• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"_" on the beginning of file name

Contributor ,
Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Canon 5D MkIII has the file name set to KBM_xxxx.  On import into Lightroom, the file name ends up _BM_xxxx.   I don't rename on import.  Seems like years ago, file names came in this way but now appears to be happening again.  Can someone explain it or tell me how to change it?    Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

This happens (by industry convention) for as long as a camera is set to save its JPGs under the AdobeRGB colourspace, rather than the more usual sRGB.

The first character is replaced with an underscore (by the camera).

The same naming convention is used for Raw photos, while the camera's set this way - even though that setting makes no practical difference to the Raw file itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this camera passed the 10k mark yet? If yes the camera will numbering system may revert or change?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens (by industry convention) for as long as a camera is set to save its JPGs under the AdobeRGB colourspace, rather than the more usual sRGB.

The first character is replaced with an underscore (by the camera).

The same naming convention is used for Raw photos, while the camera's set this way - even though that setting makes no practical difference to the Raw file itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Richard, that is what is happening.  I read an article recently that made me decide to switch to AdobeRGB color space rather than sRGB.  I just tried 2 shots.  One in AdobeRGB and the other in sRGB and then looked at the files in Finder.  The AdobeRGB file was _BM_xxxx while the sRGB file was KBM_xxxx.     Thanks for explaining it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the cameras file naming.

Also did you make any changes in the cameras menus recently? Specifically the color space. If I change the color space on my cameras from sRGB to ARGB it changes the file naming to add an underscore at the front of the file name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I've recently created a program that automatically corrects filenames (removes underscore etc. depending on the brand).

It requires java to run, but is portable so doesn't have to be installated, also it can be integrated into context (right click) menu.

Download and instructions are available on my github page: https://github.com/emermacko/adobeRGB-renamer

Hope it helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2023 Jan 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi can you help me getting your program to work?

Thanks!

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh hi, it's pretty old and I don't think it's worth the effort after all.

If you're in real need I can write you a new one:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you just need to remove underscores from filenames, you can use other applications to do it. For example, you can use the batch renaming feature in Adobe Bridge, or on your computer desktop if it can (macOS can).

But remember that the best time to do this is before importing into Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Richard! I had recently switched my Mark III to AdobeRGB for some video work... and this was driving me crazy why the file name was being modifed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines