• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can´t Lightroom write Metadata into Video files?

Contributor ,
Aug 07, 2021 Aug 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

i wonder if there is a reason why Lightroom can not write Metadata in Video files (like MOV).

Adobe Bridge can do it, so why not Lightroom?

It seems Adobe included Video support only so they can add it to the Lightroom feature list.
But Video support it is still pretty much useless in Lightroom.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why?

We're not Adobe in this forum, we are other Lightroom Classic users. We don't know why Adobe did that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don´t know that. But i expext some People here have more insight knowledge. 😉

In fact some Adobe employees do read this forum.

But i also asked that a while ago on the feedback forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fact some Adobe employees do read this forum.

There are very few Adobe employees who read this forum, they are not part of the Adobe development team, and rarely do they provide anything other than basic information about the usage of the program. And they never answer "Why?" questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asked a question, if it will not be answered i can live with that.

If i get an answer fine...

But I know wasted 2 minutes of my live reading stuff that has nothing to do with my question and is in no way helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Actually, Adobe employee interaction in the community pages may be improving, and a Team leader is working on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some thoughts to ponder on. Lightroom Classic default procedure is to store the info in the catalog file. Writing metadata to the file is a secondary function. Lightroom Classic has no develop module function options available for video files only file management functions in the Library module.

Bridge is an alternative to the Lightroom Classic and cannot access read or access info from the catalog file. Bridge reads and writes info to the file.

If you wish to propose a new feature request in Lightroom you an do so in the Adobe Photoshop Family Forum. Have you received a reply to the earlier post in Feedback Forum?

https://feedback.photoshop.com

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That feature was proposed a decade ago already.

Plenty of disussions about why it is useful to write Metadata into files exist too (if that is not clear from the start).

Lightroom is promoted as DAM Software.....so it would be great if it actually uses the Metadata fields that exist in videos. 

So other software in the production pipeline can make use of the Metadata you took the time to add.

I know Adobe likes to have it ONLY in their OWN Library because that way it is harder to switch to other software.

@DdeGannes wrote:

Bridge is an alternative to the Lightroom Classic and cannot access read or access info from the catalog file. Bridge reads and writes info to the file.

Exactly, so the only way for Adobe Photo subscription user who want Metadata available across multiple Applications, is to use Bridge to write the Keywords into the Files and then Lightroom can read them in.

It would be way better if you could do the keywording in Lightroom and have the option to write the Metadata into the Video.

Or you do it like most people who are serious about DAM functionality and use a Software that works professionally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your not alone with your frustration.

I remember 10 years ago we had already Topics about this.

Adobe has done nothing since then.

I agree Video is just in Lightroom so Adobe can say it supports Video too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you wish to promote a “New feature Request” it needs to be done in the Photoshop Family Forum and encourage other users to support the request.

I adopted Lightroom at the initial release in 2007 basically so I could stop using ACR to process my RAW image files. I no longer have sidecar files to manage and rely on the Catalog file for my info. When I need to send a file for further processing I use the edit in feature to send to the external application. In essence I use Lightroom as a standalone application. If I preferred the Bridge features I would likely switch to Bridge / ACR.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess you use LR only for Photos.

It´s fine for that and the option to write XMP into the file is there for Photos.

But for Video the Metadata only exists in the LR Catalog.

That is bad for many reasons, including security.

You can have as many backup Catalogs as you want is is always BETTER when the Metadata is also IN the files.

New Feature Request. As Tanja wrote these requests are made already, but nothing happens.
It´s an issue for Video user since LR first supported Video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there is feature request that you support add your comments, then copy the link to this forum and ask for support from other users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines