• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Color collections and collection sets to simplify navigation & cataloging

Apr 04, 2011 Apr 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Update: Color labels for folders were added in LR 7.4 --John Ellis]

I find it difficult to navigate folders and collections in the LH panel. To some extent this is because I (unwisely) chose to use similar naming conventions.If it were possible to allow users to "Colour code" folders and collections it would make navigation much easier and also give me another way of "cataloging" photos.My suggestion would be a small colour indicator, rather like the online/offline indicator but round instead of oblong.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019
With the Lightroom Classic 8.4 release, Color Labels are now available for both folders and collections. 
Enjoy!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018
The support for color labels for folders is added in the latest release of Lightroom Classic. Right click a folder and choose Add Color Label should add the relevant color label for folder. You can also filter and search based on color label. Please give it a try and let us know of your feedback.

Thanks,
Bhakti

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 200 Replies 200
200 Comments
LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2016 Apr 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's NOT easy, that's exactly my point Mike! No inexpensive either...
Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's NOT easy, that's exactly my point Mike! No inexpensive either...
Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Workflow and functionality are what the app is all about. Compared to develop module code this would be a lot easier to implement. But as you say, all about priorities I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Workflow and functionality are what the app is all about. Compared to develop module code this would be a lot easier to implement. But as you say, all about priorities I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I thought the original purpose was. I guess priorities are just big features like mobile or haze. You'd think a smaller feature that actually enhances organizing would get included.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I thought the original purpose was. I guess priorities are just big features like mobile or haze. You'd think a smaller feature that actually enhances organizing would get included.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Develop and the features there are  primarily the domain if you will, of Thomas Knoll and Eric Chan, coming FROM Adobe Camera Raw (ACR). That's one reason why IMHO, the real powerful functions that keep coming are found in Develop. The rest of the app hasn't received the same degree of love from the LR team. IOW, if you have a feature request for ACR/Develop in LR, that's going to 'influence' two people; everything else, a team that has their own development priorities and speed to implement (or lack thereof). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Develop and the features there are  primarily the domain if you will, of Thomas Knoll and Eric Chan, coming FROM Adobe Camera Raw (ACR). That's one reason why IMHO, the real powerful functions that keep coming are found in Develop. The rest of the app hasn't received the same degree of love from the LR team. IOW, if you have a feature request for ACR/Develop in LR, that's going to 'influence' two people; everything else, a team that has their own development priorities and speed to implement (or lack thereof). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Color coding selects and rejects, finished ør in precess is not a new thing..I just thought I was missing something for all these years. 
    ̄\_(ツ)_/ ̄

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Color coding selects and rejects, finished ør in precess is not a new thing..I just thought I was missing something for all these years. 
    ̄\_(ツ)_/ ̄

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 20, 2016 May 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to be able to color code folders in the library view of LR. Here's an example of how that could be useful. If I go on assignment and shoot for three days, and have the images separated by dated folder, I want to be able to indicate when I have finished editing a folder and when I have started editing but not finished. I also want to see which folders have not been edited yet. That way, when editing a large job with several folders, I will quickly know where I am in the editing process by, for example, seeing that one folder is red (already edited), while another folder is green (partially edited) and another folder hasn't been edited yet (no color). That is just one example as to how color-coded folders in LR general view could be helpful, because without being able to do that, the process of figuring out which folders have been edited, and whether they have been fully edited, is too cumbersome. I see that a few other folks have requested this feature, but to date Adobe has not provided it. FYI: I'm on a Mac. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 20, 2016 May 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom Library module, it would be useful if we could add a color to folders. so that we know the finished jobs and the folders we should finish work on them

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 12, 2016 Jul 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea, I regularly have umpteen folders going & it's hard to keep track quickly. Every time I look at the folders I use up time figuring it out again

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 14, 2016 Jul 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hurry up and implement this already. Shouldn't be hard but would improve the workflow of everyone who used Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2016 Jul 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really what this whole link boils down to, Liam. No one is asking for the invention of something that hasn't been available in other programs for years, and it's usefulness is clear to see. Come on, Adobe!!! How many more people have to say the same thing for you to act?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2016 Jul 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really what this whole link boils down to, Liam. No one is asking for the invention of something that hasn't been available in other programs for years, and it's usefulness is clear to see. Come on, Adobe!!! How many more people have to say the same thing for you to act?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 17, 2016 Oct 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since this request is from 2010 and hasn't gotten the attention I believe it deserves, and Lightroom has grown considerably since then, I'm posting it again with a few of my own considerations. Here it goes:

When working with a large catalogue, one might get lost or take a long time to find certain folders, even when using the library filters. The reason? Well, for me is that I have multiple network folders with multiple shoot dates within (as shown in the print screen attached) with a VERY large number of photographs. Naming or re-naming the folders to match whatever criteria is really not an option and with a catalogue this big and ever growing, library filters take a long time to find stuff.

Wouldn't it be great if we could rate, color, annotate, flag and checkmark the actual folders?

And the more I think about it, the more it makes sense to me, specially when thinking ahead of time. In 5 or 10 years from now, I'll have a lot more folders and a lot more considerations regarding my labeling, rating or flagging, hence, annotations and checkmarks! Of course you could say, just export your bigger catalog into smaller ones by group, say by year for instance, but still, if I'm putting together an exposition about pictures spread out along my years photographing, that becomes a problem, and the more I photograph, the more I see this as a problem.

Also, I believe this would be a great addition for co-working on catalogues, large studios and media folks out there.

Imagine this for a second: How great would it be, for any photographer or media manager, to instantly see what these or those folders are about?!

(view figure 1)

(Figure 1)

All of that would depend on your style of logging your media of course, but still, it would mean a lot more control over your library! And the main reason I have Lightroom, is for that exact purpose, Organizing and Managing my archive. I believe that this is a feature a lot of us would like to have and would mean a major advance in the workflow.

Anyway, this (figure 1) is something I put together to illustrate my point. If anyone thinks this should be a thing, please comment, like, share, etc! Lets get this through!

Old Request from @_gary_:

Re: FEATURE REQUEST - COLORED FOLDERS 

Something similar by @teraj:

Marking pictures with Voice Memo attached 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely in favor of this! The benefits have been stated by many people over the last 5 years, since this post started. I cannot understand why Adobe did not fit this into their product roadmap. My life would be so much better with color coded folders. Really, I would be so happy. Grateful actually! Not joking here, I would give up the whole slideshow module just for color coded folders. And the book module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice mockup! Those folder features would be incredibly helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice mockup! Those folder features would be incredibly helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a great mock up. We need to put pressure on Adobe. I just posted a comment on the Lightroom Facebook page. If a bunch of us also do the same, maybe Adobe would take notice, as it appears that they do not read the feed back pages here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a great mock up. We need to put pressure on Adobe. I just posted a comment on the Lightroom Facebook page. If a bunch of us also do the same, maybe Adobe would take notice, as it appears that they do not read the feed back pages here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2016 Oct 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They do read. 126 votes in 6 years doesn't make it a high priority though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They do read. 126 votes in 6 years doesn't make it a high priority though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a fair point, but if Steve Jobs had waited for 126 people to write that it was a good idea to ditch the floppy drive, Apple would have stayed with that concept far longer than it did. There's a difference in the quality of innovation between being driven by the number of people asking for a comment and the quality of those comments The value of color coding folders is irrefutable, and Apple itself has had color-coded folders for decades. This cannot be old technology. What possible reason can there be for not including this feature, other than a lack of folks writing in that they want it?, What great company innovates based on that metric? It's a no-brainer. Please Adobe - just do it!

Votes

Translate

Translate