• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transferring LR 6 to a new machine

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running LR 6.14 on an eight year old laptop. If I need to replace it, can my LR 6 license be transferred to the new machine?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer depends on what operating system the new computer will run. There are new MAC operating systems that will not allow the old Lightroom 6.14 to be installed. On Windows, you should be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently running Windows 10 and the new machine would be running Windows 11+. No problems with my current Toshiba Satellite at the moment, but that could change at any moment too. All my files are backed up to another drive using Acronis Cyber Protect, so should be available for restore to new (Windows) machine. My Lightroom folder contains 64K files / 300 GB.

I'm running LR 6.14 Classic. Would I have to buy a new license for the new machine, or could my current license be transferred?

Thanks!
Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The serial number for your Lr 6.14 is all you need. You will have to de-activate Lr 6.14 on the old computer before you install it on the new computer, probably best to un-install Lr 6.14 on the old computer when you are ready to install Lr 6.14 on the new computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I am aware uninstalling Lr 6.14 will not de-activate at the present time contact will need made directly with Adobe to de-activate. Previously it was possible for a user to do that process online however it is no longer possible.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2023 Jan 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstalling used to cause the license to be de-activated on that machine. I don't know why Adobe would have changed it. I would try that first, it should still work that way. (I am not suggesting the on-line method, which I know doesn't work any more).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some facts I have gathered for Lr v6.14 ('Perpetual')

1) Lightroom v6.xx (Perpetual) is not supported by Adobe.
2) Lr6 is only available from Adobe for a limited time at-

Lightroom 6 End of Support
3) Lr6 cannot be updated from Adobe.
4) Lr6 cannot be operated with a Serial Number only. It also requires Activation..

4a) Lr6 can be installed as either 'Perpetual' or 'Creative Cloud' Subscription. To be 'Perpetual' you must NOT install the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App. If the CC Desktop App is installed you will need to use the Adobe CC Cleaner Tool to wipe all Adobe 'stuff' and re-install v6 with the Serial Number.  CLEANER TOOL LINK 

4b) As Perpetual you need your Serial Number.

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/find-serial-number.html
5) Lr6 must be ACTIVATED to be useable beyond a Trial term.
6) You cannot Activate online to Adobe within the App.(See item#10)
7) You cannot De-activate online direct to Adobe within the App.
8) Lr6 is not known to be compatible with Windows-11 yet some are using it with W11. It will not install in Mac iOS (BigSur, Catalina, Monterey)
9) Future downloads for v6.14 may only be available via this link-

https://prodesigntools.com/adobe-lightroom-6-cc-direct-download-links.html

10)  Lr6 can only be Activated/ Deactivated, and 'Activations' RESET by a  Chat to a sympathetic Support staff member, CONTACT ADOBE SUPPORT from the Chat link: 

Be Signed-In here with your Adobe ID and allow cookies in your web browser.

Online Chat: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen

Ask only for ACTIVATION RESET of Lr6. (Do NOT ask for 'Support' -you will be referred back to the forums!).

Carissa Massongill is one staff member that has been helpful- but only for a limited time!

Activation or Deactivation versions of Lightroom

Lightroom-(Perpetual) has morphed into Lightroom-Classic which is now at Version 12.0.1  in the 'Photography Plan (20GB)', many advanced features and improved editing added since v6. And Photoshop, etc, included! For the cost of a couple of cafe coffees each month.

Available by subscription-  $9.99 PHOTOGRAPHY PLAN (USA) 

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think #10 is true. I think uninstalling Lr 6 will de-activate it. One way to find out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be pleased to know others experiencere uninstalling/deactivating.

I went v5.7 > Classic v7, so do not have a v6 experience. Thanks @dj_paige 

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At Rob Cullen, I believe that was the case when Lr 6.14 had on line support but since on line support is no longer available I believe it's necessary to contact via chat or telephone to have Adobe staff to deactivate a unit.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It used to be that uninstalling de-activated the licence, and I think it still de-activates the license, but I have no way to check. Adobe has not modified the code in Lr 6 since 2017, so why would that change? The reason that now you have to contact anAdobe staffer to get this done applies to cases where the computer is "dead", or sold, or otherwise unavailable, so you can't un-install. De-activating on the web site used to be an option, but it is gone now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At dj, just a thought since there is no online connect to your Adobe ID when you do a uninstall there is no way for Adobe to know you have uninstalled the application from the unit. As far as I recall it was necessary to de-activate and then uninstall.

As you rightly say there is no way to test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't agree with this statement:

since there is no online connect to your Adobe ID when you do a uninstall

In fact, to use Lr 6 at all, your license has to be validated and checked to make sure that there are less than or equal to 2 activations, so there has to be an online connection to some Adobe activation database to use the software. There is no way to de-activate on the Adobe website, which is an entirely different thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lr 6.14 license allowed 2 activated installations, however you could install on multiple computers e.g Computer in Office, Computer in study at home, Laptop in TV room, Laptop traveling or visiting a client.

You would just manage which two were activated at any point in time.
You did not have to uninstall to deactivate.

You needed to connected online to your Adobe ID to deactivate a unit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You did not have to uninstall to deactivate.

But uninstall was another way to deactivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines