• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Update to vs 12

New Here ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday I upgraded my LR CC to version 12. Since then, some pictures (.dng) are not showing up anymore in the filmstrip, as they did in the older version. Any advice? 

Felix, The Netherlands

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not showing up, meaning they should be in the filmstrip but they are not? Or not showing up as in they are in the filmstrip but the thumbnail is just gray? Please show us a screen capture. Use the "Insert Photos" icon, do not attach files.

Are these DNGs all from a specific camera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Schermafbeelding 2022-10-21 om 07.14.04.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And pictures are from the same camera ... just taken one after the other

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The exclamation mark means these images are missing. They are not where Lightroom expects them to be.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fix the missing file indication in Lightroom Classic via these instructions: https://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dj_paige and Johan, thank you for your advices. But the instructions sended, don't fit to my problem, if I am operating in the right way. If I search for the grey and not visible pictures by name, I can't find them at all. I did not move folders of pictures at all, I just upgraded.  Schermafbeelding 2022-10-21 om 17.47.48.png

At one moment while updating I got the screen below and choosed for the blue option: to upgrade. So what can I do now? Schermafbeelding 2022-10-20 om 10.51.59.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The instructions given do apply. The original files can't be found, so you have to tell LrC where they are using the instructions given.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that upgrade screen capture from yesterday? (the 20th as seen in the image). Or today? I thought you had already upgraded LrC to v12. . Or is this from trying to open a different catalog?

That screen occurs upon upgrade of LrC, it occurs each time you open a older than v12 catalog. What happens is the catalog gets copied and upgraded to work in the new LrC version, as the SqLite database engine has been changed. Completely normal. It does not happen during updates.

The catalog that gets created will not work with older LrC versions. The old catalog still exists, and will still work with the previous LrC version prior to upgrade.

Clicking on that button starts the upgrade process. It should not take very long, less than a few minutes. And the new catalog should open upon completion.

One thing to notice. In that screen, the existing catalog listed. Is that the previous catalog, or an older one? Sometimes during the upgrade, LrC might attempt to open and upgrade the wrong catalog. This may happen if you use the normal start icon to start LrC, as opposed to double clicking on the catalog in your OS File Manager. Result could be missing folders, missing photos, missing imports specifically, missing edits. Because you are not looking at the catalog attended. Typically due to the preference file being corrupted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating to Lightroom Classic 12 means you'll have to upgrade your catalog, so this is normal and has nothing to do with the missing image(s). Unfortunately, we cannot tell you what happened to these images. Only you can. To make sure that Lightroom isn't making a mistake somehow, open the folder in the path mentioned in the dialog and check if the image is really missing from that folder. If it is, then the problem is not in Lightroom. Lightroom is telling you the truth: the image is not there. So either search for it using Spotlight, or copy the image back into that folder from a backup. Same thing if the entire folder is missing.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screenshot is made before the update. I conclude following: 

The missing pictures all are part of one subfolder, called 2017, within the same catalog. I suppose I removed those pictures in the past not in a proper way, and now they are lost. Fortunately those are not my best pictures. What only puzzles me is that before updating, in the old catalog LR 2022.ircat, I never missed them. 

Thank you all sincerely, it was a pleasure to put a question on this forum and be in a "virtual conversation" with you all, all over the word. Take care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably did miss them, but their old previews were still intact and so you did not see an empty preview. The only way of realising that they were missing would have been that exclamation mark, which is easily missed. When previews need to be updated, and Lightroom can't find the original image, that's when you get that empty placeholder.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Johan!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did LrC upgrade the correct catalog? If your preference file is corrupt, LrC upon upgrade of the previous catalog may have lost track of the correct catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines