• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

XMP file not being created in Lightroom

Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made changes in some image under Lightroom and I want those changes to be visible for other applications.

As per my understanding, the changes are kept in Lightroom's Catalog, but also can be written in an XMP file, so other applications could access them.

So, I recently set "Automatically write changes into XMP" under Catalog Settings, but no XMP file is being generated - and my files are not DNG files.

I also selected all images in the Library module and selected "Save Metadata do File" under Metadata menu, to force the creation of XMP file, but no file was created.

Am I doing something wrong or this is a bug?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What file type are the images?  Separate sidecar xmp files are only created for raw files.  Other formats get the information written directly into the image file itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for the prompt response.

But I'm a kind of confused now:

The option to automatically write changes into XMP file is only relevant for non-DNG RAW files?

The option to incluce Development changes is only relevant for all other file types?

Both options are used to save development changes outside the Catalog and if none of them is set, the development changes will only visible inside Lightroom, amd I right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my reply below, but basically yes.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may help...

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/lightroom-classic/help/metadata-basics-actions.html

"File information is stored using the Extensible Metadata Platform (XMP) standard. XMP is built on XML. In the case of camera raw files that have a proprietary file format, XMP isn’t written into the original files. To avoid file corruption, XMP metadata is stored in a separate file called a sidecar file. For all other file formats supported by Lightroom Classic (JPEG, TIFF, PSD, and DNG), XMP metadata is written into the files in the location specified for that data. "

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The wording on the option is "Automatically write changes into XMP", not "Automatically write changes in XMP file".  You're putting the word "file" in there yourself.

In the case of non-raw files, that XMP info can be written directly into the source file.  In the case of a raw file, the info can't be written directly into the file, so it's written to a sidecar file with the xmp extension.  In both cases though, XMP info is written.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you once more, not only for the promt response, but for also teach me that XMP is not a file, but a metadata ... now it is very clear and it makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some standard documentation that Adobe has provided.

First up, right at or near the top of Discussions, the Announcement that v11 has been released. You should always open that, Adobe always posts that:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/lightroom-classic-11-0-is-now-available...

Next up, and a link to this is provided in the above document, The What's new in this update document. You should always read those. Adobe always post them:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/whats-new.html

And in that document you can read all about the new masking, and the new metadata workflow. Many members problems, gripes, confusion, are clearly caused by not reading what has been provided. Basically Read the Manual a.k.a RTM, starting to be more like RTFM.

Also, tutorials or videos. below is a very good one on masking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Fld8eEHsE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure how anything in the announcement is relevant to sidecar XMP files (or new, anyway), except the frequency at which they're saved.

If you're working with camera raws that aren't DNG something is wrong, you should be getting XMP files. 

As @tmickow said, if you're editing non-raw files of some sort (JPG, TIF, PNG, PSD) or DNG raws, the edit data is written into the file.   Unchecking "Include develop settings in metadata inside..." just keeps it in the catalog instead and won't help.  

If you want to extract XMP from the file for some program that can't read it directly from the image, you can use Exiftool (exiftool.org) to extract it like so.  

exiftool -o file.xmp file.jpg

for a single file or

exiftool -o %d%f.xmp /path/to/images

to extract an entire directory at once.  Lightroom won't update the sidecar files you created from the images to the best of my knowledge though, and if whatever 3rd party program you're using can't read all of this information from EXIF data on its own it might not be able to do anything useful with it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you select "Automatically write to XMP" Lightroom will begin the process going forward when you import new image files.

For previously imported  images writing to the file will only take place if you use the menu option to "Save metadata to file" or you make additional edits to the images.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DdeGannes Is that documented somewhere?  I've never heard of or experienced that behavior before and a quick test seems to indicate that is not the way it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"For previously imported  images writing to the file will only take place if you use the menu option to "Save metadata to file" or you make additional edits to the images."

I didn't remember how it worked, so I did a quick test too, and I agree with @tmickow. I imported 200 raws, set their caption, then enabled Automatically Write Changes To XMP.  Over the next minute or so, 200 .xmp files showed up in Finder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You probably still have the folder, where those imported images are located, selected. What about about all the previously imported images?

Thats the way I recall it works, I do not normally use the Automatically write to XMP in my workflow. I prefer just having the info in my Catalog with LrC no need for hundred of thousands of xmp files.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines