• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom: Have develop preset parameters viewable inside Lightroom after creation.

Advisor ,
May 01, 2011 May 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have develop preset settings viewable inside Lightroom after creation.

I find it a bit cumbersome that I cannot see the parameters specified in a deveop preset after it has been created.
I'd appreciate an entry in the context menu of a preset: "show definition of preset". This should display, like the criteria of a smart collection, how the preset was defined: which panels included, which slider settings or auto algorithms chosen.
Currently it is guess from hovering/navigator panel or try&undo, or I have to view them in a text editor from OS storage location.
Idea No status

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
29 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, that would save me a significant amount of time too, particularly if you need to update a preset and can't remember which slider values it included.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. I've never thought of this one before, but yeah, this would be huge. And why not allow each setting to be modified as well? Sure you can "Update with Current Settings" but that's not the same at all...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 02, 2011 May 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To build on Sean's comment, as a workaround in the meantime you can apply the preset to a test photo you keep around just for this purpose, adjust the settings, right-click the preset and do Update With Current Settings. That's easier than editing in a text editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,
that is not my problem - to update with current settings.
I just want to see what the current settings are - I have a diagnosis need, not an update need.
Currently 2 options are offered to me for this, which I find neither sufficiently convenient:
(a) apply it to a sample photo and browse though ALL the panels to watch for their slider settings (and note them down on a piece of paper? guess which ones might have actually be adressed by the preset, which might be left from default?). Auto-corrections can just be guessed in doing so.
(b) Locate the template on my hard drive and look at it in an editor - is quite tekkie, but at least better overview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree that applying to a sample photo isn't as useful or convenient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've always wanted this to be a tooltip - no need for a context menu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes please allow us to edit the settings independently from the develop module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
May 21, 2011 May 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's make them viewable, editable and please, please include the default presets that get applied on import (which are stored separately from the develop presets).

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 25, 2011 Jun 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my opinion, if when you go to update a preset, the checked settings matched those settings defined in the preset, one could check that way, even if they did not intend to edit - would kill two birds with one stone.

See another 'Idea' that would solve this problem and the other: When Updating Develop Preset, Have Checked items match preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll still have to remember what you saw, or write it down, unless you can also edit at the same time, which is what this 'Idea' is about:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For editing as well as viewing, this 'Idea' covers it:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 16, 2012 Sep 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When choosing 'Develop Preset - Update with Current Settings', please initially check the items that are defined in the preset, and uncheck those that aren't.

That would save the user from having to:
1. Figure out which items are defined by this preset.
2. Check the corresponding boxes manually, in order to update same items.

Or, if there is some reason somebody might have found a use for it the way it is, at least add another button, along with 'Check All' & 'Check None': 'Check Matching'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ́d like to be able to better control develop settings. For instance, when I want to copy settings from one image to another, I get the "Copy Settings" dialog box. In this box I can only check what settings I want to copy, but I don ́t see the values! A more informative dialog box - like the one for metadata, since it shows the contents - would be good.

Same thing goes for develop presets. I have poor memory (!), so whenever I try to update a preset, I have a hard time trying to remember what settings (and with what values) are involved in that particular preset. A "preset editor" would be great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom - LR4 - Updating Develop Presets

As we all know develop presets can contain a selected amount of parameters. The problem when updating a develop preset is that the parameter window doesn't have selected the exact parameters the preset contains, which means having to either remember which one's to select or guess.

Please can the update preset command query the preset and open the parameter window with the correct parameters selected. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having moved to Lightroom 4 I'm finding it necessary to change a lot of LR3 presets to the new processing. The recommended way to do this is to update the preset after applying it to an image. This is actually not that easy.

A preset doesn't always affect all parameters. At the time you create the preset you check the boxes to say which develop parameters you want to store in it. When you are trying to update a preset you don't know which parameters the original version checked so you cannot easily create an updated one with the correct boxes checked.

Here's the best solution I can think of. When I select update preset please set the checkboxes to the same state as when the preset was created. Then I think I have a better chance of creating a reasonable updated version of the preset. Thanks.

Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 31, 2012 Dec 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once I made a preset I cannot see what the settings of that preset are. It would be very nice to right click on the preset and have the option to see what the settings are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2014 Jan 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I save or update a preset, a window pops up and lets me choose which settings to keep in the preset. The boxes that are checked default to my last choices.

I create a preset "darken", check only contrast, blacks and tone curve, and then save the preset.

Sometime down the road, I realize that the look I am expecting from the preset can be further enhanced by a slight adjustment to the clarity slider, and I want to add this setting to "darken".

Only, I'm an older guy, it was a few months back, and I'm not really sure just which settings I set in "darken". I can keep the basic tab open and apply the slider, and I can see the contrast and blacks slider move, but I can't see the tone curve change.

So, how do I safely adjust the "darken" preset unless I can see which controls the preset is holding? I need to know to check contrast, blacks, tone curve, and now clarity, but I have no easy way to find that out.

Ideally, if I right-click a preset and select "update with current settings", the list of sliders / tools to include in the preset update should default to checking only those that are currently in the preset. That way I can safely update, in this case by also checking the Clarity check box.

Alternatively, I just need a way to look at what settings a preset is actually using. It's a bit primitive that I have to sue a text editor to open the preset and inspect it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 27, 2014 Jan 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which product are you using? That sounds a bit like Lightroom, but could also apply to ACR and Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2014 Jan 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies, I didn't realize I needed the product name in the header, and I can't edit the header. It's Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2014 Feb 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Second apology, I have listed this as a bug, and I'd like it to be a suggestion for a future version. How do I change the category, or should I re-list this?
Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The feature has already been requested. If you could find it, you could vote on it, and comment there...

Or maybe the wizard behind the curtain will merge threads...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob, do you know the thread URL off hand?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, at least I now know I'm not alone on this one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like a "no brainer" (jdi) to me ;-}

Votes

Translate

Translate