• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When creating postings for LrC, What is a Bug vs. a Discussion?

LEGEND ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I probably miss understand. I appear to be in the minority. Is not a bug an acknowledged error in the software. Is not a discussion, asking for help with a problem?

• For example, LrC fouling up Auto Sync of multiple selected images to apply just a preset, Causing all selected images to take on previous edits of most selected image.  An acknowledged bug.

• For  hypothetical example, I have the latest, greatest, ACHME Camera, model DR 4, just released today, why will LrC not import? Is not a bug. Should it not be posted as a discussion

Now I see that if I click Bug, the words "Report a Technical Issue" appear. Might be quibbling. 

To me, a software bug " is an error, flaw or fault  in a computer program  or system  that causes it to produce an incorrect or unexpected result, or to behave in unintended ways."  (ref 1)

To me, postings under bug, should be acknowledged software errors, their for members to see should they have the same issue, maybe to add in their info. Discussions that turn out to be bugs should be moved to bug upon announcement.

P.S. I had a previous posting on this subject, originally (on purpose) under bug,   it got moved unannounced to discussion, (not a bug after all)  and now appears, unannounced, to no longer exist. Apparently my thoughts are not welcome.Yet here I am again.

(ref 1): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that is something that can be policed and controlled. If someone is new to Lightroom and doesn't understand the program as well as you do, something that appears to them to be a bug could simply be a misunderstanding of a feature. Coming to the forum to report the bug for that person could just result in clarification of a feature. That has happened quite often, as I recall.

For instance, someone loads Lightroom instead of Lightroom Classic and comes to the forum to complain that they don't have a print module and are panicked because they have a huge print job that needs to be completed by tomorrow. They have reinstalled the software to not affect, and have reported a "bug". I have seen such messages in the past. How would you suggest that they corrected and properly screened?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest that community members cannot create posts under bugs, that Admins, Monitors, and Adobe Techs, review them, and move if they are a bug.

Might want to allow community members to add their same problem into a reply, as in "Me To"

Further down the line, after a bug is resolved, may want to close the post to additions as to prevent someone two years later stating me to, well after LrC updates, well after OS updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I moved your post @GoldingD  to a backchannel for review and discussion.  Apologies - I didn't realize you weren't present in that channel.

While we grok the new way of doing things in this forum, I can refer you to how bugs worked in the now read-only forum. https://feedback-readonly.photoshop.com/conversations/forum-usability-topics/how-to-reporting-bugs-p... 

We will be working on documentation to guide you here as well. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearly members are posting into Bugs, problems they think are in fact software bugs, and then, not replying, or adding to the conversation. They think they have a bug, they will report it, and Adobe will fix it at next update.

One member basically got all in my face about such.it is an example of the above:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/lightroom-10-4-maxes-out-hdd-activity-for-no-a...

IMO, add a module called Problem, limit writhing in the Bug module to Adobe support staff, only placing acknowledged or denied in the module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ahh, and from a response by Rikk, on the above problamatic user posting, a good point about bug reporting:

https://feedback-readonly.photoshop.com/conversations/forum-usability-topics/how-to-reporting-bugs-p...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines