• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Surface Pro X/ARM compatibility

Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just ordered the new Surface Pro X and am wondering if the new Lightroom CC or Classic can be compatible with the new ARM processor? Apparently it currently requires 32 bit version, but on my fresh installations of all my Adobe Cloud apps on my desktop I only have 64 bit executables.. Will CC or CLassic install a 32 bit version on the Surface Pro X if I attempt to install them? 

FYI I did search the forums and there is a discussion on ARM based Photoshop but nothing on LRCC or Classic specifically. I also understand that there are some performance limitations IF it does install, and that Adobe is working on ARM specific compatibility. I'm looking for an interim solution to run LR on the Surface Pro X.... Thanks,

Chris

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2020 Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no 32-Bit Versions of either LR Classic nor LR.

Unfortunately, you will currently not find a way to use most of the Adobe Apps on a ARM based device like the one you got.

AFAIK, Adobe plans to release such versions. However, there is no timeline available.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/system-requirements.html

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah that's a bummer, thank you for your insight McLion... Will be fun to watch which developer jumps on this compatibility first. Maybe Capture One or Affinity can beat Adobe to it... No one will be watching closer than me, as I can't wait to get the Surface Pro X working on the road.

Chris

instagram.com/imagineimagery

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another impressive one to observe is Luminar: https://skylum.com

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This article from November 5, 2019 says, "Microsoft says that Adobe is committed to creating 64-bit ARM versions of its Creative Cloud apps, but there’s no timeline for when that’ll happen."

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/5/20948092/microsoft-surface-pro-x-review-arm-windows-10-apps-featu...

Adobe almost never comments on detailed product plans.

Microsoft provides an emulator for 32-bit Intel binaries on the Surface Pro X, running them somewht slowly, but not for 64-bit binaries. As F McLion said, there are no 32-bit versions of LR, unfortunately.

You could add your constructive opinion to this feature request in the official Adobe feedback forum:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom-classic-or-cc-on-new-arm-processor

Adobe product developers read everything there but rarely participate here (primarily a user-to-user forum).

[Use the reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest Insider Preview versions of Windows support x64/AMD64 emulation. However, the Creative Cloud desktop app won't display Lightroom CC and other apps as options to install. Is there any way around this? Or will Adobe be updating the CC app to let you install x64 apps when running a version of Windows that supports this functionality?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Err, thanks, but that doesn't answer the question at all.

Adobe should make the installers for all apps available to ARM devices to use via emulation. The native ARM64 versions are great when they're available, but so far that only covers Lightroom (not Classic) and the Photoshop beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you should ask Microsoft to fix their emulator.  Apparently it doesn't work well enough to run mainstream applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why you're being a jerk. The emulation works great and runs virtually everything. Adobe simply needs to make the installers available so you can install the x64 versions of the apps on ARM64 devices. They previously hid them because in the past the Windows x86 emulation/translation only supported 32-bit x86 apps. But now it supports 64-bit (x64) apps. So the ask is for Adobe to make the installers available for people running ARM64 devices with versions of Windows that support x64 emulation/translation.

Next time try reading the post before replying, and lose the attitude.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree with you. The problem here is not the emulator but the fact that Creative Cloud recognizes that the Pro X is an ARM devices and therefore does not display the 64 apps. For example, the 64-bit adobe XD app RUNS perfectly on my Surface Pro X. It was acquired through an illegal installer. There I would be great, for the time-being, that the creative cloud app ALSO displays the 64 bit. This could be done with a warning, just like for mac with the M1 chip. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I suggest you submit your query on the forum monitored by Adobe Dev and QE staff https://feedback.photoshop.com/topics/lightroom-classic/5f5f2093785c1f1e6cc40872

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, the processor involved is 32-bit?

Running 64-bit apps requires an Emulator?

Except for Lr (cloudy) and maybe very new PS, the other Adobe apps fail?

Why, in 2020, much less 2021 would I want a 32-bit CPU?

Sounds like Microsoft scammed you and took your money. Sorry, not being a jerk, just a hard truth. IMO

Note, it appears the non ARM MS Surface products are also not what I would purchase with any post processing software in mind. Be that Adobe, DxO, On1, Skylum, Topaz. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines