Participant ,
Apr 22, 2023 Apr 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My workflow for Adobe Denoise.

1. Edit RAW image in Lightroom
  2. Use Denoise AI which saves and changes my file name – adds Enhanced-NR
  3. Open the DGN in Photoshop and do more edits
  4. Close DGN and it saves my default LR file type as a layered TIF.
  5. Delete the DGN and rename the tif.

Step 6 is a pain. I haven’t figured out a fast way to get rid of the extra words “Enhanced-NR” in the file name.

And if I use Lightroom to export the DGN as a TIF it flattens the layers created in Photoshop - not good.

Idea Under review
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Have upleveled this to the team for review.

Status Under review

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 114 Replies 114
114 Comments
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2023 Oct 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if you're using a Mac and use finder to make changes to the name of the file how is that transferred to the Lightroom Catalog?

Select the files in the Library Module and use the menu Metadata > Read metadata from the file?
Just asking for the info, I am unlikely to need to change my image names.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the desire for knowledge and I'm sure this will be of immediate help to someone either in the thread or in the future but you are also asking people to answer questions for you when most of this information is available via google, the manual or ChatGPT. 

The answer:

If you rename in Finder you will have to relink the images because Lightroom will register them as missing. This is old school Adobe workflow. There is also an option to rename nearby missing files when you do this. 

To resolve your initial renaming issue, now that I understand it better:

Nav to Library module at the upper right hand corner.

Select the photos you want to rename. 

Select Library from the File Menu.
Nav to Rename Photos. 
A rename module will appear. Similar to in the export module. 
You'll see the number of files you have selected in the module.
Choose edit. 
In the edit module choose the PRESET.
The default is Filename. This is where you see the unwanted "-Enhanced-" appendment to the filename. 
When you see the blue node inside of the window,  click the dropdown menu. That will allow you to toggle through several options, two of which will omit the "-Enhanced-" appendment. 
You can use the other insert options to alter the Filename however you'd like. 

Play around with it until you get the desired results. 

That should be plenty for you or anyone else to work with. 

Have fun creating!!! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info, I usually keep my workflow simple sweet so I will not waste time on changing the file name.

I use the enhanced noise reduction file as work in progress so after I have completed working with the DNG image I would do an export to tiff or jpeg depending on the use, rename in that process and then delete the enhanced DNG image from disk.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I wouldn't consider this any more complex than... changing a filename. Glad to be of service.

Hope this thread is useful to others. Handling filename changes appears to be a little more cryptic than it actually is. These are built off of workflow principles from early CS versions of Adobe products.

It isn't a matter of the feature not existing. Just that most people are used to modern file naming, changing, and saving workflows. If you have ever worked in a Non-Linear Editing system (NLE), dealt with dynamic links, or worked in a professional design pipeline, then this would be more natural to resolve.

Adobe could create a batch rename module that allows you to select a group of images, display the nomenclature blocks in columns like FILENAME_NAME EXT01_suffix. It should allow users to add Extensions or remove extensions individually or as a group, etc.

As we transition into the era of big data, we need an easy-to-use module dedicated to file management. This module would not only streamline workflows but also facilitate users in organizing their images effectively. By having a system that allows users to label their work systematically, it would be immensely beneficial for purposes like ML Training. The module can be an independent add-on or exist within the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait. Your logic is to delete the working file? The most flexible file in your pipeline? The file that you would use to archive your work just in case you need to go back to it and make changes? I would highly suggest against this workflow as it spells nothing but trouble. 

If this is your simple and sweet solution I would kindly like you to explain how this would be less problematic than just changing the filename. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2023 Oct 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@cyborg ant 

He's not deleting the original DNG. He's deleting the enhanced file, which is not flexible at all: it's a demosaiced file that can't be reversed.

The enhanced file can be recreated in seconds. The original raw file can't.

I do the same. I don't use denoise very much, but I don't really see any point in keeping them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@D Fosse , correct I do not convert my original raw files to DNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File naming for denoised DNGs is a nightmare.

First, it's not configurable.

And second, it is localized.

So this "Enhanced" is actually translated and is different in different languages.

At least make it consistent and always name "Enhanced-NR" in all languages, or better just make those suffixes configurable (for AI denoise, pano, hdr and so on).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, this thread got really complicated!

I am personally, just after something like this (from Topaz DeNoise.)

Just a simple dialog box, nice and easy. full control.  Why is this so tricky for Adobe?

Screenshot 2023-10-08 101505.jpg

I don't know how to put it more simply than this picture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JCReben It isn't that complicated: 

Lightroom Classic Denoise Module. 

Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 12.31.27.png One parameter. You stay in one ecosystem. I've received consistent results that have outperformed Topaz, to be honest. I went through 100 photos yesterday and to be honest it got boring because the process was so simple. I am going to hire an assistant because I have a large library of photos that all need to be denoised. From a global anthropology project that I've been working on for over six years. I will also use my photos for ML purposes, as well. So, labeling is super important for me. 

I should've posted pictures of these modules earlier. You reminded me to appease to my visual learners as some people have challenges drawing context from text only. 

Nav to Library module at the upper right hand corner.

Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 12.48.16.png

Select the photos you want to rename. (these are from my trip to MIT's Quantum Computer Lab). I'm in a Technology Leadership Program at MIT Professional Education.

Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 12.49.22.png

Nav to Rename Photos. 

Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 12.37.01.png

A rename module will appear. Similar to in the export module. 
You'll see the number of files you have selected in the module.
Choose edit. 

Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 12.43.17.pngScreenshot 2023-10-08 at 12.44.39.png

In the edit module choose the PRESET. (In this case we're sticking with the Filename preset)

The default is Filename. This is where you see the unwanted "-Enhanced-" appendment to the filename. 

Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 12.38.47.png

When you see the blue node inside of the window,  click the dropdown menu. That will allow you to toggle through several options, two of which will omit the "-Enhanced-" appendment (e.g. Filename and Folder Name). 

Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 12.40.56.png

You can use the other insert options to alter the Filename nomenclature however you'd like. 

Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 12.41.18.png

This can be done for a single file or a group. A quick read of the instructions will show how easy this process actually is. I really hope this helps. 

True simplicity is achieved when we establish consistent and precise work habits that can be replicated and ingrained as routine behaviors. It's not about bypassing steps, but rather about mastering a process until it becomes second nature.

The programmer's job is to hide as many complex operations that don't require user involvement while offering enough features or options to give the end user as much flexibility as possible. This is the eternal challenge in software development. 

In software development, a programmer's role is to streamline and conceal intricate operations that don't necessitate user interaction, all while providing a comprehensive suite of features. This allows end-users to experience both simplicity and flexibility, striking a balance that remains a perpetual challenge in the field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sherry-port4u , Have you tried using "Save as" instead of "Save" , after you have completed editing in Photoshop. You can edit the file name in the pop up dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am obsessive about workflows. lol 

@Ian Lyons offered this solution earlier in the thread which is another version of the same process for solving the "Enhanced" filenaming extension. 

With this way you are preserving the orignal filename. I prefer to sequence them so that way it is clear to me that it is a child of the parent file but either way this does come in handy if you're original is the RAW and you want your "Enhanced" DNGs to have matching nomenclature to its source/parent.

Nav to Library module at the upper right hand corner:

Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 13.16.34.png

Select Photos to rename: 

Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 13.17.29.png

From File Menu select Library and nav to Rename Photos (or on Mac type F2):

Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 12.37.01.png

Opens Rename module:

Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 12.43.17.png

Open File Naming Dropdown and choose Edit...

Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 12.44.39.png

Open second dropdown menu in Image Name module and selecte Preserved filename:

Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 13.09.14.png

Select and delete the Filename node.

Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 13.09.36.png

Select Done.

Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 13.09.48.png

Please see my next reply for general workflow suggestions. I posted it earlier but I'm not sure it took. I have been working in entertainment and design for over 20 years at the studios and networks. Jumped on adobe products back in 2005 (CS2). I was taught by some really great designers and technicians and they always stressed workflow.  Since then, I've branched off into other fields but I constantly use Adobe products for my line of work. I share / overshare because I love creating and believe in solid work habits. 

I genuinely hope my suggestions help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DdeGannes , @D Fosse , @FSt0p , @Sherry-port4u 

I did not say the original. I said the working file, which in this context refers to the Denoised DNG. This distinction has been the crux of this discussion.

Thread title: A way to alter the naming for Enhanced filename suffixes

Earlier in this thread, I outlined a method for changing filenames. While this procedure may seem a bit counterintuitive to those not acquainted with Adobe's best practices and standards, it's straightforward and not overly time-consuming.

To stay on topic and refine the workflow choices:

1. Preserving the original:  I convert my originals (source file) to a working DNG. This way I am preserving the integrity of my original RAW file(s). By working on a DNG, I also benefit from its universal compatibility, not just within Adobe products but externally as well, thus eliminating potential format translation issues between applications. 

(When in a rush or doing a quick and casual job, I may work on the original, but I prefer to practice good work habits.)

2. Lens correction: these corrections can introduce or shift noise patterns, so it is best done before denoising.

3. Denoise: I need to Denoise because I often shoot in lowlight situations.  

4. Exposure: exposure, contrast, highlights, shadows, whites and blacks.

5. Details: clarity, vibrance, saturation, tone curves, etc

6. Local Adjustments: brushes, gradients, etc.

7. Sharpening: This should be done after noise reduction so you're not amplifying noise. 

8. Style: Make it pretty. Find your interpretation. (Send to PSD either before or after this step. I prefer before.)

9. Final tweaks: Crop, straighten, etc.

10. Filenaming/Renaming: If I have a batch of images that have been denoised, I batch rename either in Lightroom Classic or in Finder. Both workflows explained earlier in the thread.  I usually will opt to adjust filenames in LRC to keep things consistent. There are situation where you would change the names in Finder (e.g. specific filename nomenclatures for client deliveries)

the Demosaicing debate: If you need to denoise your file - which is on topic -it is imperative to understand the significance of the denoised file. This becomes your new "base" or "working original." I shoot on the A7RIV which has large file sizes. Denoising can take anywhere from 10-35 seconds (MBP M1 Max Pro Fully Loaded). So, denoising is not a trivial task.To ensure workflow efficiency, I denoise once, store the source file safely, and then proceed with the Enhanced DNG.

Demosaicing might seem irreversible, especially in the context of denoising, there's seldom a need to revert once denoising is applied. All subsequent steps remain flexible.Changing the filename, in this workflow, becomes a straightforward task for those familiar with the process.

Demosaicing explained for those who don't know: An original RAW file captures data in a mosaic pattern, typically from a Bayer sensor, where each pixel records only one color (either red, green, or blue). Demosaicing is the process of converting this mosaic into a full-color image. An Enhanced DNG has already undergone this process, and thus the mosaic pattern has been interpreted and converted into full-color pixels.

Notes: You don't need to use "Enhance Details" on every image. It's best used on images where you believe there might be a noticeable improvement in details, especially in areas with fine textures or patterns.

If you use software other than Adobe products for certain steps in your workflow, ensure they fully support Enhanced DNGs. While DNG is more universally accepted than many proprietary RAW formats, there can still be variations in how different software interpret and display DNG files. At this stage, I don't find myself having to go outside of the Adobe ecosystem and when I do, I sometimes use the Topaz AI tools... rarely. LRC gives me all of the tools I need and when I need to do advanced photo editing (e.g. replacing backgrounds or building them from scratch I edit in Photoshop.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@cyborg ant , My last post I specifically addressed to the Author of the thread's original post.

So I have not agreed nor disagreed with any of your posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DdeGannes 

I was clarifying the distinction between the terms 'working' and 'original'. That's all.

Have a great day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mentioned in one of my other responses that I would need to hire someone to prepare my files for editing (e.g. Denoising)

Totally missed there was a batch enhancement function: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/enhance-details.html

This will make life easier but still would be good to receive help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this is a feature request but can we customize the default renaming for enhanced noise reduced images? I think everyone will have their own way and I agree with some of the folks in this thread the Enhanced-NR is too long of an add-on (especially if you DAM filename structures already)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2023 Oct 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Lightroom now generates new DNG files with AI-based noise reduction. Unfortunately the images get new names like IMG001-verbessert-RR.DNG. Is there a way to modify the string that is added to the original name of the picture? Is there a way to set this string to the empty string?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Enhanced-NR" suffix is already much much better than the horrible translated versions of it.

In French it's "Avec Accentuation-Bruit" (which could be translated in English to "with unsharp mask-Noise" which is total nonsense).

A simple find/replace option in lightroom filename would do, but the function is non existing, and no I don't want to go back to the "preserve filename" which my camera choose for me, I just want to get rid of the suffix or choose my own one .

This was my #1 wish for lightroom update as it takes so much boring time to manually replace the suffix, but unfortunately this wasn't the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried to modify the Translated Strings file...

Seems to work for now but we are stuck with the -Enhanced-NR structure, however you can just put --X with the letter of your choice to get a kindof minimal naming.

Not sure it's possible if your LR is in English.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, can you point me to the location of this file, please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On mac it's here:

/Applications/Adobe Lightroom/Adobe Lightroom.app/Contents/Resources/fr.lproj

Replace "fr" by your language (doesn't work for "en")

Then there are two lines to modify.

In my case I searched for "=Avec accentuation" and "=Bruit".
Sometimes there are several matching lines, you need to choose the correct one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Lightroom Classic V13.0.1  on Windows 10. This is how I figured out how to keep the file names when exporting without the 'enhanced-NR' tag. 

1. Select first image in gallery.
2. Shift + click last image in gallery.
3. Hit F2. If this works for you skip to step 6.
4. On command line, select library. 
5. Click rename photos
6. On Filing naming click and select Edit...
7. There will be text written in the box, click mouse after last name and delete them all with backspace key.
8. Select "Preserved Filename" and click the insert button and then done button at bottom right.
9. Export photos like normal. 

This fixed it for me and it appears this changed it for all of my galleries. The next time I import photos I will have to see if it this was a one time fix or if I need to do this with each new gallery.

Hoped it helped. I included some photos below showing the steps. 

-Aaron

screenshot.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preserve filename reverts to the name of the file at import from the camera or sd card, so this doesn't work if you prefer to rename your files to your own liking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 03, 2023 Nov 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I've found that I can control the file names by choosing Export - Custom Settings - (choose settings or preset) - select Custom Name in File Naming - type what I want in the Custom Name input, and start the numbering at 1. Of course this only works if you want all the images you're exporting to have the same file name followed by ascending numbers, which works for me because I use the name of the event. For example, I type something like Open_House as the name, export 48 pictures and end up with files named Open_House_01.jpg through Open_House_48.jpg. 

Hope this isn't a duplicate comment — I didn't read through everything posted. 

Votes

Translate

Translate