• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RAW+JPEG format imports for the same photo: how to manage and distinguish?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to dealing with RAW format and chose the option in my Leica to make both RAW (actually, RWL) and JPEG versions of the same photo, with the same file name but different suffixes. They imported into Lightroom Classic showing "RWL+JPEG" on one image with that shared filename.  In the Develop module, how do I know which version is being developed? Can you point me to a training document or tutorial for getting started in editing RAW images in Lightroom Classic?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

When you Import files to the Catalog, there is an option in the Preferences that controls the Import of RAW+JPG files.

1) This setting will only Import and show the (one) RAW image file in the Catalog- so in effect, you can only 'edit' the RAW.

2022-04-27 15_16_05-Preferences.jpg

2) This setting will Import AND SHOW BOTH (two) the Raw and the JPG in the Catalog. So you have two images to 'worry about'! Different possibilities- The RAW (with 16bit uncompressed, etc), and the 'limited' JPG (8bit, compressed, set WB, etc..)

2022-04-27 15_15_56-Preferences.jpg

You

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

In the Library you can filter for different file types, as soon as you then switch to Develop modul you see only these files.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-27 um 07.48.44 GMT+2.png

In the Development modul you can see the current file name, then you know if you work on JPG or RAW.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-27 um 07.50.02 GMT+2.png

There are many different opinions about the right workflow on RAW development, please check YouTube.

Search for "lightroom classic raw development"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwVEbEpGTkY

Ralf

I use Lightroom Classic (LrC 11.3.1) / Photoshop (Ps 23.3.1) / Lightroom (Lr 5.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you Import files to the Catalog, there is an option in the Preferences that controls the Import of RAW+JPG files.

1) This setting will only Import and show the (one) RAW image file in the Catalog- so in effect, you can only 'edit' the RAW.

2022-04-27 15_16_05-Preferences.jpg

2) This setting will Import AND SHOW BOTH (two) the Raw and the JPG in the Catalog. So you have two images to 'worry about'! Different possibilities- The RAW (with 16bit uncompressed, etc), and the 'limited' JPG (8bit, compressed, set WB, etc..)

2022-04-27 15_15_56-Preferences.jpg

You can change this option in the Preferences, but it will only affect future Imports. After changing the Preference to "Treat as separate" you can Import the (not showing) JPGs using [ADD] in the Import, or do a Folder Synchronize which will add the JPGs to the folder of RAWs.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In the Library you can filter for different file types, as soon as you then switch to Develop modul you see only these files.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-27 um 07.48.44 GMT+2.png

In the Development modul you can see the current file name, then you know if you work on JPG or RAW.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-27 um 07.50.02 GMT+2.png

There are many different opinions about the right workflow on RAW development, please check YouTube.

Search for "lightroom classic raw development"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwVEbEpGTkY

Ralf

I use Lightroom Classic (LrC 11.3.1) / Photoshop (Ps 23.3.1) / Lightroom (Lr 5.3) with Creative Cloud on a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017, Intel Core i7 / 16GB / 500GB SSD) with macOS Monterey Version 12.3.1

Cameras: Canon 5D Mark IV and Canon PowerShot SX720 HS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines