• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Add Soft Proofing

Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2011 Apr 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone mentioned soft proofing yet? If not, please add it! I'm sure you will.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 09, 2012 Jan 09, 2012
Check out soft proofing in Lightroom 4:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate
37 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its been mentioned in many forums for a long time. So yes, its probably one of the most requested features I’ve seen over the years. But doing it correctly isn’t easy. LR has to improve soft proofing we have in Photoshop, deal with doing so parametrically, give us good before and after results etc. Not easy but doable and I really hope and expect to see it in 4.0.
Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah... sorry, I meant specific to this Facebook Feedback forum. In any case, I'm curious to know more specifics of what you'd improve from Photoshop soft-proofing if it were implemented in LR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well for one, I’d want a true before and after preview whereby I could turn on the soft proof and apply output specific edits parametrically, and see the ‘before’ image without the soft proof on as I produce these edits. The edits would be output profile specific. So I’d like something akin to virtual copies where I could build output specific edits based on each soft proof. It be great too if I could copy and paste the edits onto other images I want to print. It be cool to see on-screen, a soft proof with say Perceptual and Relative Colorimetric side by side to make the decision as to what to use easier.
Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh. I see what you're saying. Yes, that would be much better than PS and an excellent way to implement it. I've always been curious though... it seems like if the program is capable of displaying the results of applying a profile during soft proofing, couldn't it also calculate the necessary adjustments to bring the virtual copy you suggested in line with the original... or as close as possible ex-gamut issues etc? Since that's what i end up doing during soft proofing, an "Auto-adjust based XXX profile" option would also be a time saver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,
Apr 29, 2011 Apr 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree to adding the feature to a point ...

Andrew points out the crux of the matter ... Soft proofing is quite often one of the most requested features to be added to Lr ... and looks to be one of the most difficult features to implement ... if done well ...

I for one am willing to wait until it can be done properly, accurately ... and most important added in a manner that won't tax hardware once implemented ... a daunting task for the developers indeed ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2011 Jun 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

There is, as a plugin at http://www.lightroom-plugins.com .

(Full disclosure: I'm the author!)

Cheers,
Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my opinion, it would be a sin, or a crime, or a sinful crime..., to not tell people about plugin solutions to their needs, regardless of who the author is.

Warning: It really aggravates some forumers.

People who find their needs met by plugins they otherwise wouldn't have known about, are always grateful.

Warning: It really aggravates some forumers (or did I already mention that?)

R

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BenD (or anybody else) - You could do the community a service by trying Jim's plugin and reporting back: Does this plugin do the job? should Adobe do the same thing only make it native? Or is this plugin so good that the need has really been filled so Adobe shouldn't bother? Or is this plugin sorely inadequate, and what Adobe really needs to do is...

Summary:
=======
When user has an FR/Idea, and another user informs of existing plugin solution, it would be good if *somebody* comes back and says: "good enough", or "yeah, but that don't really cut it...".

Adobe may make Jim's Soft Proofing plugin obsolete come Lr4 but it would be nice to know how good of a solution it is in the mean time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Continual, irrelevant self-promotion is what got you in the ordure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thppppppp & poppy-cawck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Sep 28, 2011 Sep 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like this facility in Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is a great time for Adobe to re-imagine how soft proofing could ideally work. When you think about all the different modules and the different proofing needs within each (sRGB in Web, Print profiles in Print, etc) it's clear that an elegant implementation is going to take time to think though. I am also willing to wait until it can be done really well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That being said, I feel like I've already waited a long time. :-] High hopes for LR4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2011 Nov 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having used Lightroom 3 for now about 6 weeks I wish to make the following suggestions to the Adobe programmers.
A MUST HAVE = an undo button
A MUST HAVE = real time soft proofing for output so that as an image is developed you know what it will look like in the print / web browser / other media
A GOOD IDEA = to be able to choose and save an ICC profile for each image individually. This would greatly enhance soft proofing. Adobe assumes that just one good ICC profile is suitable for all types of photograph which is of course very far from the truth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Nov 01, 2011 Nov 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Control-Z is undo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 09, 2012 Jan 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would prefer to have basic soft proofing capability now rather than an improvement on PS capabilities sometime in the future. Perhaps the PS approach could be implemented for now? For something that's "probably one of the most requested features I’ve seen over the years" I think that would go a long way.

BTW, I'm new to this forum and it's nice to see the civil and constructive tone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Anthony,

Does the plugin solution not do the job adequately?

http://www.lightroom-plugins.com/Proo...

If not, why not?

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out soft proofing in Lightroom 4:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 10, 2012 Jan 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is another soft proof video:
http://digitaldog.net/files/LR4_softp...

Very exciting new tool that trumps soft proof in Photoshop big time (way to go LR team).

In terms of seeing the out of gamut (OOG) colors with the overlay, useful to some degree but I don’t think it is at all necessary to alter the image using HSL or other tools manually. Why? Because if you have a large gamut original and you are converting to say sRGB for the web, the conversion to sRGB will convert the data using the profile and hand this for you. Same with output to a printer. And with good profiles that take advantage of a Perceptual table, the non OOG colors may also be adjusted to attempt to honor the relationship to all colors. So it is useful to see the overlay to pick an output color space but to spend time adjusting the document to remove the overlay is I think a lot of work that is unnecessary. Gamut clipping is just a fact of life. Now if after conversion, you see something you really don’t like, and I find that very rare, by all means, try selective tools. I just don’t think you’ll find this necessary 9 times out of 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 10, 2012 Jan 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool. That means a lot to the team, coming from you. Thanks for posting more info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 11, 2012 Jan 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrew, can we save softproof target-specific presets after making adjustments. I'm imagining a kind of virtual copy of a basic preset.

In other words if I achieve my creative objective with a single preset, it would be great to have a variation of that preset a specific soft proofing space for resuse

hope that made sense

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2012 Jan 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely. No reason to build a single adjustment for one image while soft proofing and having to reinvent the wheel again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2012 Jan 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a 2nd video that I think illustrates why trying to manually deal with OOG colors is not all that useful:

http://digitaldog.net/files/LR4_softp...

By all means, test the waters yourself and report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2012 Jan 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to all involved for the new soft proofing tools in LR4. I would vainly like to ask for one added feature related to it. In PS CS5 when softproofing, I don't line up the orig file and the reference copy side by side when comparing the two images, I tab them both and toggle between them quickly using Ctrl-Shift-Tab, this allows me to see small differences in tone and colour much more easily than scanning between two side by side images. This is the way most telecine and digital film grading is done when wanting to compare two colour grades, that's how I got used to it. It would be great if one could do this in LR4....or am I the only person doing this..?

Votes

Translate

Translate