Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Syncing AI masks

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm trying to sync my adjustments across a group of shots that I plan to use to create a timelapse.

I can't find a way to copy some of the masks, notably the sky selection. I see a warning that these need to be "recomputed" but don't see how to go about this.

I'm using the most recent version of LR Classic on a Macbook Pro

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the images that you have synced to, an Update button shows in the masking panel for any AI based selection layers that have been transferred. Once that is recomputed it becomes active. Clearly depending on variations e.g. of lighting between the shots, even if the content is otherwise static, a slightly varying AI Sky selection may unpredictably result per image, and that could be detrimental to your overall timelapse.

So a brushed mask may be worth considering instead, again assuming everything (subject, camera framing) is fully static and steady. That only has to be done once, and could be synced to other photos for identical results with no recalculation issue. The "large radius dab" method of using brush Automask, would be helpful in building that manual sky selection IMO. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Richard, that is very helpful info. 

I’m probably being a bit dim but I can’t see away to update the masks across the whole batch of images. I can only do it one at a time. I’ve got about 1000 images in the sequence! 
I think you are right in that brush mask selections are probably a better idea in future. I’d like to try and see how this works though if there is a way of updating across the sequence rather than having to do each one individually. 
Thanks again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a design limitation of the current mask feature that means you can only only update one image at a time. However, as you can see in Adobe response to belowlinked thread, it's planned to support syncing more.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-masking-add-auto-update-recompute-to-subjec...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for that Ian. Good to know. Think I need to find an edit process that works with the limits of syncing function. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines