Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Some Preset Questions

Engaged ,
May 27, 2024 May 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on LR Classic 2024

1. Is there some way to change the names of every preset, and have them display with the new names within the Preset Panel? I changed the names of the preset files on my computer, though it does not seem to affect how it displays within the program. I do know what to have to rename each infdividual preset file within Lightroom.

2.  Sometimes I want to click on a preset to see how it will look and then I want to try a different look. When selecting a preset, do you need to undo it before adding a different preset OR does Lightroom automatically remove the effects from the prior preset before adding the new one?

Thank you

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Point 1:

Do a right click on the appropriate preset and the click on "Rename".

AxelMatt_0-1716830196690.png

Point 2:

... When selecting a preset, do you need to undo it before adding a different preset OR does Lightroom automatically remove the effects from the prior preset before adding the new one?

By @media kat

This depends on which settings are change in the preset. If you have marked all option the older settings were overwritten.

But if you have select only a few options, for ex. "Exposure" and "Color Grading", only these settings are changed. All others remains as they are.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.3.1 - Photoshop 25.9.1 - Nik Collection 7 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz PhotoAI 3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I know you can use the "Rename" option to rename the files inside of LR, however, I have lots of presets and do not want to do it this way. on n individual name basis. I am trying to figure out if there is a way to do a batch file rename within the file folders before instlaling them on Mac OS to save time. I tried changing the names of the files, though it did not change how they are displayed in the Preset Panel.

2. What did you mean by "This depends on which settings are change in the preset. "

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each preset is an xmp file, and the name is a line in each file's code, as here:

johnbeardsworth_0-1716835052972.png

You could probably use some text editor to do a bulk text replacement. I don't think it would be much fun.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could probably do a batch name change by just searching the file names of all the .xmp files and replacing them. Are there any issues at all with making changes to the text in these files?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As I said, the name is in the code. You'd probably have to change the code, not just the file name, and a text editor would be needed to do that. Experiment with a couple of files, doing it manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What did you mean by "This depends on which settings are change in the preset. "

By @media kat

That is explained in the rest of that paragraph. If you save a preset, you check which settings it will change. Applying a another preset after you've aplied this preset will only affect these settings if that other preset changes the same settings.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines