• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Renaming a folder doesn't update folders panel

Participant ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was doing some clean-up in LrC and renamed a folder within LrC.  As soon as I accepted the name change a ? appeared next to the folder and all of the photos inside the folder were now considered missing.  I confirmed that the files were still in the original location.

Here are the steps I followed:

1.  Right click on the folder and select Rename Folder from LrC pop up menu
  2. Add the word Soccer to the name of the folder (See below snip)

Expected Result

New folder name with files shown and LrC aware of the file locations

Details:

M1 iMac running MacOS Ventura 13.0.1

LrC version 12.0.1

The snip below shows the folder structure in LrC with the ? and the Finder window shows that the folder and files exist.

Mike42809_0-1670862126605.png

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

I'm wondering if the TOP SECRET method (shhhh!)(don't tell anyone) of shutting down LrC and then re-opening it will make the problem go away.

I'm also wondering if the DOUBLE TOP SECRET method of using your operating system to rename the folder to Amy Soccer - Rider Univ1 and then using your operating system un-renaming it will make the problem go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

<moved from using the community>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought it belonged in the bugs community since I think it's a bug?  Do these go in the community for the respective products?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry, that's where i thought i'd moved it.  (but apparently not.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not able to reproduce this following the OP's steps.  Name updates immediately in LrC and Finder. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something went wrong, at any rate see:

https://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

probably in part 2, update folder location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LrC still isn't resolving the new name or the files.  I tried manually locating the file and received the below error message.  I was going to change the folder name back to the original but LrC won't let me do that.

I did follow the link you included, thank you, and see the warning about renaming.   I'll keep that in mind going forward.

Mike42809_0-1670867882752.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is beginning to look like catalog corruption. Do you have a recent catalog backup from just before this happened? If so, replace your catalog by this backup copy and see if that solves the problem.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have backups that I can revert to.  

Before I do that though, I have a question.  As I mentioned, I was doing some file/folder cleanup between NAS drives.  I had moved photos from one NAS drive into new folders on this NAS drive.  What happens when I restore a prior catalog from backup?

Thanks.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you restore a catalog, Lightroom will go back to whatever catalog state it was before the backup. That means that recent changes will be lost and if you have moved a bunch of files/folders, you may see the same issue for other folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I was anticipating.  That said, can I simply recreate the folders/structure from the Mac Finder so the files are where LrC thinks they should be and things will be ok?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can give it a try, Lightroom allows you to relink folders if things get out of sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if the TOP SECRET method (shhhh!)(don't tell anyone) of shutting down LrC and then re-opening it will make the problem go away.

I'm also wondering if the DOUBLE TOP SECRET method of using your operating system to rename the folder to Amy Soccer - Rider Univ1 and then using your operating system un-renaming it will make the problem go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DJ, there is a reason you are a Legend.  Shutting LrC down and re-opening it resolved the problem.  

Thank you!

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

DJ, there is a reason you are a Legend.  Shutting LrC down and re-opening it resolved the problem.  

Thank you!

Mike

By @Mike42809

Shhh! Don't tell anyone!! It's TOP SECRET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines