• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does paste from previous crop?

Participant ,
Aug 12, 2024 Aug 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I'm not sure if this is intended functionality but it's not desired, at least for me.

Take an image into PS for some editing which might include a re-size/crop that creates a slightly different aspect ratio due to rounding (for the sake of testing just crop the image square). Save the image back to LRc and then change to a new image and "settings > paste settings from previous" At this point LRc will crop the image to match the aspect ratio of the source image even though it has not been cropped in LRc and does not indicate it's cropped either with the thumbnail badge or dot under the crop tool icon.

Attached video shows this in action, source image is square but wasn't cropped by LRc.

Should LRc be automatically cropping images to match the aspect ratio of images it hasn't cropped?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, at the beginning of your video capture you have a specific photo selected. From your initial discussion I think I can assume this TIFF image is via LrC>Edit in PS>LrC., and that the 1:1 crop occurred in PS. To LrC this is a new image not yet edited in LrC. You move your mouse around to get our attention on that selection, you move your mouse over the crop button to get us looking at that. Their is no dot below the crop button to indicate a crop edit occurred (i.e. you had not cropped) . You select another photo, a RAW image, and you accomplish the Paste Settings from Previous, and a undesired crop occurs, matching the proportions of the previous selected photo.

OK, so I went into my rig and I can duplicate this behaviour. I suspect this is "As Designed", and I suspect that the Copy Settings from Previous is picking up on the cropped dimensions in the Metadata.

From my test, the image below is my initial image, before bringing it into PS, Pay attention to the Dimensions (As shot top, and Cropped below, in this case the same as no crop was applied)

1.png

Then I took that into PS, applied a 1:1 Crop (as to be obvious) and closed it, returning the following PSD into LrC. Notice the Crop Dimension:

2.png

Next, consider the next RAW image. Here is a similar screenshot, showing it's dimensions before attempting Paste Settings from Previous

3.png

Ok, then I selected accomplish the Paste Settings from Previous:

4.png

Now that cropped dimension (5152x5152) , does not match the PSD image (3767x3767) , but it is 1:1, same as the PSD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just tested by creating a new 4000x4000px image in PS, saving it as a TIFF and then importing it into LRc. At no point has this image been cropped but when I use it as the source for paste from previous again the crop is created. So I suspect LRc is simply matching the aspect ratio from the source image rather than reading crop metadata. 

I really don't think LRc should be matching the aspect ratio in this manner, only settings the user has modified should be transferred.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do understand the problem because I also run into this, and I find it annoying too. But, it’s not a bug because Paste from Previous assumes all settings are transferred and that was its intention: Make this image exactly like the previous one. Not “exactly except this or that.”

If the solution is to make it not copy the crop, then instead another feature can be used right now that’s already available and already able to exclude the crop: the Photo > Develop Settings > Copy Settings and Paste Settings commands, which you probably already know about. I use the keyboard shortcuts for them so that it’s almost as fast as the Paste Settings from Previous shortcut.

Here’s how I use it:

1. Press the shortcut for the Copy Settings command.

2. Click the Check All button, uncheck Crop, hit Enter to close the dialog box.

3. Select other images(s), press the shortcut for the Paste Settings command.

Yes, it’s an extra step or two at the beginning, but from that point it’s going to remember “everything except crop” for the rest of the session as you use the Paste Settings shortcut, so you achieve the goal of having customized the quick paste shortcut. I use it for other things too, like not pasting masks that were only needed for one image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I guess I'm expecting LRc to consider the aspect ratio from the source, so it's pastes the same setting the source image has - Original, As Shot, or Custom - the same way white balance works.

Using the copy/paste option is probably slower than just resetting the crop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I like that idea, it would be a good feature request to post in the Ideas section of this community. Your idea should address one way I run into the problem. Paste from Previous gives me slight unwanted crops by pasting to images with almost but not quite identical pixel dimensions, but if Paste from Previous could carry forward the Original crop aspect ratio setting, that would solve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines