Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Repeated corrupt catalog in Lightroom Classic

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2022 Oct 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Not exactly sure when this started, but perhaps a year ago or so, every so often when I would reopen lightroom classic after a while and the below message would pop up.

Dale26618286ueiu_0-1665894316843.png

The repair catalog process would not work and then lead me to the next pop up window as per below:

Dale26618286ueiu_1-1665894336508.png

The try again would never result in a fix, so I would dig up a backed up catalog from my backups and open that and things would be fine.

But eventually this would happen again and again, first it only occured once a month or so, but since then the frequency of occurance has increased, to the point where it was every time I reopened lightroom.

I did some browsing on the support pages but could never find a solution that I had not already tried or had the same issue as I did.

I do have a large catalog, with a few years of images - not good practice I know - so I thought perhaps that could be contributing to the issue. I created a brand new catalog and things seemed to be running fine on that but just topday I went to open lioghtroom and again have a corrupt catalog.

Not really sure what to try next. If I can't find a fix for it then I will have to cancel my adobe subscription, since it is no longer useable, and has really affected my motivation to shoot & edit photos.  

Any assitance would be much appreciated!

Dale

[moved from bugs to discussions space - mod.]

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One single large catalog is the recommended way to work, at least to many of us.

Can you tell us more about your gear? Where is the catalog stored?

Frequent catalog integrity issues are usually based on hardware/drive problems.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems simpler to use a single catalog, but i've been told its not good... anyway
I have a fairly new SSD hard drive. The laptop is a 2018 model but I updated the hard drive with a new one in 2020. I suppose they're both getting on a little bit.

I ran this in the comand prompt 

Dale26618286ueiu_0-1665981016769.png

Catalog is stored in default location under pictures.

Dale26618286ueiu_1-1665981127016.png

How do you do a deep diagnostic? @dj_paige 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't done one in about 10 years now, so I don't really know. Go to your favorite search engine. I found this: https://www.lifewire.com/free-hard-drive-testing-programs-2626183

Age of your harddisk is somewhat irrelevant, hardware can malfunction at any time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To start "not very deep" you can use chkdsk with appropriate parameters.

I'd also check for and download a SSD specific tool from the manufacturer of your SSD and use this to analyze.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreeing with @F. McLion — repeated catalog corruption is almost always a hard disk malfunction. Run deep diagnostics on your hard disk. Try placing the catalog file on a different disk and see if the problem goes away. Try replacing the hard disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines