• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Allow Mobile Downloads.lrdata to be moved to another location

LEGEND ,
Jul 29, 2014 Jul 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide the ability to save "Mobile Downloads.lrdata" file to another location. On a Mac, it is always saved in the boot drive regardless of where the catalog file is moved to.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
50 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2015 Jul 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it not possible to do this for example:

In LR Mobile, I create a new collection and add the jpeg files from my iPhone photos app. LR Mobile then sends the name of the collection to LR Desktop and creates a folder on the desktop with the same name.

When I get home I can then simply add the raw / jpeg files (but not duplicates) and everything then updates itself and I "carry on editing" in a seamless way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get an Evernote error when I click on this link...is it possible I need an Evernote account?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also get an error (an Evernote account is not required). Just now I regenerated the link It is

http://www.evernote.com/l/AAl-28xG_cR...

Please let me know if there is still a problem. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link above has been updated to

http://www.evernote.com/l/AAl-28xG_cR...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried it, it works, (the link), thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 15, 2015 Sep 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wondering if this idea is gaining any traction...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2015 Sep 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meeeee toooo

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 20, 2015 Sep 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a novice LR/PS and now mobile LR user, it's really confusing on now to manage all the photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Oct 07, 2015 Oct 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad Adobe is aware if the request. This is a huge problem. Mobile sync is quickly filling up my boot disc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Oct 07, 2015 Oct 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please allow us to move this folder to a location we choose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2015 Oct 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I moved some photos and videos inside Lightroom from the mobile downloads (e.g. iPad/ IPhone volumes) to the drive where I store all of my photos, but the mobile Downloads.lrdata was not shrinking in size. Even the files are not in the package content anymore. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you move them? Did you do it inside Lightroom? (the way your post is worded it could go either way)

If you did it inside Lightroom, then it sounds like you found a bug. If you moved it outside of lightroom...then that could be the problem. You'd have to move them back where Lightroom knows where they are and then move them from inside Lightroom..or have Lightroom locate them

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I did it all inside of Lightroom. And it's not only in the newest version. I also tried it on my Macbook Pro that still has LR CC 2015.1.1 MobileDownloads.lrdata was 4,8GB. I opend LR and moved all the stuff inside iPhone6/imported photos to a folder on my photos drive. Lightroom moved it there, the iPhones6 folder in LR is empty, but the size of mobildownloads.lrdata is still 4,8GB. Even after closing LR and rebooting the Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is definitely no good. I'll have to try this. I've had problems with those cache files filling up my system before, but I haven't checked to see if it is still growing....
one thing, have you tried telling lightroom to clear the previews

have you tried clearing your cache?

this link shows how to do it

http://www.lightroomfanatic.com/tutor...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now it's getting even more strange. Wanted to purge the caches, but when I click preferences in Lightroom it crashes. So I updated to 2015.2.1 on my Macbook Pro. Same issue. I deinstalled LR und deleted LR Prefs. Reinstalled LR and when I started it for the first time I could reach preferences. Quit LR and opened it again, crash on opening preferences.
After some trial and error I found out, when I hold the Option key on start up and choose the same catalog from there, opening preferences won't crash. What's going on here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forget about using LR 2015.2 aka LR 6.2 or 6.2.1. It is nothing but problems form the interface change to compatibility with the new Mac OS 10.11 El Capitan.
Simply roll back to the previous version 2015.1 aka 6.1 and keep getting meaningful work done, and stop being Adobe's Guinea Pigs.
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But this problem also was in 2015.1.1. I will try it on my MacPro tomorrow from where I copied the catalog over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2015 Oct 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, now that I deinstalled the whole Creative Cloud and removed everything like presets, preferences and installed CC again it's working fine and the size of the MobileDownloads.lrdata is decreasing when I move photos to another drive, as it should be. I think it was a problem with my two machine system where I syncrd my catalog and previews over a network drive and my presets and prefs over Dropbox. Both Macs where connected to LR mobile. I think that was the confusing part where something went wrong. It's sad that the catalog is not working on network drives.
I guess I have to rethink my workflow and use only one computer to do my post work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2015 Oct 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have problems with this. I wonder if storing in the Creative Cloud would work better than Dropbox or Google Drive...

I know this is unrelated, but what I really want is to use a fast Lightroom that had storage for all my photos and settings in a secure cloud. Not to mention, better collaboration tools. I find sharing those albums with someone else using Lightroom to be practically useless...ok, off my soapbox (before it starts getting too bloated)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2016 Jan 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR CC 2015.4 / 6.4 implements this: "Customers can now set the location of where photos are stored when downloaded from Lightroom mobile or Lightroom web in the preference panel or contextually in the folder panel".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 30, 2016 Jan 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw that the other day. Finally! I was very happy to see this implemented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 31, 2016 Jan 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So we can now place imported ipad/iphone photos in whatever directory we want. This is great. 

Is there a workflow reason not to just have them dropped in whatever your default storage folder is for photos? It also seems that since we can sequester them based upon date that this change removes the necessity of ever syncing your ipad/iphone directly to your computer for offload and storage of images, which is nice.

Though I did notice that when new pics are brought in, they're accompanied by an "info" file that tells you what device took the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2016 Jan 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm extremely pleased that Adobe has implemented this capability. I had stopped using Lr Mobile to send my iPhone photos to Lr because I didn't want my boot drive filling up, and moving them manually was too much of a hassle. Very happy to dump my interim solution and fully us Lr Mobile. Of course, I now discover that it only syncs while the app is running and phone unlocked - no background syncing. Arrrggghh!

Michael - I can't see any reason not to have photos from Lr Mobile go into your default photo folder. I use a simple structure of YYYY/MM for my photos. (Yes, I know folder structure shouldn't matter in Lr - use keywords, collections, etc....which I do; however, I don't want a single "photo" folder to grow to 100k files one day - that's unwieldy for many reasons.) Anyway, I'm now saving my Lr Mobile photos to photos/year/month and it seems to be working just fine. I auto add them to a collection on my phone called "Charles iPhone" and I use that collection on my desktop to do my culling, tagging, and moving to other collections. This has basically covered the two parts of the normal import process that I need: moving the photos into my folder structure (automatic with Lr Mobile) and putting my new photos in a collection to review . Of course, this all very new, but seems to be working well so far.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In an earlier post I asked about moving a file, I identified the wrong one by mistake. I meant to ask can you move 'Pictures/Lightroom/Mobile Downloads.lrdata' to an external disk?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2018 Feb 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
No, but in Preferences > Lightroom Sync you can set a normal folder location so nothing goes into Mobile Downloads.

Votes

Translate

Translate