• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

System Upgrade as keeps crashing

Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure this question has been asked a millions times, but technology moves on.

My wife is giving me it in the ear because her LR keeps freezing and eventually needs a hard reset of the PC. I don't really understand what causes this so hard to know what we need to invest in

She currently has windows 10 PC, i7-8700 3.7GHz porcess, 32Gb RAM, Nvidia GTX 1070 6GB dispaly adapter, 500GB SSD (programs including LR catalogue) and 4TB HD (all photos stored on here). This was a pretty high spec 4 years ago. Machine says it can't be upgraded to Windows 11 as no TPM 2.0, but havent had a dig in the BIOS. No idea if Win11 has better memory mangement

Her workflow is to import directly to LR (Olympus OM-1 file around 25Mb), for top images exported as TIFFs (150Mb) to Topaz and then into PS for final adjustments. Don't think any of thisis particularly unsual.  Around 40,000 images or 3TB on the HD

So the question what are the critical components if you are going to throw the kitchen sink at it?  Is it graphics card that causes the freezing and if so what spec do I need?  Is it having a msassive SSD so photos are stored on the main drive with the catalogue (or possible store current photos on SSD, older photos on HD and move them across when bulk of editing is complete)?   The processor and RAM should be enough, but often the memory usage in task manger shoots ot 100% and sticks there.   HD is probably 5 years old, but any point buying new one? 

Any advice appreciated as my ears are burning!!!!

Mike

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Freeezing and then hard reset is almost always a driver problem or a hardware malfunction. You need to re-install all drivers. You need to run deep diagnostics on all of your hardware, and also make sure the cooling system is working properly and the computer is not overheating.

If you were experiencing slowness, then new/better hardware could be a solution (although there could be other solutions as well). But that's not the symptom you report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty much everything @dj_paige said. Also checking to see how full your drives are as not having sufficient drive space and cause performance issues. Windows 10 should be fine. You may have TPM 2.0 but if it's not turned on in BIOS, windows won't update to 11 either.

My order of operations would be:

Check disk space - if full, look at getting a larger disk or additional disk.

Make sure you have latest windows updates

Update drivers - especially chipset and graphics at minimum

Let us know if you have issues after that and we can continue to troubleshoot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

all extremely useful. I am pretty surprised it deosnt run well on this spec so as you say maybe its not the hardware.  I'll runt through your suggestions thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

all extremely useful. I am pretty surprised it deosnt run well on this spec so as you say maybe its not the hardware.  I'll runt through your suggestions thanks 

By @masplin

And maybe it is the hardware, maybe the hardware is malfunctioning. Do not ignore this potential cause of these symptoms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris

What other drivers are worth checking apart from chipset and graphics?

Thanks

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike!

Sorry about the slow reply here - was traveling. Where you able to update your graphics drivers successfully? You mentioned that you have a 1070 in your post above but you system specs show a 1060. Just want to verify you are getting the correct drivers for your card. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes updated the graphics driver as advised below. Caught up with work so havent got round ot chipset yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Gtocha. I feel ya on that! Let us know and we're around when you are ready.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For reference, I run LR on a 2015 iMac, quite a bit lower specs, over 350,000 images all on spinning hard drives, my primary camera is a 50MP Canon 5Dsr, and can't recall it ever locking up unless there was a power outage. So as the previous posters have said, look at driver issues. We see that constantly with Windows. Turn off GPU to see if that fixes the problem- if so, update your driver software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

And run a Memory check.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that memory check when you boot up? Thanks

Lightroom Classic version: 11.4.1 [ 202206241800-b406ce4c ]

License: Creative Cloud

Language setting: en

Operating system: Windows 10 - Home Premium Edition

Version: 10.0.19044

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 12

Processor speed: 3.6GHz

SqLite Version: 3.36.0

Built-in memory: 32698.0 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 32698.0 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 3959.4 MB (12.1%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 10088.7 MB

GDI objects count: 1334

USER objects count: 3467

Process handles count: 4887

Memory cache size: 0.0MB

Internal Camera Raw version: 14.4.1 [ 1122 ]

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2

Camera Raw virtual memory: 1838MB / 16349MB (11%)

Camera Raw real memory: 1839MB / 32698MB (5%)

System DPI setting: 144 DPI (high DPI mode)

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 3840x2160, 2) 3840x2160

Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: Yes, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:

DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (27.21.14.5671)

Init State: 3

User Preference: 1

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic

Library Path: C:\Users\aliso\Pictures\Lightroom\Lightroom Catalog-3-2-v10-v11.lrcat

Settings Folder: C:\Users\aliso\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:

1) AdobeStock

2) Alamy-Lightroom Bridge

3) Facebook

4) Flickr

5) Helicon Focus Export

6) Nikon Tether Plugin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (27.21.14.5671)

So GPU driver v456.71 (incidentally release date 10/07/2020)

Current at NVIDIA is v516.59 for Game Ready, and v516.93 for Studio. 

Yours is way out if date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines