Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Storing RAF files to external drive

Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2023 Feb 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got a slightly annoying problem here.

So I've inherited a Fuji XT3 - I normally shoot with Nikon and have NO issues but I seem to have created one.

I went out shooting with both and completed the shoot, came home, downloaded into LRC did my edits and then have moved all files to an external drive (to leave room on the HD).  Normally no problems but the RAF files have given me a headache and its an odd one!

So when I locate the "missing file" in LRC its normally on my external drive (NEF files normally) and I can then find the appropriate folder and "find all missing photos" and all missing photos are instantly found but because I've mixed the RAF files with the NEF files in a folder, LRC doesn't want to play nice and "find all missing photos" despite the fact that this option is ticked.

So I am doing one at a time.  With 900 photos this is......... Nuts.

What on earth have I missed here?  I've unchecked the box and rechecked it and closed down LRC and reopened LRC but not luck.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, outside of LrC you moved all the photos in one particular folder, apparently on a internal hard drive, to another folder, on an external hard drive? Basically moved from folder (A) to folder (B)?

In LrC save your shelf a lot if work, do not go relocating the photos, instead go directly to updating the folder location.

https://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

By the way, for Fuji X RAF, do not let LrC dictate initial sharpness, return that slider to 0. Sharpen at the end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No so outside of LRC I've moved to an external (not that it matters I suppose!) drive.  So yes moved from folder to folder.  But LRC will not "find all missing files"..

In the meantime I've downloaded a Windows APP for the RAF images and that has updated all info that was previously missing on the RAF images and then have gone back to successfully "find all missing files".

But the NEF images are just not behaving and it is just this one shoot from the previous Saturday.

Can you elaborate what you mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what the solutions is, but in the future — eliminate the move. Import onto the external drive straight out of the camera. Do NOT import to the internal drive, edit, and then move to the external drive. Make your workflow easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Very good point that and in the future I will import directly to external.

That makes sense...!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the Folders panel in LR to see if there are missing folders. If there are, fix those first. LR knows the difference between missing files and files in missing folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I move RAF files regularly and have no issues reconnecting them. I do generally import to an external drive, but occasionally, I import to the main drive. To move I prefer to copy to the new location, then use Update Folder Location as @GoldingD suggests. When I've confirmed the files are in place and intact, I delete the original folder. Just being cautious. There's no need to using Find Missing Files in a folder move. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the RAF and the NEF, before you moved them, did you have them in the same folder, or two separate folders? When you moved them, was that to the same folder or two separate folders?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They were in the same folder before I moved them over to the external drive.

I've now managed to solve the RAF files but the NEF files are refusing to be "found" en masse..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines