Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Disable Auto Advance while tethered

Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
I'm using Auto Import on Adobe Lightroom Classic.
When a photo is imported, it is automatically selected. Even though I'm processing the previous photo, which cuts me off in my work on the photo.

Is it possible to configure automatic import so that the treatment photo selection does not change automatically on the last imported photo?

Thank you for your help

PS: I use Adobe Lightroom Classic 11.3.1 and macOS 12.3.1

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

LR 12.0 finally implemented an option to disable Auto Advance with Auto Import:

johnrellis_0-1666224381902.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Released in 12.0

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
21 Comments
LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LrC preferences UNCHECK "Select the Current/Previous ........." and it will do what you want.  You might have to restart LrC to make the setting work.

Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 8.12.58 AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
thank you for your reply.
I just tried but no difference.
I'm developing on a photo, cropping, and when the 2nd photo arrives in automatic import, the selection automatically switches to this new photo, I don't stay on the image I'm working on.
Thank you !

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried this and if you are editing a photo in the designated Auto Import folder than the image in Develop changes to the new photo but if you are editing an image in a different folder than the image in Develop does not change.  Not sure if this is a bug or as designed. @Rikk Flohr: Photography ,  do you know if this is as designed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
thank you for your new answer.
Yes if I work on a photo in another folder the automatic import does not change my image selection, thank you.
I'll try to work like this if the other method doesn't work.
In a concrete situation, I take two photos, it automatically imports the first, and while I work on it (cropping for example) the automatic import imports the second photo and I am cut off in my work because it selects the new photo. I will therefore drag my photo into another folder before processing.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry, i respond with my other account 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is how I remember it working when I would use a Tethered Workflow for Capture and then send the files to a second computer using Auto-Import for ingest. 

A good workaround for this is to use the Add to Collection option in the Auto Import settings dialog to specify an inbound collection to work from. Inside the collection the active image should not be replaced by inbound images. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect, thank you !

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was an old feature request with a fair number of votes to turn off auto advance even when the import folder was selected:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/turn-off-auto-advance-on-import-when-tetherin...

And I seem to recall Rikk was the one of the first ones to vote for it! That thread discussed the workaround of using Quick Collection.  But it appears it didn't get copied into the new forums :-<

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2022 May 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have got a sony camera and I use imaging edge remote app on mac OS. Folders are set correctly and everything works, except for one little thing.

As I take photos, the new ones are being imported to an existing folder and whatever I am doing with a different photo, when a new one is imported the selection of the photo switches to the new one. This is sometimes desirable but sometimes not.

As I will be taking photos I need another person at the same time to use the computer and select and rank the photos that I take. If with every new photo lightroom will deselect current picture and select and jump to a new one this will be much harder. Is there a way to avoid this?

Cheers : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll need to use this workaround:

1. Uncheck the option Preferences > Select The Current/Previous Import Collection During Import. 

2. When you want to work on a photo, add it to the Quick Collection or another collection and work on it from there.

There's been a longstanding feature request from many years ago to add an option to correct this. But the feature request didn't get copied to the new forums, so all the votes for it were lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not need to work on a photo, I need to be able to view all of them and mark/rank them. The collection method did not work for me. The new photos were added to the same collection and the selection skipped to the newest photo. I started viewing photos in library mode with grid and I enlarged the photos. That did the trick for me  🙂

Thanks for your reply 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The collection method did not work for me. The new photos were added to the same collection and the selection skipped to the newest photo"

This would only occur if you were in the same collection that you specified as Add To Collection in File > Auto Import > Auto Import Settings. (Note that a longstanding bug causes Auto Import Settings not to display the previous collection that you set.)

In general, if your current source is the folder or collection specified in Auto Import Settings, then Auto Import will select new photos as they are imported.  You need to be a different folder or collection than specified.  You must have selected All Photographs in Library Grid view, so LR didn't select the newly imported photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We are shooting and editing at the same time using Camranger 2. We are shooting in JPG and using the auto import to get them into lightroom Classic on a Mac.

When the new photos are coming in, it automatically shows the imported images unless you have multiple images selected. Is there any way to not have it go to the new images? It makes it very difficult to edit when the photos are constantly moving off the ones you are trying to edit!

Thank you in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a longstanding misfeature of LR that Adobe has never bothered to address.  See this post for a clumsy workaround:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-disable-auto-advance-while-tethered/idc-p/1...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

LR 12.0 finally implemented an option to disable Auto Advance with Auto Import:

johnrellis_0-1666224381902.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography, please mark this Idea as implemented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Released in 12.0

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Released

Votes

Translate