• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Allow Mobile Downloads.lrdata to be moved to another location

LEGEND ,
Jul 29, 2014 Jul 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide the ability to save "Mobile Downloads.lrdata" file to another location. On a Mac, it is always saved in the boot drive regardless of where the catalog file is moved to.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
50 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2014 Nov 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a big problem for me, compounded by the fact that there's no feature within Lightroom to organize folders after "import." I store my photos on a NAS, but my Lr catalog is on my boot drive. I LOVE Lr Mobile and use it to Auto Import pics from my iPhone into Lr. Brilliant! Except that they go straight to my boot drive in the same folder as the Lr catalog, not to my NAS photo folder. I'm manually organizing them with drag/drop within Lr - uggh!

I could perhaps live with the fixed location if Lr had a feature to re-organize photos based on metadata or other criteria - like when doing an import from outside Lr.

Please, Adobe! Give us the option to decide where our Auto Import photos are stored!

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2015 Jan 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of my catalog and photo files are on a dedicated disk, for ease of backup, and for synchronization across different machines.

It would be very helpful to locate "Mobile Downloads.lrdata" on that disk too, so that its contents will be included in backups and in synchronization with other systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try a link:

1. Move existing folder to preferred location.
2. in Windows command shell, execute

mklink /j "{current-location}" "{preferred-location}"

(on Mac, it's the ln command, executed in 'Terminal' window)

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Here is an Evernote document that describes how to relocate "Mobile Downloads.lrdata" on a Windows 7 system.

http://www.evernote.com/l/AAl-28xG_cR...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dan, for elaborating the procedure in Windows.

Now we just need somebody to do the same for Mac ;-}.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2015 Feb 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fantastic thing with Lightroom is that your picture-files gets organized in the folder structure that you choose and can be stores on multiple drives. One of the best thing with Lightroom mobile was possibility to to also easily import pictures from these devices.

Problem is that the pictures imported from mobile app from the mobile devices is automatically stored inside a file named 'Mobile Downloads.irdata' that is not a folder. Biggest problem is that you can't tell Lightroom to store these pictures on a different drive then startup drive. I don't want Lightroom to fill up my small and quick SSD startup drive. I also want to make LR to keep catalog and all originals on the same drive so I can easily bring it along and use it on a different computer running LR. This must clearly be something to fix in next version of LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2015 Mar 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe-Team,
it would be great, if Lightroom (PC) would allow to change the folder of the mobile downloads, as they are currently only stored on the system drive, which is seldom used for image data and usually lacks available space. I have not yet found a way to change the folder other than to copy the images manually to another drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2015 Mar 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is an Evernote document that describes how to relocate "Mobile Downloads.lrdata" on a Windows 7 system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2015 Mar 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I think that all "hot" fixes, like redirect and virtual paths, will be a problem at some point, due to an upgrade or whatever.

If you are using a removable drive to run lightroom on different computers, the best solution would be to have the posibillity to store everything at the same place as the catalog. Adobe should investigate this, the path for catalogs and photos are handled this way, why not handle the syncronized photos the same way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 22, 2015 Apr 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this time, there is no sanctioned way to relocate this folder. We are aware of the request, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2015 Apr 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My beautiful file organization is going out the window! I'd like to store all of my mobile Lightroom uploads on a separate drive with the rest of my photos. I love the idea of doing this right from the mobile app, but for the time being I'm going to continue using the SyncMe app to get the photos in the right place, and THEN I will import them into Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 11, 2015 May 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This setup just cost Adobe $10 / month as it prevents me from syncing my mobile photos to my main catalog and also prevents me from moving my mobile photos to my thunderbolt mirrored drives. I only have a small SSD as my main drive where Lightroom is installed and don't want that drive to fill up with my mobile pictures (4 devices). Hopefully this is fixed at some point and I'll be able to sign up for the Adobe Photography Plan at that time. You might want to mention this to your development team as I don't imagine I'm the only one who is holding out from joining your $10 / month plan due to the current implementation of Lightroom Mobile. So they could be losing hundreds if not thousands of dollars per month because of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 11, 2015 May 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ppcwp, you do realize it's just a temporary location and you can drag photos from there into any folder or drive of your choice once they've downloaded?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 17, 2015 May 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surprised that Adobe didn't anticipate this basic request. Let's hope it doesn't take them a year to react

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 26, 2015 May 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is starting to grate on my workflow. +1 from me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2015 May 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Victoria Bampton. Even so that it is a temporary location, the option must be available for the user to change it to a folder of his/her choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 27, 2015 May 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I wish for that too, but I just wanted to make sure everyone understood you can move them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2015 Jun 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 for this feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2015 Jun 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Victoria, yes I understand that it's a temporary location but my catalog is organized by year / month. Unless you have a way to automate this, I don't think I want to spend the time moving photos that have been sent from 3 iPads and 2 iPhones into the proper folder locations in my main catalog. I'm not sure what the issue is with simply synchronizing with the existing catalog. Hopefully they can sort it out as once they do, they will start making $10 / month from me and I'm sure there are others as well based on what I'm seeing in this thread. Someone just needs to determine if the cost to fix this issue will be offset by the customers they'll gain after the fact. I imagine it would be as I don't think I'm the only one holding off from buying the package due to this limitation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2015 Jun 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't test this right now, but there may be a quicker way... not quite automated but quicker. Open the volumes for the 3 iPads and 2 iPhones so you can see the folders inside. Hold down Ctrl (Windows) / Cmd (Mac) so you can click on all 5 of those folders. That'll show all of the mobile photos in the temp location. Then use the Metadata filters to select the photos by month and drag them to the right folders in your main location. It's still not as useful as automating it or moving the default location, but may help in the meantime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 28, 2015 Jun 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want images synced from my mobile (iPad or iPhone) to get stored where all my other images are (my NAS).

Lightroom currently defaults to my internal SSD - which is the last place I want those images.

Furthermore, if I try and move them from the iPhone Collection to my NAS folder Lightroom screws them up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2015 Jun 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a re-post from 5 months ago. The method described has been adapted by others for use on Mac.

Here is an Evernote document that describes how to relocate "Mobile Downloads.lrdata" on a Windows 7 system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 16, 2015 Jul 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe in the spirit of good photo library management, LR needs to be changed to allow the end-user to configure the folder where LR stores photos it downloads via Lightroom Mobile. Currently, on Windows 8.1, the synced photos are stored under the C:\Users\\Pictures\Lightroom\Mobile Downloads.lrdata folder path.

The only way to have Lightroom automatically download those to another location is via changing the location of the Windows user profile's "Pictures" folder. This seems like a hokey work around compared to all of the other configuration options available in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2015 Jul 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have another reason to justify why this really needs changing / improving.

I want to be able to import jpeg files into Lightroom Mobile on my iPad when out and about. I'll then share some pics, edit some, flag others and then leave them till I get home.

When I get home, I then want to create a folder on my desktop and import all jpeg and raw files into that folder (directory). Lightroom on my desktop should now allow me to easily sync / merge the "imported from mobile files / changes / edits" with the jpeg/raw files I just uploaded into the folder.

Surely this is 90% of the reason for having Lightroom on a mobile? It should allow to do initial work on jpeg's, and then get home and sync / merge all these changes simply with everything on the SD card that you then import properly at home!

Right now its a heck of a faff to try and do this - so much so that it negates the point of the mobile app to me.

This is wonderful software and a great concept - but until we can decide from the mobile app where the files will be stored on the desktop and then simply merge everything once home the workflow is a serious headache.

In my catalog settings I have "treat jpeg and raw files separately" enabled as I like to delete either jpeg's or raw's selectively. I'd also like for the flags / changes I make to the jpeg's in LR Mobile to be applied to the raw files when I import them on desktop. Again - this seems like an obvious requirement?

Votes

Translate

Translate