Participant ,
Apr 22, 2023 Apr 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My workflow for Adobe Denoise.

1. Edit RAW image in Lightroom
  2. Use Denoise AI which saves and changes my file name – adds Enhanced-NR
  3. Open the DGN in Photoshop and do more edits
  4. Close DGN and it saves my default LR file type as a layered TIF.
  5. Delete the DGN and rename the tif.

Step 6 is a pain. I haven’t figured out a fast way to get rid of the extra words “Enhanced-NR” in the file name.

And if I use Lightroom to export the DGN as a TIF it flattens the layers created in Photoshop - not good.

Idea Under review
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Have upleveled this to the team for review.

Status Under review

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 102 Replies 102
102 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently, from other post, not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what Step 6 is as your list doesn't include it. Nevertheless, you can edit the filename in the Metadata panel as shown in attached screenshot. It may not be as fast / easy as you hoped for, but better than nothing.

edit filename.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope Adobe reads this and updates Denoise AI to save the rendered file as the original file name (extension will be DGN), or a name of choice, or path of choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For example, renaming 20 files with random numbers in the file name to remove "Enhanced-NR" out of the file name can't be done as a batch series. I need to keep the original file names - extensions can vary. Going into each file's metadata to remove "Enhanced-NR" takes a long time. Having Lightroom decide to rename my files into names not of my choice is more than a little irritating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try creating a File Rename template using the token 'Preserved filename' as shown in attached screenshot. However, since you've edited the file in Ps and created a TIFF file the link to the preserved filename may already have been lost. That being said, it should work on the DNG file with the unwanted appendage

preserved filename.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you rename your photos, using something reproducible via meta data, then you could use a rename preset and rename based on that data. This might or might not work. Not at a PC to test.

1. Example, rename images to syntax YYYYMMDD_hhmmss. Then after Enhanced Noise Reduction, rename result to YYYYMMDD_hhmmss (could add a suffix to your desire). Thing is will the date metadata used be the original creation date, or now post enhance the Edit date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice try 😉 Preserve filename renames it to the cameras default name. I rename my files after they are imported and sorted. To rename my way (see below) works on one at a time or a few DNG files or TIF files in sequence. I sort my images by file type in separate folders. Not all the RAW files get converted to TIF or DGN. Takes about the same amount of time to rest the number while applying the template as it does to delete "Enhanced-NR" in the metadata for the file name. 2023-04-22 file name template.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. As I explained above, that will not work well on TIF or DNG images with random numbers at the end of the file name. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the best solution is for this thread to be moved to the 'Ideas' forum or create a Feature Request? 

I've flagged the thread for @Rikk Flohr: Photography attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to have an app that did find and replace in file names. Seems what you sent it works in Bridge but not Lightroom. There is no Headline field in Lightroom's metadata. I can't get that to work in Lightroom. Thanks for trying to help find a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't help regarding the solution Johan mentioned abobe. However, the Headline field is available in LrC, but hidden. You need to press the 'Customize' button at bottom of Default metadata panel, then enable Headline in the list. I've attached a screesnhot that should make it easier to find.

customise default panel.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rename AFTER import and Preserved Filename renaming works on the DNG at your step 2 right after using Denoise.  The Preserved Filename is NOT the Original Filename but is the name you renamed after import.  This should be expected and the DNG is a new import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2023 Apr 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to have an app that did find and replace in file names. Seems what you sent it works in Bridge but not Lightroom. There is no Headline field in Lightroom's metadata. I can't get that to work in Lightroom. Thanks for trying to help find a solution.

By @Sherry-port4u

I do not use this plugin myself, but as far as I can see any field will do. Headline was just an example. Knowing the author, I'm sure this plugin works as described.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used Lightroom Classic regularly since V2.  I've always used the option in prefs under External Editing to enter my chosen way of appending the filename of files that have been edited in Photoshop.  I choose nothing.  In my catalog, I know that a TIF or PSD was edited outside of Lightroom.  I don't need anything extra added to the file name. I LOVE that you give me the option to work that way and keep original file names clean and intact. Simple!

I've always hated that we can't do the same with Pano and HDR files.  A dash and small p or h added to the name would plenty sufficient for me and less confusing to clients getting the files.  Now we have a wonderful new AI noise feature that adds an even more complex name to derivative files with no option to alter it.  You've moved me to finally sit down and write this!

Batch renaming files with another app outside of Lightroom is a recipe for disaster and workflow nightmare.  PLEASE give a simple option in prefs to specify what we want appended to HDR, PANO and now ENHANCED images.

Thanks,  Bob Smith

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@BobSmithTX 

Right after creating the Denoise the file is selected.  Just use a rename preset like this using Preserved Filename

Screen Shot 2023-04-24 at 11.42.27 AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That will work, but only if you did not rename the original photo on import.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John & Bob!  I was unaware of the "preserved filenamename" option.  I'll use it.  But I would still strongly prefer a set-once-and-forget-it option in preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right @JohanElzenga 

I guess you could rename it twice if you used a rename preset before or after import.

First rename would be Preserved Filename and second rename would be the Rename Preset you used for before or after import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I tried the new LR enhanced denoising, and it seems great but renames the file to something long and obnoxious ie, "enhanced something something'.  Is there a way to adjust what it renames these files like when you export to PS and save back into LR?  

thanks!

Ventura 13.3.1

LR 12.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A file rename template can't do the job, since the preserved file name of the oroginal RAW file is gone after LrC has converted the optimized file into a dng file...

Since there is no search and replace function in LrC we will be renaming our optimized files by hand, I suppose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,

I have a question regarding the new (AI) optimizing functions for RAW files. As soon as you optimize a file (noise reduction, RAW-optimizing) LrC renames the new optimized DNG file in something like [filename]-Enhanced-NR. In my German UI this is [filename]-Verbessert-RR.

Is it possible to customize this automatic renaming of files? I didn't find an option in the setting dialogues. The rename dialogue in LrC can't do the job either, since the preserved file name of the original RAW file is replaced by the new file name in the enhanced DNG. I even searched the entire installation folders in Visaul Studio Code to find some Java that does this file renaming, but didn't succeed.

Is there anyone who knows, how you can manipulate/customize this process in order to have your own filename extension for optimized dng files? Only suggestions for the automatic renaming since I am familiar with all other options of chancing file names in the metadata by hand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I delete "Enhanced-NR" out of the DNG file name then take it into Photoshop to further edit. My workflow set to save it as a TIF after edits in Photoshop. I have LR set to add -sf to the end of the file name to show it is edited by me.  Then I delete the DNG file. That is the best I can do with it for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just another user that would like to be able to control LR's naming conventions.

Votes

Translate

Translate