• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Export hangs indefinitely with corrupt files rather than producing an error message

LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2024 Apr 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When LR tries to export a photo that's corrupt, the export hangs and never completes. It should produce an error message instead.

Worse, there isn't a way for a plugin to detect and recover gracefully. The call to rendition:waitForRender() will never return, even after the user cancels the corresponding task in the progress bar. Several of my plugins rely on exporting photos, e.g. Any Vision.

To reproduce on LR 13.2 / Mac OS 14.4.1:

1. Download this tiny catalog:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/48dtex70opjseeyhsm0hn/corrupt-bug.2024.04.25.zip?rlkey=hrf6fsoogaklqw...

2. Copy the script "corrupt-bug.lua" from the catalog folder into the Scripts subfolder of the Lightroom settings folder.

3. Start LR.

4. Select the one photo and do File > Export, exporting it as a JPEG.  Observe that the export never completes, with the progress bar showing:

johnrellis_0-1714077369284.png

Also observe that the following error appears when LR is run from Terminal with the -traceback switch:

2024-04-25 18:36:11.364 Adobe Lightroom Classic[91358:6685632] openNegative: <AgErrorID>dng_error_bad_format</AgErrorID>

5. Restart LR.

6. Select the one photo and do Scripts > corrupt-bug. Observe that the export initiated by the script never completes (it should display a message when it does):

johnrellis_1-1714077498099.png

7. Cancel both export tasks in the progress bar by clicking their "x".  Observe that no dialog is displayed by the script, indicating that the call to rendition:waitForRender() has never returned, even though the export has been cancelled.

Idea Under review
TOPICS
macOS , SDK , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Apr 26, 2024 Apr 26, 2024

I've asked the team to comment on this as it may not be a bug per se' but an enhancement request. If they respond otherwise, I will move it back to bugs. 

Status Under review

Votes

Translate

Translate
36 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 26, 2024 Apr 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've asked the team to comment on this as it may not be a bug per se' but an enhancement request. If they respond otherwise, I will move it back to bugs. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Under review

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2024 Apr 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

@Rikk Flohr: Photography, thanks. Note that LR 11.0 and 12.0 handled corrupt files correctly, raising an error:

johnrellis_0-1714149567398.png

johnrellis_1-1714149599950.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 15, 2024 May 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So recently, some of pictures won't get exported. The progression bar just doesn't progress. The weirdest is that it works with similar files but some doesn't work at all. Alternatively I can open it for Edit in Photoshop and export it from there, but it slows down my workflow drastically. My original test files are .DNG files, it seems to work well with jpegs. Export always in jpegs. 

My System Infos : 

Lightroom Classic version: 13.2 [ 202402141005-bf1aeb84 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en-DE
Operating system: Mac OS 14
Version: 14.4.1 [23E224]
Application architecture: arm64
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: NA
SqLite Version: 3.36.0
Built-in memory: 16.384,0 MB
Dedicated GPU memory used by Lightroom: 38,7MB / 10.922,6MB (0%)
Real memory available to Lightroom: 16.384,0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 660,1 MB (4,0%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 407.526,7 MB
Memory cache size: 118,7MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 16.2 [ 1763 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 737MB / 8191MB (9%)
Camera Raw real memory: 737MB / 16384MB (4%)

Cache1:
Final1- RAM:130,0MB, VRAM:5,0MB, Vietnam_Jan2024-L1005775-016.DNG
Final2- RAM:129,0MB, VRAM:2,0MB, Vietnam_Jan2024-L1005754-001.DNG
Final3- RAM:129,0MB, VRAM:2,0MB, Vietnam_Jan2024-L1005944-169.DNG
NT- RAM:388,0MB, VRAM:9,0MB, Combined:397,0MB

Cache2:
final1- RAM:107,0MB, VRAM:0,0MB, Vietnam_Jan2024-L1005944-169.DNG
final2- RAM:107,0MB, VRAM:0,0MB, Vietnam_Jan2024-L1005775-016.DNG
final3- RAM:107,0MB, VRAM:0,0MB, Vietnam_Jan2024-L1005754-001.DNG
T- RAM:321,0MB, VRAM:0,0MB, Combined:321,0MB

Cache3:
m:118,7MB, n:1.525,0MB

U-main: 102,0MB

Standard Preview Size: 3360 pixels
Displays: 1) 1920x1080, 2) 3360x2100

Graphics Processor Info:
Metal: Apple M1
Init State: GPU for Export supported by default
User Preference: Auto

Application folder: /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: /Users/jeremieschuler/Pictures/Catalog Lightroom/Catalog 2024-v13.lrcat
Settings Folder: /Users/jeremieschuler/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) AdobeStock
2) Aperture/iPhoto Importer Plug-in
3) Excire Search
4) Flickr
5) LR/Mogrify 2
6) Negative Lab Pro
7) Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags: None

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 15, 2024 May 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Troubleshooting steps to narrow down the issue:

1. Select one of the problem DNGs and do Metadata > Save Metadata To File. Do you get an error message? 

2. Go to Develop with that DNG -- do you get an error message?

3. Temporarily set Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor to Off. Try the exports -- do they work now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 16, 2024 May 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Yes I get the error message " Could not write metadata. Unknown file I/O error" Screen capture enclosed.

2. Nope works alright.

3. Nope doesn't change , export still not advancing. 

Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 13.51.08.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Yes I get the error message " Could not write metadata. Unknown file I/O error" Screen capture enclosed."

That indicates that LR is encountering some kind of error accessing the file, likely due to a hardware issue or a permissions issue.

Are the photos stored on a cloud drive, e.g. Dropbox or Google Drive?  Many, many users have reported here that can cause issues with LR.

LR 13 introduced a bug where Export hangs rather than produce an error message, which is why your Export is hanging. Adobe hasn't yet acknowledged this bug:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-export-hangs-indefinitely-with-corrupt-file...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer. My files are located on an external SSD. When I will be back in the office I may try to transfer them on my Archiv HDD to see if it makes any difference. 

The weirdest for me is that the "Edit In > Photoshop" function does work and also it doesn't concern all the files that comes from the same shooting (same camera, same date, same drive location, mostly same everything. 

I hope you are right because the process passing through Photoshop is really time consuming. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop and LR have completely different code for accessing files, so it's not inconceivable that one trips over a problem and the other doesn't.  Moving a problem file to a different drive, preferably one that's internal (and thus accessed by a different data path/port/hub/cable), is a good test. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up trying moving one for those "corrupted" file to two differents Hard Drives to see if that would be the problem. Doesn't solve the problem either. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2024 Jun 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue on 6/22/24! I cannot export certain .dng and .nef files from Lightroom Classic v13.3. The export just hangs. It appears to be related to the metadata being saved to the file. If I select a file and do a CMD-S (on Mac), I get an error message that the photo has been changed in an external application. If I select Overwrite Settings, I get an error, "Could not write metadata. Unknown file I/O error (1). PLEASE address this or provide a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 22, 2024 Jul 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export bar works, but nothing is exported 🙂 and it's not for all photos.. part of them don't get exported

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 22, 2024 Jul 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Evelina5EC9, please do these troubleshooting steps:

1. Select one of the problem photos that isn't exporting and do Metadata > Save Metadata To File. Do you get an error message? 

2. Go to Develop with that photo -- do you get an error message?

3. Temporarily set Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor to Off. Try exporting that problem photo -- does it work now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2024 Aug 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a MAJOR problem!! I'm Trying to export 219 photos thayt I originallu moved to my hardrive(desktop folder) on my pc then i imported photos to lightroom. then I edited photos and tried to export them the same way I allways do. it wont export photos. it just stays put. loading on the left up corner stops after 2 exports.  if i choose all of the photos seperatly theres like 12 photos that can be exported, but other 207 wont export. loading just stays put. 

My pc specs are not the problem, i can assure that

I have read every possibility of not being online and original images location that might have changed, but that is not the case. Also existing file. is not on skip mode.  some one please help me. theres like 40hours of work on these pics. And i have a lot of more pictures in line to work with.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some basic information would help:

What software and version NUMBER you talking about?

What operating system version NUMBER?

We need version NUMBERs and not words like "latest" or "up-to-date"

Try resetting Lrc preferences

Try exporting to a different disk

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another diagnostic step: Select one of the photos that won't export and do Metadata > Save Metadata To File. If you see an error message, please post a full-resolution screenshot of the entire LR window including the error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2024 Aug 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

image.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

image.jpg

1.  thats all i get when exporting

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

13.5 version I dont need an attidude I need HELP. Unless youre unable to give it without attitude like that. Dont mind giving it at all.

also reseted prefrences. No help

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 25, 2024 Aug 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "unknown file I/O error" from Save Metadata To File:

johnrellis_0-1724599741522.png

indicates that LR is having problems accessing the file, most likely due to a hardware error or less likely due to a file-permissions problem.  I recommend you run hardware diagnostics on your computer and that disk and/or take it to a technician. Make sure you have current backups.

Export in LR versions prior to 13 would give error messages when it encountered such problems. But the product team doesn't consider this change in behavior in LR 13 a "bug" and has relegated it to being an "idea" for (unlikely) future consideration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderators, @Rikk Flohr: Photography, please merge with this Idea (which should really be a bug, given that all versions prior to LR 13 correctly displayed errors that occurred during Export):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-export-hangs-indefinitely-with-corrupt-file...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a restarting my pc today I got a notificatin from my firewall that theres a troijan on my photoshop file with latest update or smth like that. 

what do you mean hardware? Theres no problen exporting other photos, isnt that weird?  Harddrive problem might be yes, but then wouldnt I be able to move photos on a external drive find their location there and export them then. If it was harddrive? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File I/O errors could also be caused by anti-malware (e.g. Windows Defender) incorrectly blocking access to some files or by actual malware. You could try temporarily disabling your anti-malware to see if that fixes the issue.

Hardware problems often cause intermittent errors, and disk failures can often affect some files but not others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will try that next. Hard drive diagnostics is running right now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problems detected from running hard drive diagnostics 

also tested exporting without antimalware on now. 

no changes 

Votes

Translate

Translate