• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"sync folder" completely over wrote my edited photos with the RAWS. Why?

Contributor ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I wanted to do was sync my edited photos to the cloud, so I could open them on my desktop. (I initially edited my photos on a laptop)

I edited them in lightroom Classic, and there was a cloud icon in the top right so I thought I synced using that. However over on my desktop I couldnt find the files I thought I'd synced. 

I went back and right clicked on the folder and cilcked sync folder, and it deleted all my edits and replaced them with the RAWs. I really wish this didn't happen to users without warning. 

I admit I don't understand about catalogs, folders, collections etc its all needlessly convoluted to me who only needs to edit pictures in folders, could someone explain because the website goes wayy off on a tangenty about syncing with lightroom CC and all that which I don't even use. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Synchronize Folder" has nothing to do with syncing to the cloud. What it does it compare the actual contents of the folder with what Lightroom Classic has in the catalog for that folder. If you click OK it will then import those files that are in this folder but not yet in the catalog and remove those files from the catalog that are no longer in the folder.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to get my edited files back?

Why couldn't I find my files on desktop when I synced to the cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

First understand that to 'Sync' photos from Lightroom-Classic 'up to' mobile versions of Lightroomn (including Lightroom-Desktop)- You need to add photos to Collections in the LrC Catalog, and specifically mark the Collections to 'Sync'.

SYNC SETUP IN CLASSIC

Proxy (smaller Smart Previews) are then synced up to the 'mobile' Lightroom.

Secondly, as stated by @JohanElzenga  'Synchronizing Folders' has no connection with syncing to the Cloud. It is important you should understand the options in the Folder Synchronization dialog.-

Dangers of Synchronize Folder

To restore your edits to your photos (that were wiped by the Folder Synchronization) you would need to restore from a Backup copy of the Catalog. It is possible to do a selective restore, by "exporting as a catalog" from the backup only the photos with the lost edits, then merge this selective restore with your working catalog.

RESTORE PARTIAL from backup catalog?

I hope these suggested links are helpful to you.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines