• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reference view displaying low res image

Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run LR Classic 11.2 and Camera Raw 14.2 on Windows 10.

I shoot RAW, format is Olympus ORF.

Issue: When using the Refence View, quite often a low resolution/low quality preview image is displayed instead of a high resolution. This is annoying as I have to wait a few seconds until LR has decided what to display the Reference View. This is annoying and becomes time consuming.

Remedy: I have to "Set as reference" repeatedly until the image in the Reference View is displayed with the expected high resolution. Usually it cures the rendering at the first attempt, sometimes not...

Refer to attached screenshot of LR window with a side by side comparison of Reference and Active windows of the same photo at 100% scaling.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested this and can't replicate the issue. When I place an image in the Reference frame there is a slight delay that lasts a couple of seconds but then both views are clear and sharp.

Is it only this image? It shouldn't matter but what are you using for preview, Standard, 1:1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I can replicate the issue.

Hi,

I experience a slight delay too, perhaps a second or so until the photo is rendered with all the details down to pixel level, which is OK and also considering it takes some calculations for the app to interpret the contents of the file and render it. 

It may on any photo that I open in the reference view, however not all the time. Likelihood is maybe one time out of three. I always use the Reference view in 100% in order to select the sharpest photos in side-by-side comparison. 

Best Regards,

Tord Anndreasson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Do you have any progress to report on this issue?

Best Regards

Tord Andreasson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried this on a few images and can reproduce it occasionally, and suspect it is because the image has not got recent standard and 1:1 previews available, or they might be on a slower disk drive. I suggest discarding the 1:1 previews of a range of images and recreating them. And maybe create new standard previews too. Note that if you make adjustments to an image its previews are no longer up-to-date and if speed is important then recreate them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I don't understand what you mean with "image has not got recent standard". 

When use Library->Smart preview->Create 1:1 preview, LR says that the previews are already up to date. 

The LR catalog is stored on a SSD. 

Best Regards

Tord Andreasson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wrong to send you off on preview settings -sorry, since as  DdeGannes  explains below, they are used in the Library module, and since you are talking about Reference view, this is the Develop module.  So the only previews that are relevant in Develop are the Smart Previews but only in special circumtances: if the original file is unavailable or if you have set them to be used in the Preferences under the Performance tab to improve speed.

So back to the speed issue - see below again, but there are internal SSDs and SSDs, and if it's external then this will be slower. And since in Develop the preview is using CPU, its speed will also be an issue. The link below has good ideas on how to improve performance and its links are good too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2022 Feb 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wondered if the Reference view of the image is in fact behaving as if it is the Develop image so did some more tests, and this changes my thinking:

The Reference image view acts more like an image displayed in the Library module (eg Loupe view). I tested this by going to a group of images I had not touched for many months (ie so not in the cache), deleted their previews, then took one into Develop at 100% and then referenced the same image at 100% - took several seconds to display correctly. I repeated this on other images.  Then I went to another group and created 1:1 and smart previews and repeated the Develop - Reference view and these displayed essentially instantly.  So it would be interesting to see if this helps you too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you are working in the Develop Module Lightroom is not displaying from the prebuilt previews it re-renders the RAW file data and creates the display of the before and after.

Increase your Camera Raw Cache, this is what is used when rendering in Develop Module.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/quick-tips-optimize-lrc-preferences-for...

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Denis,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have increased the Camera RAW cache to 10 GB (it was 5 GB before), checked the option to Use Smart Previews instead of Originals for image editing (it was unchecked) and also unchecked the option to Generate Previews in parallel (it was checked). I also have made sure the catalog is optimized. I do that quite often, take backups on weekly basis or even more often.

Did this help? Well, not exactly. Let me try to describe it. 

When reviewing photos at 100% scale:

• When I left-click a thumbnail
    - in that vast majority of cases the photo is rendered in the Active window with the expected level of fine detail. It takes a second or so, which is OK.
    - In rare occasions, the photo is rendered in lower resolution. To remedy that I have to move the photo or zoom it out and in then the photo will be rendered in high resolution. 
  • When I drag a thumbnail to the Reference window, or right-click and Set as Reference then the Reference window either:
    - displays a high res photo after a second or so, same behavior as Active window
    - displays a low resolution photo and stays there
    - (less often) displays a low resolution photo and then after a while, maybe 10 seconds or so, displays a high res photo without me doing anything more to trigger that.

To force a rendering in high res I have to move/zoom in/out the photo in the Reference window. I can also try to Set as Reference again. Sometimes I had to repeat this to force the high res rendering.

The comment regarding the drive performance is not relevant. It's an internal drive and the computer is a fairly recent desktop, all other functionality in LR performs to my satisfaction wrt performance. Same for other apps. 

Best Regards

Tord Andreasson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this always been the case (when using Refence View) or did you just notice this after updating LrC? If it is a new problem specific to this version and it is annoying and interrupting your workflow you could uninstall and roll back to the previous version. Not an elegant solution but it will solve the problem so you can continue your work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have not been using the Reference View functionality until last year, that is after I upgraded my system with a much more powerful CPU and GPU. With LR running at high performance I was hoping that this functionality would allow me to benefit from this feature in my workflow and make full use the high frame rate that my new camera delivers. What I remember is that I noticed the issue sometime back in November 2021 after I started using the camera with high FPS and as a result got so many more frames to review.

The issue is not critical as there is a workaround, but it's annoying and stealing time. Therefore I reported it. I have recorded the screen if you are interested in seeing how it looks. Has nobody else run across this?

Best Regards,

Tord Andreasson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please upload the video. I do see a slight delay - it is not impactful to my workflow in any material way. By the time I recognize it, it comes into sharp focus. Even if it didn't I only use Reference View for color grading not for checking which image has the best focus. For that I use the Survey mode or the navigator at max zoom level (that is very fast on my M1 mbp).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Here is the video. I recorded the session using Xbox game recording. My screen has 4k resolution but the somehow recording I get is HD (1920 x 1052), still the resolution and the level of detail is should be good enough to demonstrate. 

Here is the approximate timeline (MM:SS)

00:00 - 00:05: Intro. I have prepared 2 photos of the same subject. 

00:05 - 00:15: Display each of the photos at 100%. As you can see both photos are sharp, lots of detail and LR displays down to the pixel level. 

00:15- 00:20: Photo 1 is set as Active.

00:20- 00:27: The same Photo 1 is also set as Reference and aligned with the Active window to ease comparison. The level of detail in Reference is the same as the Active window.

00:28- 00:40 Photo 2 is dragged to the Reference window. The level of detail in Reference is less than Active, photo appears soft, fine details are missing. In this demo I wait about 12 seconds without any improvement taking place; I could have waited a much longer time without anything happening, but I needed to comply to the maximum size of attachments which is 47 MB)

00:41 - 00:51: Reference View (showing Photo 2) is zoomed out to "Fit" then back to 100% and realigned with Active view. Now the Reference view is rendered with the same level of detail as Active view.

This demonstrates the issue. Let me know if any piece of information is missing.

Best Regards

Tord Andreasson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tested this with and without GPU processor off and on? I am having trouble clearly seeing the problem. Hopefully others will chime in after watching your video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have. When looking at the HD video on my 4k screen I clearly see the difference. In LR the difference is vast.

If you have a suggestion how to get 4k video recording of the screen I could try to share that - pending the file complies to the 47 MB limit, risk it will have to be very short 😉 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again.

My bad, I thought I had turned off but that was not the case. I found out that if I turn the GPU off it seems the issue seems to be gone (i.e. reference window has now the ame detail as active window) however it now takes several seconds for LR to display the photo in full resolution. So that's not a step forward... 

Attached file with system information. The GPU is Nvidia RTX 2060.

Best Regards

Tord

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2022 Feb 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your graphics driver needs updating. After updating, try to turn the GPU back on.

Make sure to install the Studio driver, not the Game ready driver.

Studio drivers are more thoroughly tested, and better suited for image editing.

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/186770/en-us

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have updated the driver as per the link you shared, turned GPU back to "Auto" (there is no "On"), restarted LR, restarted the computer. Still I get the same behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Even though I updated the GPU driver to the latest it seems that we are stuck. Is there any more information I can supply to ease finding out what could be the reason for this behavior?

Best Regards,

Tord Andreasson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2022 Jun 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,

I have checked the behavior on another Windows 10 computer; an ASUS VivoBook laptop with AMD Ryzen 7 3700 with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx and the behavior is the same. So it seems the issue is not caused by the device.

Do you have any updates on this issue?

I am using LR Classic version 11.3.1

Best Regards

Tord Andreasson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar problem. Working on a shoot with some very deep blacks and the reference photo is rendering shadows with some funky colors and weird flattening. See attached screenshot. I'm using LR Classic 12.1 on Mac OS Monterey (12.6). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case, the issue is still there regardless of the photo displayed as a reference. Adobe LR Classic is now on version 12.1 and Camera RAW is version 15.1. And my GPU drivers are updated.

It's rather annoying as it makes the workflow so much slower... I haven't heard anything on this subject since the last reply one year ago. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2023 Dec 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Im also having this issue, see below. It does not seem to resolve even after waiting several minutes.

Win 11/RTX 3060ti/546.01 NVIDIA Driver/Lightroom Classic 13.0.1

Left side is pixelated, right side is down to pixel level

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines