• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Secondary Display

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to use Apple Sidecar with my Macbook Pro and iPad Pro. Both of the devices meet the requirements to use this and my Lightroom Classic is fully updated. Every support I go to says that it should say "Secondary Display" in the Window tab and it does not say this in any of my tabs on the top after searching every spot. I also found two shortcuts, F11 and CMD+J and each time I hit these my computer makes the error noise and if this is not a shortcut for anything. 

Is it possible for me to simply put the photo I am editing onto the display of my iPad and to then edit from my keyboard on my Macbook? I just want to have the picture on it's own bigger screen while I edit this. Not sure if I possibly have something locked that is preventing me from doing this, thanks for the help. 

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should work, I use Lightroom Classic that way when away from my desk, like at a coffee shop or airport. The iPad makes a great secondary display for a Mac.

Important thing #1: Have you first confirmed that Sidecar works in general (outside of Lightroom Classic), like with the Mac desktop and other Mac applications? In Extended mode, not Mirrored mode? Because if that’s true, there should be nothing preventing Lightroom Classic from working with Sidecar.

Important thing #2: Have you also confirmed that Secondary Display in Lightroom Classic is working on its own, with a different display or even on your MacBook Pro without Sidecar? If you enable Secondary Display when you have only one display like the one on your laptop, then Secondary Display should appear as a second floating window.

If you get those two pieces right — understanding how secondary displays work on macOS (independent of and also using Sidecar), and separately understanding how the secondary display works in Lightroom Classic, then it should work properly.

@default5x7umxv0x4wd wrote:

Is it possible for me to simply put the photo I am editing onto the display of my iPad and to then edit from my keyboard on my Macbook? I just want to have the picture on it's own bigger screen while I edit this. Not sure if I possibly have something locked that is preventing me from doing this, thanks for the help. 

This is a slightly different angle on the question that is not specifically related to the iPad/Sidecar, it’s something that is true about using a secondary display on any Mac or Windows computer: The Develop module and its edit controls must always be on the primary display (main window) and cannot be moved to the Secondary Display window, so if you wanted to edit through Sidecar using Lightroom Classic with the image on the iPad Pro, you can either:

• Drag the Lightroom Classic primary application window to the iPad Pro using Sidecar, and just edit on that. This is the method you would use if you want to keep Lightroom Classic off the MacBook Pro display, to free it up for other applications.
  • Keep the Lightroom Classic primary application window on the MacBook Pro display, and open the Secondary Display on the iPad Pro set to Loupe view. This is the method you would use if you want the image large on the iPad Pro. However, the image would also be large on the MacBook Pro, where you have it open in the Develop module and where the Develop edit controls would be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
@default5x7umxv0x4wd wrote:

Every support I go to says that it should say "Secondary Display" in the Window tab and it does not say this in any of my tabs on the top after searching every spot.

If the Secondary Display and standard Lightroom Classic shortcuts are completely missing, can you confirm that you are using Lightroom Classic, and not Lightroom? Because if it’s only Lightroom (the cloud-based version), it won’t support multiple displays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines