• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transform tool not working when I open an image in Photoshop

Participant ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I  just corrected an image in Lightroom using the Transform Guided tool, vertical and horizontal, then open the image in Photoshop to do more work but the corrected effect from Lightroom hasn't fully been effected in Photoshop. Any problems reported following the latest updates or does anyone have any idea?

Thanks in advance

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of image is it, and if it is not a raw image, what did you choose in the dialog you got when you sent it to Photoshop?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response Johan. It's a raw image. I opened from scratch in LR Classic, down to the Transform menu and made guided adjustments which looked fine in LR. Opened the image in Photoshop using CMD+E on a PC and noticed that the two verticals were correct, as was the bottom horizontal but the top horizontal was bowed outwards. Any help appreciated thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is odd. When you send a raw image from .Lightroom to Photoshop, then that image will be opened under the hood by Canera Raw, using the Lightroom settings. As Lightroom uses the same Camera Raw engine, what you describe should not be possible. Can you post screenshots to illustrate this? Use the EE7282B8-0F59-4195-B0A7-A2D59B15C40A.jpeg button to insert them into the post, do not attach them.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a hunch, probably a bad one. After you made your adjustments, did you immediately send it to Photoshop? Normally probably not an issue, but if you did, try again, except accomplish one more develop edit (bot a transform one) so that you know the transform should be 100% done, perhaps a small basic edit, just something to show up in history above the transform.

This as a test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have to correct myself a little in terms of workflow here. The file in lightroom was a 5 image blend not a single file but it has never made a difference before. Here is the amended LR version before sending to PS.

tiff.PNG

Here is the same image as it appears opening directly in PS using CTRL+E from LR without any other editing

TIFF 2.PNG

I amended the image in the end to get a result I was happy with but there shouldn't be a difference between the 2 just opening up from LR into PS.

@GoldingD - yes opened straight from LR as I normally do. I tried an extra step as you suggested ( a crop) and it gave the same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Transform Tool does not correct curved lines. It only corrects for perspective, meaning slanted lines. So this is not a Transform Tool problem. What you see here looks like Photoshop did not apply lens corrections while Lightroom did. Try the following: In Lightroom, select the image and then use 'Photo - Show in Windows Explorer'. That will show the original raw file. Double click it to open in in Photoshop with Camera Raw. In Camera Raw, go to Optics and click on the 'Use Profile Corrections'. Does it show the correct profile being applied? If not, select the profile and then under Setup choose 'Save New Lens Profile Defaults'.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try that thanks. A question though - if I've already edited the image in LR and asked for it to be opened in PS via CTRL+E, why aren't the adjustments being transferred across as it's already been edited? It seems as though it's reverted to an unedited version. Sorry if I'm being a bit dense here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@NigelD1 wrote:

I'll try that thanks. A question though - if I've already edited the image in LR and asked for it to be opened in PS via CTRL+E, why aren't the adjustments being transferred across as it's already been edited? It seems as though it's reverted to an unedited version. Sorry if I'm being a bit dense here!

I think I already explained this. An edited file is not sent to Photoshop, Photoshop opens the raw file (in Camera Raw, but you won't see the interface) using the Lightroom settings. So if one of those settings says 'apply the lens profile', but ACR can't find that profile, then this could happen.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Johan - appreciate the info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible an older version of ACR might lead to LrC's edits not being properly interpreted, but in that case there should be a warning and some options presented. One of those options is to have LrC render the image's adjustments, raw conversion and lens profile corrections etc into pixels, and then send the finished result for opening in PS (already pre-saved to disk). That can workaround any issues of a lens profile or camera profile or even certain adjustments being supported by / available within Lightroom Classic, but not within ACR for whatever reason. Because then all PS has to do, is open up a ready-made standard TIFF or PSD without involving ACR at all.

Note that even when LrC and ACR are not of incompatible versions, you can still "force" LrC to do the rendering-into-pixels job itself. Make an additional, named, external editing preset (which refers to the same PS executable as the usual method does). Then instead of using Ctrl+E you can choose this other external editing option by name. (Such presets can refer to different external applications, but also can vary as to the bit depth / colourspace employed).

It is of course preferable even so, if LrC and ACR can become fully interoperable - not least, for special integrations: Open (multiple) as Layers / Open (single) as Smart Object, but also sending (multiple) into PS for HDR or Pano merge if so desired rather than doing those tasks inside LrC. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

a completely unrelated comment: there's an architectural technique called "entasis" - deliberately done, for visual reasons - such that classical columns often bulge slightly as well as tapering towards the top. For this reason, when straightening up a building with these kinds of classical column, it is a good idea to use the midline of a given column, instead of its left or right edge as you see it. That's a better guide to the actual verticals involved. Very often there are "fluting" grooves going up and down each column, which are very useful towards this end. You'd align using the middle groove on each column (as you see it). Or lacking these grooves, eyeball where the apparent midline of the column runs (as you see it). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines