Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Tethering and other LRC problems/challenges with Nikon Z6ii

New Here ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have had Lightroom and Photoshop for about a year (or maybe a bit less). Most of the time I have spent using LRC but I find the software to be disappointing and problematic in a number of ways.

Tethering: Tethering using LRC is a hit-or-miss. I have been successfully been tethering w D500 and D810 in the past (although, always a bit flaky when it comes get the tethered connection started). Now I also have a Nikon Z6ii and not once have I been able to get it to connect properly; it just is the never-ending spinning cycle of trying to detect the camera. I have tried it on two different apple computers (Ventura and Monterey), and with all the tricks in the book that I have found (restarting computer, restarting LRC, remove memory card, empty memory card, etc etc). Nothing works. Installed Capture One and it connects to the camera right away (as well as my Nikon Zfc which is not supported in LRC). Also installed Nikon’s NX tethering tool; primitive…. And not very useful in practice for my application but at least tethering/connecting works flawlessly in all its simplicity. How come tethering capability is so flaky and so limited in LRC.

File synchronization: synchronizing files between computers is not supported and I have been reading up on all various ways of working around this and tried some of them. In the end, I am flabbergasted that file synchronization is not supported in any real sense of the word so one can use multiple computers. How can this be? I am puzzled why they even talk about file synchronization the way they do.

Reliability/stability of LRC database and catalogs: have lost files on several occasions and not been able to fully recover it. I am sure I am in part responsible for doing something that messes things up, but rarely have I used “a premium” software this unreliable when it comes file management.

File management structure: This is to my eye overly complicated with confusing terminologies. There must be simpler and non-ambiguous ways of handling files. In the end, I don’t trust LRC to maintain my files and rather trying to make copies of files all the time which in the end is adding up to more disk space usage.

Unfortunately, I am at a point where I am considering to get Capture One Pro license and combine that with other editing tools when that is not going all the way. Except for the aforementioned problems, I really like LRC for its editing panels and the use of presets (and the rich catalog of presets that are available). But geeez, my experience with these problems make it hard to love and continue to justify……

Of course, if anyone has help to offer on the tethering issues I am more than happy to listen and thankful for any advice leading to resolve. The other issues, well, I just wanted to raise them.

Have worked with computers close to 40 years, am a (full) professor of software engineering and computer science since 14+ years and with industrial/professional experience from several domains and yet, frustrated and clueless when LRC and some of these Adobe things act up, and surprised by the lack of stability on rather basic functionality. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tethering Nikons with Mac OS 13 is broken.  Adobe is aware of the problem but hasn't indicated when it will be fixed (they almost never do):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-mac-ventura-known-issues-please-read-...

A workaround is to use Nikon's tethering app or a third-party tethering app and enable LR's Auto Import to automatically import photos from whatever folder the tethering app uses.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, it is not very robust on OSX 12.

I did set up with autoimport but doesn't work fast/smooth enough for portrait shooting (at least there are a few couple steps after the autoimport if you want to check the latest photo in more detail...).

Thanks for input!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines