• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Should I convert all these Previous process photos to current process?

Engaged ,
13 hours ago 13 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So out of 215,000 photos 175,000 are listed as previous process version, is there any performance penalty for not updating these ?.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , 13 hours ago 13 hours ago

There is no performance penalty for not updating.

My suggestion would be to only update photos that you see can benefit from a newer process version – or if you specifically want to use features from the latest process version.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no performance penalty for not updating.

My suggestion would be to only update photos that you see can benefit from a newer process version – or if you specifically want to use features from the latest process version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Per. I'll leave them as they are then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
12 hours ago 12 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be aware, updating an image to a slightly newer process version can make a subtle difference, and updating to a much newer process version can make a very noticeable difference, to its appearance.

Further corrective editing is often required to become (at worst) equally happy / (at best) more happy with the results. If you made very strong and specific reliance on some much older process adjustments, such as Fill Light, it may be that exactly the same character of editing cannot now be duplicated. But in my experience something at least as nice can always be achieved quite rap[idly. It's just a matter of whether the effort of doing that at all, is justified.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
11 hours ago 11 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree that there’s no reason to update them all right now. I tend to update the Process Version only for old photos I want to re-edit and improve using newer features.

And that leads to something you might keep in mind. The Develop panel had different, fewer features in old Process Versions, so a question that gets posted here sometimes is “How come Lightroom Classic isn’t showing me the [some cool feature they read about]?” The answer often is “Check the Process Version of the image and update it if necessary.”

So if one day in the future you’re puzzled because you want to use an option and it’s missing, see if that image’s Process Version needs to be updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines