now it gets completely absurd: I tried what happens if I manually create another "Edit In" entry with the regular Photoshop. Surprise! When I select this entry, regular Photoshop actually opens. Very nice!

But that's not all: from this point on, all other entries like "open as layers in PS" or the new "open as smart object layers" also open in regular Photoshop (and not as before in the beta version). The dropdown list in the preferences still contains only one entry.
Now, in order to still be abl

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your preferences: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 23, 2023 Apr 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well... I am reluctant to this suggestion, because it says "your presets and plugins may be affected by this". I really don't want to reconfigure my Lrc installation if I can avoid it. Somehow I don't have the feeling that I should risk this effort, just because Adobe doesn't seem to have a grip on its configuration across all applications. 

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Johan is right; reset your preferences. 

Try resetting your Lightroom preferences:
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html
Also see: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/important-steps-for-manually-resetting-...

Quit Lightroom Classic.
macOS: Press and hold the Shift + Option keys.
Windows: Press and hold the Shift + Alt keys.
While holding down the keys, launch Lightroom Classic.
When asked, select "Yes". 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well... I am reluctant to this suggestion, because it says "your presets and plugins may be affected by this". I really don't want to reconfigure my Lrc installation if I can avoid it. Somehow I don't have the feeling that I should risk this effort, just because Adobe doesn't seem to have a grip on its configuration across all applications. 

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it.

By @photopoeth

Nothing drastic will happen to your presets or plugins. You may have to use 'Manage Presets' again to make certain groups visible or invisible, but you won't lose anything.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not an answer, but, If you are confident in editing the Windows registry you might find a clue to the problem in this help article-

EDIT IN Photoshop command missing

"Solution 2: Re-create the Photoshop.exe application path registry key."- Step#10 refers to the 'Path' to the (correct?) version of Photoshop that opens from LrC.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this. I tried, but it doesn't work. 😞 It seems as if (under Windows) the minute you install the Beta version, it becomes the systems standard to open Photoshop documents. Even when I manually change the path to PS 2023 instead of PS Beta, it doesn't help. Everytime teh Beata version opens as my system standard.

So I tried what happens if I deinstall PS-Beta. After that in LrC the "open in PS" option was completely missing. Luckily I had the option to make an update on Photoishop in the CC desktop app. After that the "open in PS" reappeared in LrC and everything worked fine.
The minute I reinstalled PS-Beta everything was like before: in the LrC settings dialog there's only one entry in the dropdown list named "Photoshop 2023" (see my first post above for the screenshot"). But when I chose "Edit in Photoshop" the image is opened in Photoshop Beta.
This is ridiculous...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My (non expert) thoughts are that the Photoshop Beta is still considered to be 'Photoshop 2023' (with modifications) and being the latest install it is linked to LrC as the primary Photoshop.

Have you tried setting up Photoshop 2023 as a Additional External Editor to give you a choice of Ps version?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now it gets completely absurd: I tried what happens if I manually create another "Edit In" entry with the regular Photoshop. Surprise! When I select this entry, regular Photoshop actually opens. Very nice!

But that's not all: from this point on, all other entries like "open as layers in PS" or the new "open as smart object layers" also open in regular Photoshop (and not as before in the beta version). The dropdown list in the preferences still contains only one entry.
Now, in order to still be able to use the beta as well if needed, I created another "edit in" entry with it. Of course with the fear that from now on only the beta will open by default again.

Turns out, that the last opened version (regular or beta) is always used as default. So you have to use the corresponding manually created entry once to set the default version.
I can live with that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 04, 2023 Jun 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having read through all the suggestions, it is my belief that this is only a Windows phenomena and nobody has mentioned that.  One piece of evidence is a Colin Smith video (using Mac) showed that in LR preferences under extrnal editing, the dropdown showed both "regular" PS and the Beta version so one could decide which they wanted LR to invoke.  If my assumption is correct, we can only wait for Adobe to fix it and not be so Mac oriented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue. I notifced that I can only select programmes to open with that are actually downloaded outside the Adobe cloud, so I guess thats whats going on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ouch! That would be embarassing for Adobe... very weird, indeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very likely not the case. See this: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-beta-bugs/p-lightroom-classic-gt-edit-in-ps-long-delay-erro...

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A temporary fix for Photoshop beta v 25 for Windows.

To set this up so both apps work in Adobe Lightroom preferences select as your second open as in preference go to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2023\ and select Photoshop.EXE.

1. To edit a file right click and select edit then click Photoshop.exe then close PS and it will save the file to Lightroom (my settings are set to save as a tiff file).
  2. Go to edit in again and click Photoshop 2024 (first choice for open in). This is the beta version, which will now open the file. Do your work and close.
  3. Go back to Lightroom and if you see a window saying that it could not open the file go to File Explorer and find the tiff file that you just saved and move it to a new location or rename it. If you do not Photoshop beta will overwrite it and remove your edits.
  4. If necessary, you can right click and synchronize the folders to get your file back in Lightroom and continue editing in Lightroom beta which now recognizes that file and will open it. Opening as layers does not work. Selecting more than one wile to open works.

We volunteer to let Adobe know what does and does not work on thousands of different computers. Our reports aid the engineers in fixing issues. Only those willing to risk things not working as expected should participate. People who rely on LR & PS for work should not risk beta testing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all ,

I need help and solutions as I cannot edit my photos from LR (version 12.4) to edit as smart object layers in Photoshop (version 24.7). I would apprecaite if someone can give some advice to solve this issue.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Jasmin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had PS 2023(24.7), PS2024(25) and LC (13) installed on Windows 11.

When I chose edit in LC, it only opens in PS 2023. So I uninstalled PS 24.7 and LC (pref remove).  

After I reinstalled LC, I can't choose Photoshop version at all. I can only choose it as "Additional External Editor".

gordon_pd_0-1698151959778.png

Now I lost all those edit PS features. What should I do?

Edit.jpg

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had PS 2023(24.7), PS2024(25) and LC (13) installed on Windows 11.

When I chose edit in LC, it only opens in PS 2023. So I uninstalled PS 24.7 and LC (pref remove).  

After I reinstalled LC, I can't choose Photoshop version at all. I can only choose it as "Additional External Editor".

Now I lost all those edit PS features. What should I do?

 

By @gordon_pd

I see that you are a new member, so existing knowledge on searching in these community pages is to be learned. So I will be nice.

Typically your issue indicates that you need to Use the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App to uninstall PS, probably both versions (why the old one at this point), then reinstall PS.

But, some members have the issue very bad, I think those with a Beta PS are often included in this group.  Extra copys (versions) of PS could also lead to additional isues, and a more complex fix is required (try the simple way. first, if that fails, try the complex way below):

• Close PS
  • Close LrC
  • Use the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App  to uninstall PS (both)
  • Use the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App to uninstall LrC
  • Restart the computer
  • DO NOT reinstall LrC just yet
  • Use the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App to install PS (just the new one, why have the old?
  • Use the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App to install LrC
  • Test

Be very aware that you must install PS before installing LrC in this fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines