• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to have Home/End key go to beginning/end of filmstrip

Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2011 Oct 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom: Many times while working with a large number of images (any amount for that matter) while viewing using the filmstrip,especially while in the Slideshow or Loupview, but really any module. To very simply have a "HOME" and an "END" key. To very simply take you back to the beginning or the end of the filmstrip. One click, Done! No more scrolling and scrolling ! This would be HUGE!
dj

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
17 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only shortcut I know of (which at least works with Windows) is to go to Grid view, highlight all the thumbnails (using Ctrl-A or menu item) then if you press the left-arrow key you'll be at the first thumbnail with only that one highlighted and correspondingly if you press the right-arrow key with everything highlighted you'll be at the last thumbnail. Of course this only works if you aren't using a partial-selection to do something like drive a slideshow.

In Windows multi-line text boxes or documents with text in them, Home, End, Ctrl-Home, Ctrl-End, PageUp, PageDown, Ctrl-PageUp, Ctrl-PageDown, Ctrl-Left-Arrow, Ctrl-Right-Arrow all allow quick navigation through a list of items, either by words or lines or pages or document top and bottom. LR doesn't use any of these keyboard shortcuts, perhaps due to differences in the Mac and Windows interface and keyboard navigation conventions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve Thanks, there always seems to be a work around of some kind. I just want a simple button on the tool bar from within LR that will take me home or to the end. That will work whenever I am using the filmstrip.collections,different mods.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, with a little more playing around, it is clear that Home/End and PageUp/PageDown have uses in Loup view so cannot be used to navigate the thumbnail bar as you want:

When an image is zoomed in to larger than to fit on the screen, Home/End go to the top-left/lower-right corners of the image, and PageUp/PageDown travel sequentially through the zoomed in image one screen at a time, to be use to examine every pixel of the image to look for problems. I didn't realize this until you asked your question, but it would be good to check for places where the spotting tool needed to be used.

About the only good news is that in Library View, Ctrl-Left and Ctrl-Right navigate to the beginning and ending images of the selection in the thumbnail bar (or grid view)while keeping the selection intact. It does not do this in Develop, though, for some reason.

In the Print module Ctrl-Left and Ctrl-Right jump by the number of images on each page in the layout with more than one image is on each page.

So it seems that most simple navigation keys are already used for particular purposes in limited contexts so cannot be used across all modules for something that navigates the thumbnail bar, except, maybe, Ctrl-PageUp/Ctrl-PageDown or Ctrl-Home/Ctrl-End which seem to do the same thing as without the Ctrl key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

|> in Library View, Ctrl-Left and Ctrl-Right navigate to the beginning and ending images of the selection in the thumbnail bar (or grid view)

Not for me. win7/64 Lr3.5 (ctrl left/right same as left/right plain).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree - if there's a way to pull it off given limited keystrokes, a (preferably mode independent) way to get to beginning and end of filmstrip is desirable, even if not Home/End.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not for me, now, either, so I'm not sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2012 Feb 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I greatly miss the Home and End keys.
Expecting to move to and select the very first image in the film strip (respective the very last).
It is possible to navigate from one picture to the next (or previous) by the Right and Left arrow keys on the keyboard.
And possible to scroll forth and back using the mouse. Why not the Home and End keys?
br Henrik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2012 Feb 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So many times I just want to go to the beginning or to the end of the filmstrip.From Library mod,develop, slideshow and print mod. I realize there are work a rounds.Sure I can scroll up or down while in a mode.And that is fine when there is only 10 images.But when editing say 4 to 600 images,All I really want is to be able to click and take me to the beginning/home or the last image/end in the filmstrip. I use a mouse and or a pen, so from on screen ,not necessarily a "keyboard shortcut" or a one or two key stroke combo , a single click from my mouse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Sep 23, 2013 Sep 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be very helpful, if the Filmstrip would support
* HOME
* END
* PAGE_UP
* PAGE_DOWN

Especially in combination of SHIFT to select a big amount of pictures to adjust them in the same way, it would be more error-prove and faster, then using the mouse and the tiny scrollbar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Oct 06, 2013 Oct 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unbelievable that LR lacks this functionality!!

I'm shaking my head while asking if LR developers are working with LR at all, just to recognize missing GUI interaction and to improve wothout having beble here to beg for 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 28, 2017 Aug 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I select all the images on the left (or on the right) in a Lightroom filmstrip? i.e similar to Ctrl+Shift+Home or Ctrl+Shift+End in text editors.
There seems to be no way and I have to use shift with left/right arrows to do the selection which is a cumbersome process if you have hundreds of photos

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should or can the Home/End keys function in the library mode?  I am culling through hundred of pictures and some times need to jump to the beginning or end of my current file of pictures. Can the Home key or the End key be made to do this? Would help in navigation

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Ctrl+d (which deselects all photos), then Left arrow for Home, Right arrow for End. I'm building this into the next version of LRKeys Pro...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not perfect but the best workaround yet.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Any Source plugin now provides First Photo and Last Photo commands to which you can assign keyboard shortcuts.  (I've assigned them Ctrl+left-arrow and Ctrl-right-arrow.) It works on both Windows and Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. 

My problem with my LR cloud is that i can't fine my HOME button. how do i go about finding it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2024 Feb 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many years ago Lightroom had a keyboard shortcut to jump to the first or last image (in Library and Develop modules).  That was removed and to date not replaced.  Not sure why as this is a massive asset to workflow.  I have discovered that Fn+arrow jumps to begining and end of images in the Library module only, but not the first or last image, which would be an incredible improvement (in both the Library and Develop modules).  Is the only way to acheve jumping to first and last to use a plug-in such as Any Source Plugin as noted John Rellis 

Shameful that Adobe have not re-introduced this vital sortcut (and indeed customisable keyboard shortcuts generally)

Hope soon remedied 🤞

Votes

Translate

Translate